1.    #1  
    Hehe... maybe we need a separate forum just for all the hacking that's going on?

j/k

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    As if this thing weren't buggy enough already. As soon as I can hotsync without a problem, I'll think about hacking it. :-)
    I second gfunk's notion. Many people complain about threads not being seen if they reside somewhere other than in the 600 or 650 hardware forums, but in the 650 forum nearly every thread gets doomed to page 2 in no time due to all the hacking threads there.

Just my thoughts. You mods do a great job and I love spending time here.
    Last edited by leadtrumpetdave; 12/22/2004 at 02:29 AM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    I second gfunk's notion. Many people complain about threads not being seen if they reside somewhere other than in the 600 or 650 hardware forums, but in the 650 forum nearly every thread gets doomed to page 2 in no time due to all the hacking threads there.

Just my thoughts. You mods do a great job and I love spending time here.
    Well, if members had the ability to ignore threads and/or have an option to only view threads with posts they have not read I think this would be less of an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I like being a member here and I have learned a lot of valuable information - I just think the experience could be enhanced.

You should take a look at a forum like delphi forums. There are various levels of membership, from free to very inexpensive to inexpensive (IMO). Lots of good tools too.

http://www.delphiforums.com/aboutDelphi.htm
    Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum/Visor Phone/Treo 180/Treo 270/Treo 300/Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncosFan
    Well, if members had the ability to ignore threads
    This can be somewhat accomplished by using the Subscribe feature.

have an option to only view threads with posts they have not read
    There is one already ... it's called New Posts
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Also, I have the ability to ignore anything I choose to ignore!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    What if we changed Utilities to Utilities and Hacks?
    Well, if members had the ability to ignore threads and/or have an option to only view threads with posts they have not read I think this would be less of an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I like being a member here and I have learned a lot of valuable information - I just think the experience could be enhanced.

You should take a look at a forum like delphi forums. There are various levels of membership, from free to very inexpensive to inexpensive (IMO). Lots of good tools too.

http://www.delphiforums.com/aboutDelphi.htm
    Funny, I can ignore your posts without using the ignore function. I just do it. Try it it's very effective.

Mods keep up the good work. Don't listen to one guy and start over. Ridiculous.

K the Utilities and Hacks idea is a good one.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    This can be somewhat accomplished by using the Subscribe feature.

There is one already ... it's called New Posts
    I do use the subscribe feature on thread that I am highly interested but it does not help when so many new threads get started that I have no interest in. When the subscribed threads get old and die they just make my subscriptions difficult to manage. An ignore thread feature would essentially allow me to "clean up" my viewing desktop with less effort.

Thank you for the New Posts suggestion. Two concerns I have there is that I see new posts for all folders (still too many threads) AND I have to read all of the New Posts because when I return to the TreoCentral discussion site they will not be new any more even if I haven't read them. When I clicked on the New Post link that you provided there were 15 pages of New Posts and it's been about 36 hours since I last visited this site. Wow!

It would be great if the thread was considered "new" until I opened that thread.

Not trying to be a pain in the B - but just giving some input. You can let me know if it is not welcome and I will remove/change my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Funny, I can ignore your posts without using the ignore function. I just do it. Try it it's very effective.

Mods keep up the good work. Don't listen to one guy and start over. Ridiculous.
    You're sort of missing the point. It's not posts or specific individuals that I want to ignore. It's entire threads. Think about it for a while.

I've never stated or implied (to the best of my knowledge) that the moderators don't do good work. I just thought I'd make some suggestions to improve the "product".

I've always considered the treo to be a bit out of the mainstream and used by people who like new techology and can think out of the box.

I'm a little suprised, then, when I encounter someone who is apparently a treo user but is not open to listening to new ideas and instead criticizes them.
    if you would like new features in the forum perhaps you should go here http://www.vbulletin.com/

The mods here didnt make the forum they bought it. If you want features to be added suggest it to the developer.

this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in the past and if it were possible with the current software I am sure it would be set up.

I have a very open mind, for what it's worth. Thats why I read almost all the new threads when I visit. It seems I learn something new about my treo or just life, everyday.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    The mods here didnt make the forum they bought it.
    Actually, TC bought it. The mods are just here to keep things orderly (well, at least try too ). We have no programming capabilites at all; that's handled by the admins. There's some general settings that I can get to, but it's very basic stuff and doesn't address any of the issues mentioned here.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    When I clicked on the New Post link that you provided there were 15 pages of New Posts and it's been about 36 hours since I last visited this site. Wow!

It would be great if the thread was considered "new" until I opened that thread.
    Imagine how many pages you'd have then!

Not trying to be a pain in the B - but just giving some input. You can let me know if it is not welcome and I will remove/change my signature.
    Constructive input is always welcome.

As for the ability to ignore threads, you've got to be able to see them all before you can even begin to think about ignoring them. The combination of New Posts and Subscribed Threads essentially allows you to do that. If there's a post you want to follow, subscribe to it. Then you'll be able to easily tell if there's been any activity on it.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Actually, TC bought it. ..
    Thats what i meant Mark.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Thats what i meant Mark.
    I know what you meant...

It just seems that most people think the moderators do ALL the work around here (and have ALL the answers*). The fact is that we just monitor/maintain the discussion that goes on in the forums, not how the forums operate.

*FYI: I DO know it all... I just can't remember it all at once!!!
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    I appreciate ALL of your input - I'm ready to move on...
    I know what you meant...

It just seems that most people think the moderators do ALL the work around here (and have ALL the answers*). *FYI: I DO know it all... I just can't remember it all at once!!!
    I know all as well. I just choose not to share it. And when I say something that is wrong (I think that happened once) it's disinformation. All part of my master plan.
    mods are funny.... but then looks aren't everything.
    — Ed Howdershelt