Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jishaq
    I develop commercial applications for the Treo 600. I've heard that my Sprint Treo 600 has the capability of knowing its latitude and longitude through an augmented GPS system that triangulates both on GPS signals and cellular tower locations. It's simply a matter of my carrier "throwing the switch" for this information to be deployed to my device. I can only assume this is true for the rest of the Treo family.

I think this GPS information should be made available to all developers through a publicly-exposed API set in Garnet, and not just to those big fish who have negotiated special and costly business licenses with carriers. I'm talking about the real grassroots developer community that is responsible for making Palm OS as popular as it is today.

I realize that for this to happen, there needs to be a trust established between the application using the GPS information and the user of that application. Otherwise, it can be easy for malicious applications to invade the privacy of its unknowing user by tracking his or her location, for example.

The developer community's thoughtful use of this position data can take the usability of the Treo family of smartphones and push it to a new level. As a simple example: Whenever my Treo determines that it is located in my house, it should enable call forwarding to my home landline.

Can you share your thoughts on publishing such an API for real-world developers to call? And perhaps ideas on how to achieve the user / application trust for proper use of this GPS information?

Thank you for your time.
    -Jeff Ishaq
    This is a much better phrased question than my original one about A-GPS and location based services. I have to 2nd this question.
    Over time, do you see demand for smart phones growing more on the business side, or consumer?

What do you think of the numerous form factors found in emerging smart phones? Can you comment on what you like and don't like?

Does it help P1 to have closer relationships with some networks over others (eg, Sprint v. Verizon)?

To what extent is network testing a constraining factor in launching on different networks?

Will there continue to be a market demand for bundling more and more functionality into handhelds?

How long is the replacement cycle for new devices, and do you expect it to slow down anytime soon (as it has in the PC world)?

What's most important to P1's success? Innovation, speed to market, product design, or something else?

Do Nokia and other mobile phone companies have any capabilities that Palm One is weak in?

How much overlap is there in the technology required in handsets for the different networks?
    What do you see as the biggest threat to widespread smartphone adoption?

What do you see as the biggest threat to palmOne?
    PalmOne has had great success in USA but hasn't enjoyed the same success in Europe & Asia. Will PalmOne be seriously targetting markets outside the USA and will you be going for simultaneous worldwide release of models.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    I'd like to know if the rumor is true that the idea for including a camera was not considered in the original design but added when Sprint wanted to promote its photo sharing service.

In the least, could exposure control be added as a software fix or is the camera function not considered important by p1?
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    I would also like to know if an ipsec vpn has been considered for the OS and devices. This seemes to be a significant barrier to further adoption within the corporate or IT admin market. My device's usefulness and my desire to upgrade would increase 100-fold with this ability.
    when will you release a WIFI enabled treo ?
    ...and every possible wifi related question...
    With Linux now overtaking Mac os on the desktop this year, when can we expect Palm Desktop to be ported to Linux?
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I used to have a T-Mo Sidekick before I moved over to the Treo 600. I definitely like the Treo over the Sidekick but the Sidekick does do somethings right that the Treo should follow.

Sidekick incorporates software like e-mail, web, and IM to its core applications in the OS. I know PalmSource (separate company now, but still) has incorporated e-mail and web in the Garnet OS but it really needs to do the same for IM too.

That being said, a lot of the useful apps that I used on the Treo 600 often crashes. It has gotten better w/ the latest firmware updates that was released months ago, but I still get the odd crashes and freezes here and there. Can PalmOne have something like Divx have w/ the hardware (more like the other way around) where PalmOne certifies that the software meets the very strict requirements of the Treo 600 to reduce and eliminate the crashes and freezes?

Finally, if the above is not possible due to the incredible amount of resource involved, how about separating the phone function from the PDA function? What I mean is how some laptops now have these instant-on functions that let you play CD/DVD right away w/o using Windows (probably using Linux). Is it possible for the Treo even under a hard reset to at least be able to receive phone calls?
    Can yopu ellaborate on high bandwidth technologies and when they might be integrated into the Treo?

- what about Wifi?
    - what about 3G and EVDO?
    - what about WiMAX?

Which of these technologies are most likely to appear in a Treo and when?
    Still trying to find out if the firmware upgrade will lock my unlocked phone to T Mobile, my current provider.
    Thanks.
    Qi Note
    Since the Treo 650 will have Bluetooth, will PalmOne also be selling PalmOne-compatible Bluetooth connectivity kits for printers so we can print wirelessly from the new Treo?
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    will 3gp a/v formats be adopted in future iterations of the Treo?

will the native MIDI-only ringtone manager on Treo ever be updated to handle a format besides MIDI? (i use lightwav now, but would like to see native support).

less crashes with 3rd party apps would be nice...
    What about Nextel, will we ever see the Treo line working on that network? How about integrating GPS solutions - If the Treo line is being actively marketed to businesses wouldn't integrated GPS and online asset tracking (like Nextel has) be marketable addition to the Treo line?

Dunc
    Thrid party applications usually provide a fantastic solution to either a small or wide customer base. Sometimes a developer creates a program so seemingly simple and useful to almost everyone I question why Handspring, now PalmOne, does not include the same solution in the OS or a firmware update. For this question, consider the features of KeyCaps600, TreoAlertMgr, and Butler. What do you think of these programs and do you feel like you have overlooked something in development when a program like this is created? Historically, do you attempt to incorporate similar features in future releases or do you steer clear of upsetting the balance between Palm and Third Party Development?
    In general, all Treo models to date have featured middle-of-the-line hardware and features at top-of-the-line prices. For example, the Treo 600 included a low-res screen, no bluetooth, no wi-fi, a low-quality camera with horrible software support, no flash, an integrated battery, and no SMS support for nearly the first 6 months it was out. Nevertheless, it was priced at $600 before carrier discounts. What does PalmOne see as the incremental value they provide that justifies their price points? Do they believe that this pricing strategy is sustainable with increasing competition? If not, are they inclined to make their cameras better or cheaper?
    Currently, users of the treo 180 and 270 devices cannot use GPRS on the German T-Mobile network. That upsets a lot of users in Germany. The problem is that T-Mobile did some modifications to their network in order to make UTMS work. Now neither Handspring/palmOne nor T-Mobile want to take responsibility for the problem. Since the 180/270 was never offered by T-Mobile in Germany they don't want to do anything about it and palmOne refuses to publish a firmware update.

Of course, this is a local problem but could happen to anyone. Especially those users with a first generation treo could end up with a worthless device because palmOne doesn't want to support them anymore.

My question therefore: How much support for treo 180/270 users (and once the next treo model hits the market, for the treo 600) can we expect from palmOne. Are they going to support older devices that stopped working because providers modified their networks?

Also (but this is a 'future' question): Is palmOne expanding their mobile buisness to Germany, since we don't have Orange but still would like to buy treos in combination with new mobile contracts?

best regards,
    andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    The announcement about running a Blackberry client on Palm is THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PLUS for Treo takeup in the last year!!!!!
    How significant do YOU see it? How thoroughly are you going to support it!

Cheers,
    James.
    Many people don't use the calendar or other functions of their phone because they are too hard to use. But these same folks don't care for a $600 super-phone either. The Palm OS is known for being easy to learn and use. Perhaps there's a market for a cheap <$100 Treo (i.e B/W screen, single band, no expansion). Is PalmOne's business model compatible with low-end Palm devices? Or is it only profitable to go after the high-end?
    I've been a loyal user of the Palm OS since the USR pilot 1000. The big advantage of the Palm over the windows CE devices has been the simplicity and ease of use. Instead of throwing massive amounts of hardware, Palm concentrated on figuring out which features people really needed. (Graffiti vs. hand writing recognition, PC connectivity vs. direct printer drivers, able to fit in a shirt pocket vs. bigger screen). This resulted in devices that were useful but also affordable (or profitable?). I knew folks that bought a Windows PDA because it had "more memory for the same price" but then a month afterwards, the PDA sat unused in the desk drawer.

But recently, it seems PalmOne is adding feature after feature indiscriminately, with size, cost and battery life, suffering. Surely, we enthusiasts will ask for feature after feature, but the early Palms were successful because they were useful to more than us hardcore techies. I worry the resulting complexity will make the palmOS as hard to use as the PocketPCs, and that the PalmOne is trying to follow in the PocketPC footsteps while abandoning the Palm's advantages. If you concentrate on playing the hardware game with Microsoft’s OEMs, I fear you will lose. Could you please please allay my fears?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast