Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I think that the treo 600 is a great device that will proof to be a classic. But I think that the SD card should be paced in a place where it wont pop up every once in a while. Also a better screen would be nice.
    I will second the request to ask a question about VPN connectivity. This is a major downfall for a device like this to enter into the corporate world. The Ironic thing is my old Treo 270 worked with an IPSEC VPN connection but the 600 (which was geared toward corporate sales) does not.

Does PalmOne have plans to address this IPSEC VPN issue with the current Treo 600 line or future products?

Second set of questions: Why does PalmOne wait until the last moment to announce new products? How do you expect large companies to purchase newer devices when they get released when they have no time to prepare or plan? Do you feel that the delay in future information can hurt future sales due to other consumer options?
    When might we expect the software that will allow our Treo 600 to interface with blackberry enterprise servers?

thanks
    1) Performance and reliability is very important to me.

No matter how god the PDA functions are, the Treo must be a great phone.

I get multiple complaints about echo or low volume when talking on the phone.

2) In the US we have a multiple of mutually exclusive networks. Coverage is especially weak in rural areas. If one has a GSM phone, there you may not be able to roam on other GSM carriers.

One solution is to have a an Analog radio in the GSM and CDMA so you could at least make a connection when out of the digital footprint. This is possible since SAMSUNG and Kyocera palm phones have analog support and Nokia and SonyEricson have GAIT phones

3) On a simple design, I would love to see a small flip phone varient of the TREO, possibly with stylus input instead of the minikeyboard. A

4) l phone varients need to be available as a generic (CDMA or GSM) version so users on networks other than Sprint or ATT can still activate a smartphone on smaller carriers like Allltel, CellularSouth, and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdasilva
    The Treo 600 only has support for PPTP VPN, but not for IPSec VPN, which is very common in the corporate world. Other competitive devices such as the Nokia Communicator have native IPSec VPN support.
    Really???? As far as I know Treo600 has no VPN at all. I must bought Mergic VPN to do that... hmmm. I so... the problem is no at Treo600, the problem could be on the third party software you are using.

Related to Nokia Communicator... at least the 9110i has no native VPN thing... may be the 9210 or the new one.
    Nokia 9110i -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600
    Now that PalmOne is the legal owner of the Treo 600, and the soon to be released Treo 650, will the quality of the components used be improved?

As it is now, some of the components used in the present model are really quite lame and appear to be some of the absolute cheapest and most unreliable components ever used in a supposedly flagship product.

Not closely related to your quality issue but in the same thought process, when is Palm going to fix the nifty DualDate application and make it compatible with OS5. I mean really, it cannot take that much effort. If Palm is not going to fix DualDate, then make the source code available so us developers can fix it and make use of the product.
    Last edited by quickster; 09/26/2004 at 11:29 AM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    if the 650 is not to have WiFi built in, will it at least use a standard SD card so that 3rd party Wifi cards can be used ??? (and other application's cards as well.)

Why is there not more cooperation with 3rd party developers in the production of drivers for Palm devices so that those developers will produce cards for Palm --instead of restricting their work to PPC hardware.

Palm OS particapants should recognize that they all share in the health of their endangered eco-system. Its unforgivable that companies making Wifi and bluetooth sd devices had no assistance from either Palm 1 or Source.
    WIFI WIFI WIFI WIFI

Also are any VoIP applications being developed like the new Motorola CN620 that is a VoFi phone that branches cellular networks with 802.11 so you have full PBX functionality on your wireless set while on the 802.11 network.
    It's completely understandable why they won't comment on future products... this is a desire to reach out to their fans/consumers and address their concerns, not make a press release or announcement that everyone will be reporting as news.
    Anyhow, my couple questions...

1) I have, as have many other Treo 600 users I believe, gone through numerous handsets due to "Network Search" errors or other hardware-related failures. I believe the Treo 600 is a quality device, but it is only by the willingness of the carriers to continually replace my defective units that I am still willing to endure these problems. Can you give any explanation to your "mostly satisfied" customers, and/or assurances that it will cease to be a problem in the future?

2) Many customers enjoy the ability to replace their handset's battery to extend overall use during the day, but also to purchase a new battery after the first battery's life dwindles. By making the battery unremoveable, the Treo 600 limited the lifespan of any handset to that of its initial battery, as well as condemning its user to ever-shortening battery life. What is your opinion on Handspring's stated trade-off of battery life for removeability in designing the Treo 600?

I hope those aren't too long, and I hope I'm not the only one who'd like to hear them answered!

-Seph
  10.    #50  
    We'll most likely rephrase any question asked here to make it more indepth and draw in and combine other users questions into one... There have been some good topics raised - we'll definitly have a question regarding product quailty. Network search will be saved for an entirely seperate article in the near future, as we've been working with PalmOne to address the issue - we'll have more info about this within the month hopefully.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    How easy would it be to integrate GPS into a Palm smartphone?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Please add the ability to use the phone keypad to generate DTMF tones at any time, while in other apps. (At least the address book)

While listening to VoiceMail I take down messages and add names and phone numbers to my address book. With the Treo600 this requires switching from the address book back to the phone app just to hit "4" to replay a message, then back to the addess book, find the new contact, try to enter the #, back to the phone app to hit "4" again etc. etc. etc.

Very unuser friendly and very unPalm like.

Thanks for the Great product! Treo600 I've been a user since the original Palm Pilot

Thanks!
    -Vincent
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    How easy would it be to integrate GPS into a Palm smartphone?
    I'd like to second the GPS question. Before anyone complains about battery life of such a system, Motorola makes some phones that include GPS on the Nextel network. This opens up a wide variety of location based services (LBS) such as getting relevant information from local.google.com (without having to type in an address). Finding points of interest would be extremely value application for many people and it's the tip of the LBS area.

I realize PalmOne would have to work with the carriers to get this to work in an efficient way, but what amazing applications could be written with Treo's bigger screen, keyboard, unlimited data plan of some carriers.
    How difficult would it be to provide a more powerful IR blaster to the Treo to make it useful as a remote control. Sony did this a few years back. With this you could not only control your audio equipment, but also use it in home automation tasks when paired with X-10 equipment. I believe that one minor change would open a whole new set of applications and enthusiasts. Small change for yet another converged device. If battery is a concern, it could have a low and high setting, where low would make it function as it does today.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    How difficult would it be to provide a more powerful IR blaster to the Treo to make it useful as a remote control. Sony did this a few years back. With this you could not only control your audio equipment, but also use it in home automation tasks when paired with X-10 equipment. I believe that one minor change would open a whole new set of applications and enthusiasts. Small change for yet another converged device. If battery is a concern, it could have a low and high setting, where low would make it function as it does today.
    I second that! It's all in the wording!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Voice Dial: Why wasn't voice dial included on the T600? This is a feature that the unit really needs for practicality as well as safety. And since it was not included, has P1 considered releasing a patch or data to 3rd party developers to develop this much needed ability?

Installed Software: It was very cumbersome as an intial purchaser (and early October adapter) to have to hunt down and install apps such as Email, Ptunes, etc. What is the logic behind not including these standard apps in the unit as factory installed?

Flash: As I use the digital camera quite a bit, it would have made such a quality difference had the T600 had an internal flash. A flash makes the difference between good and dark pics in various lighting settings. What is the reason for not including a flash for the camera?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    You've obviously integrated additional features with each product generation. Do you anticipate a continuation of this trend (e.g. adding GPS, FM radio, etc. to the Treo line) or do you see a future where a line of products satisfies each feature niche?

For example, I carry a 40GB ipod, 3.2 MP digital camera, and Treo (thankfully both my PDA and cellphone combined) everywhere with me. Do you see a future Treo replacing my ipod and digital camera with comparable features, or do you see a digital camera Treo line, digital music Treo line, and data-centric Treo line?
    go.digital
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Flash: As I use the digital camera quite a bit, it would have made such a quality difference had the T600 had an internal flash. A flash makes the difference between good and dark pics in various lighting settings. What is the reason for not including a flash for the camera?
    I suspect the answer to this one would be that it would be a battery killer (although it would be great to have one!) Why didn't they include any lighting settings or a digital zoom with the built-in OS?

What effect do you think EVDO and VoIP will have on multifunction devices in the next few years?

What's the coolest thing you've ever done with your Treo?

What's your favorite free application for the Treo?

What are your favorite WAP sites?

Do you see any potential for social changes coming from smartphones? What do you think will come from the relatively new ability to record and transmit audio/video from a small portable device to the Internet?

What do you think is the single most important reason someone should buy a Treo instead of another smartphone? What do you see as the Treo's greatest weakness?

Where do you see convergent devices going in the next 5 years? 10 years?

Who's your carrier?

Nareau
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I suspect the answer to this one would be that it would be a battery killer (although it would be great to have one!) Why didn't they include any lighting settings or a digital zoom with the built-in OS?
    Could be, but thought I would ask. I had a Samsung A600 prior to the T600 and it had both flash and zoom and I did not notice a drain on the battery. But the T600 has more things going on being "smart" and all.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast