Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    How about how could you have made such a big mistake with the T5? And what possible rational could you have for not including Wi-fi? It would have been so easy to simplely call the device the Tungsten E2 and price it at $300. Then you wouldn't have driven countless Palm OS fans like myself away from the platform (I am currently eargerly awaiting a Dell Axim x30 after using Palm based devices for eight years)
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrawley
    I would also like to know if an ipsec vpn has been considered for the OS and devices. This seemes to be a significant barrier to further adoption within the corporate or IT admin market. My device's usefulness and my desire to upgrade would increase 100-fold with this ability.
    I second this and would also add the need for SecurId card support along with IPSec VPN. The only way I can get corporate email today is by violating all kinds of corporate security rules by installing tunnelling software on my PC at work to get around the company firewall.
    I am now on my 3rd Treo 600 within 1 year. I also had 4 Treo 180's.
    - What sort of percentage failure rate are you seeing on Treo's?
    - What do you attribute the cause to be?
    - Is this having a bad affect on PalmOne's profitability?
    - What is PalmOne doing to address reliability?
    Can PalmOne set up some kind of hardware / software wish lists on your website where people can add and vote for the features / fixes they most want to see for the Treo? I think this would help PalmOne and its customers since you would be working on the things that are most important to your customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Can PalmOne set up some kind of hardware / software wish lists on your website where people can add and vote for the features / fixes they most want to see for the Treo? I think this would help PalmOne and its customers since you would be working on the things that are most important to your customers.
    I have to second this.

The user is the customer, not the cell phone companies.
    Will PalmOne improve on the weak vibrator on the Treo 600 and allow for Wireless connectivity? The reason to move away from Palm to Pocket PC for me would be the lack of Wireless connectivity on the Treo 600, which is now offered by recently released devices like the HP iPAQs. Why would PalmOne release a WiFi card and yet make it compatible with the low end handhelds and not their flagship - the Treo 600? Why is PalmOne holding back on Bluetooth and WiFi - would they like to loose customers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo_600
    Will PalmOne improve on the weak vibrator on the Treo 600 and allow for Wireless connectivity? The reason to move away from Palm to Pocket PC for me would be the lack of Wireless connectivity on the Treo 600, which is now offered by recently released devices like the HP iPAQs. Why would PalmOne release a WiFi card and yet make it compatible with the low end handhelds and not their flagship - the Treo 600? Why is PalmOne holding back on Bluetooth and WiFi - would they like to loose customers?
    Another great question. It is rumored that wifi and especially bluetooth is not supported by the Treo 600 due to pressure from the cell phone carriers who do not want the Treo to be used as a conduit for portable computers.
    I want to thank Palm for a pleasant customer support experience. I have a detailed thread with the problem and response at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...753#post424753

Basically, this encounter was very pleasant, much better than an experience I had with a Zire 71 when they actually lost my replacement, primarily because the original call taker couldn't understand English enough to get my name and address correct. This one went smoothly from beginning to end.

FYI: I use my palm to manage diabetes and without it my blood sugar was under very poor control, so it was difinately a quality of life issue. I would have found another backup if it had become more than a control issue.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have seen several press releases on an upcoming Blackberry stack for use with a Treo 600 and later models. How much longer do we corporate customers have to wait for Blackberry software to work on our Palm devices? Right now I have quite a few users who want Treo 600's with the same Blackberry e-mail convenience, but we as a corporation have already heavily invested in the Blackberry Enterprise server and we can't recommended buying the Treo's because we don't yet have an e-mail product that works as well as the Blackberry(and we have too much invested already to bring another software vendor onboard, i.e. Good Technology).

Along that same line, how we would be able to beta-test the new Blackberry stack for use on a Treo?

For your reference - http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5386928.html

Thanks,
    Scott Snyder
    Okay, trying not to ask about new products or whine about existing ones ...

1) How do you see "smart phones" being used in the future? I'm not asking about product roadmaps, but just a general sense of where you think mobile connectivity is going next. A vague question indeed, but I 'd love to hear your thoughts on the big picture. Any examples of potential inroads that aren't currently being explored but might be some day?

2) As product folks, what has the transition from Palm to Handspring to palmOne been like? Do you feel the philosohies of the different companies have shaped your product designs? How?

3) How do you come up with new product names? I imagine a battle scene over a big meetingroom table ...
    I'd like to know how Palm One views developers that target the treo.

As one, I don''t find I get any support from Palm One.

There is a forum - but I don't get the impression that anyone from the inside posts there (as for example Ben Combee posts on the Palm Dev forum). There are a lot of unexpected quirks where some help would be appreciated!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Why does the T600 not support USB debugging - this is a huge pain - particularly as the simulator is not a great representation of the device.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    dear sir is it possible to save pictures from webpage if yes then how can we do so?
    1. Do you feel/expected big differences after taking over Handspring? If yes, in what?
    2. What things you have hopped do after the merge with Handspring that didnít happen as you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    As said in the announcement, they will be unable to comment on future products, and most likely certain future strategies. This is a time to ask them about why they did something, or what they did in the past that we don't know about, It's up to you to than interpret their answer to what it means for the future...
    Perhaps. Perhaps both you and they should interpret the questions. It seems clear that the only things of interest to those here are new products and new product features. Oh, well. There still seem to be a few late investors who wonder whether or not they will survive. Those of us who were wiped out in the first implosion could care less what happens on the second one.

[And, no. I really do not expect this post to pass the filter.]
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/14/2004 at 07:07 AM.
    when is this interview?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I was wondering also.
    I have a Treo 600 and I am frustrated with the serial port. I have several serial devices I would want to use the Treo with but can not due to how the serial port is configured even with the Treo Serial Hot Sync Cable.

I really need future Treos to adopt the full Palm Universial Connector an port with both USB and Serial Support.

Items that just will not work with tht Treo but will with the Tungsten T include varios GPS devices and the ActiveECG device.
    I had to put in my two bits worth, even though it has been mentioned in other posts. My question:

Why in the WORLD do you not offer a palm device currently with wifi and bluetooth? This is a serious lapse in your strategy. More and more people are moving to Dell and HP pda's simply because of this problem.

In addition, personally, I think it would be better to offer the best Treo 6xx you can, and include wifi and bluetooth, and let the carriers themselves decide whether to carry it or not. The market will handle that. Those of us who want those features will simply not do business with carriers that don't allow features we want and need!

If a palm unit (handheld) is not available soon, with wifi and bluetooth, and high res screen, I will be one of those that jump to the Dell Axim camp. I can still use a treo, or for that matter, any other phone.
    Here are my requests:
    1) Better memory management use of sim cards. Internal memory is used up to quickly.
    2) A cover for the sd/mmc slot to prevent the card from popping out.
    3) For mobile workers, features like To-Do lists should have alarms built in...this should not be something that you should have to buy another app for.
    4) File management program.
    5) The rability to remove/replace certain apps like using an enhanced web browser in place of blazer.
    6) Blackberry server compatability out of the box. There are many of us that are employees of corporations using Blackberry servers and are waiting for the ability for the Treo to work with the Blackberry server. Everytime I "sell" the Treo to other potential users, the one argument I have a hard time countering is the e-mail situation. How much longer will it take to get this feature working?
    7) From a marketing perspective, is Palm planning to do more marketing outreach? I work in NY where people are constantly exposed to technology in the corporate world and I find that most people don't have a clue as to what the Treo or even the bare minnimum Palm can do. I have had 6 Palm devices prior to this one and constanly selling the features of Palms to even other Palm users. Also, is their a strategy for educating consumers as to the greater capabilities of the Palm as opposed to the Blackberry.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast