View Poll Results: Do you want the "OT" forum as an OPTION in the "New Post" search?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 48.33%
  • No

15 25.00%
  • Have the Mods keep the political stuff in check

3 5.00%
  • Yes, and have the mods keep the political stuff in check

8 13.33%
  • Remove the forum all together

8 13.33%
  • Bannana pudding

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In this post, jasonpettus asked to have the forum removed due to all the political stuff.
    MOL had an idea to have the forum as an option in the "New Post" search, verses removing it all together.
    What do you think?
    THIS IS NOT a poll ABOUT REMOVING THE "OFF TOPIC" FORUM. It's a poll about having THE OPTION TO HAVE IT SEEN IN THE "NEW POST" SEARCH OR NOT.
    The moderators have made it pretty clear that "Off Topic" will stay.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58084
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 09/20/2004 at 09:25 PM.
    Did you mean "New Posts"? If that's that case, I would certainly like having it not included in "New Post" if I chose to.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks TurboT, I fixed it, and yes you were correct.
    Regards, Matt
    Sure, it would be a good idea if that option were available. Howver, I'm guessing that the vBulletin software just comes "as-is", and that the "new posts" search ability can't be modified. If the option can be added - great. If not, just leave it alone.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    In this post, jasonpettus asked to have the forum removed due to all the political stuff.
    MOL had an idea to have the forum as an option in the "New Post" search, verses removing it all together.
    What do you think?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58084
    I don't see a post from MOL? Just curious.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    I don't see a post from MOL? Just curious.
    Post #23, 2nd page, middle of the page. Either you are not reading with your glasses on or you have Mol in your ignore list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Post #23, 2nd page, middle of the page. Either you are not reading with your glasses on or you have Mol in your ignore list.
    Yes I see it now, Duh on me.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Please leave Off Topic alone. It is the most free-thinking, fun and creative part of most forums, including TC. Surly there are disagreements and, occasionally, bad-mouthing but life isn't perfect either. Read the thread on Atheism: it is educational and respectful.
    What would be done? A simple choice in your profile if you want or DO NOT want the Off Topic to be included with the "new post" search function. I am 90% sure it would default to being ACTIVE so unless you did not want to see it, it would be in every search you do.

As the poll states "Do you want the "OFF TOPIC" forum as an option on the "NEW POST" search ?"

Sorry for the confusion. The linked post is where there was a discusion about removing said forum.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 09/20/2004 at 09:27 PM.
    I understand Mol's idea and I guess I'd be OK with that. But, still, I can't help it voicing my opinion: No-one is forcing jasonpettus, or anybody else who visits TC, to go the Off Topic areas and read the political discussions there. Same with radio or TV or newspapers: No one is forcing a person to listen, view or read anything. It's a choice a person makes.
    No one is forcing anyone but I only use the 'new posts' when viewing TC and that include new posts in the off-topic area. I am one of those is tired of the political off-topic threads because most are not discussions they're just rhetoric that get boring to read and I would love the option to not see them when searching new posts.
    I understand Mol's idea and I guess I'd be OK with that. But, still, I can't help it voicing my opinion: No-one is forcing jasonpettus, or anybody else who visits TC, to go the Off Topic areas and read the political discussions there. Same with radio or TV or newspapers: No one is forcing a person to listen, view or read anything. It's a choice a person makes.
    Chick I couldnt agree more. If you dont like em skip em.

To use Chick's example do you call the cable company and ask them to drop a channel because you dont like a show you saw while flipping channels last nite? No, you change the channel.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    To use Chick's example do you call the cable company and ask them to drop a channel because you dont like a show you saw while flipping channels last nite? No, you change the channel.
    Actually Woof, the cable example is exactly what I want. If I don't want a particular channel (i.e. Off-topic), I remove it from my favorites so when I scan channels it is skipped.

Actually, it would nice to configure a personal forum list so in addition to Off-topic, I could remove Treo 300 and other forums that don't interest me.

Actually, i don't subscribe to cable or to any televised media because i don't get that choice. That's the beauty of the interweb thingy. I suppose i'll resort to finding a forum that discusses the Treo. When i want politics i'll go get it. I could care less about what almost anyone on this forum thinks politically (although i have made comments in those threads on occasion). It just gets annoying to be going through the new posts and having a third be biparisan bickering. All we're asking for is the choice to not see them in the search.
    I just want to say that I'm not even sure it's possible to implement yet - this is a very very good third party system that we use, but it can be difficult at times to customize. I think more options is always a good thing - it wouldn't be the default, it would just be an extra option, but I'm not sure we can do it... I'm looking into it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    No one is forcing anyone but I only use the 'new posts' when viewing TC and that include new posts in the off-topic area. I am one of those is tired of the political off-topic threads because most are not discussions they're just rhetoric that get boring to read and I would love the option to not see them when searching new posts.
    Hi Slappy...Hey, are you MENSA??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Hi Claire. no...why do you ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    Hi Claire. no...why do you ask?
    I just thought that for someone your age, you're extremely intelligent
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I just thought that for someone your age, you're extremely intelligent
    I always thought it was my slick side burns that make me look smart (kind of like a geeky Samson)
    Some people seem to be unhappy about the abundance Off Topic posts appearing under "New Posts"... from a marketing point of view, one could argue that this abundance is the result of the popularity of the Off Topic section, which COULD benefit TC in general, specially in the absence of hot technical topics.

I, for instance, don't buy a new mail app or a new Treo model every month, so I don't feel the need of following all the On Topic sections constantly, but the lively Off Topic section keeps me attached to TC...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)

Actually yes, people do call often. They are instructed on ways to block the channel from their digital box, and if they insist and do not have a box, the cable company must comply and send someone out to install a filter for that particular channel. The cable company in my area has been running adverts on this since the ruling

Not to take away from your analogy...it's just a bit different. Parents know one CAN change the channel...they're worried their kids won't Ahh the age of the electronic babysitter.
  20.    #20  
    Just to educate myself, would any of the people that voted "no" to having AN OPTION explain their reason please. "Just becasue" is fine too, but I would like to understand the thought behind it.
    THANKS! Matt
    A simple choice in your profile if you WANT or DO NOT WANT the OFF TOPIC to be INCLUDED WITH the "new post" SEARCH function. I am 90% sure it would default to being ACTIVE so unless you did not want to see it, it would be in every search you do.
    In the end, if would be 100% up to the end user.

Caveat: Miradu does not know if this can be done with this message board engine. Also, I am pretty sure if it can't be done, then nothing will be done, so don't fret
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast