Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Good idea about the post count idea gfunk. Matt, how about putting up a poll to ban politics and religion discussions.
    Why dont you put up your own poll?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    How about this. Don't delete the off-topic forum, but don't use it in the new posts search as stated earlier. However, how about NOT also counting posts in the Off-topic towards your total post count!!! I swear, there's some people here who entire post counts are based on useless off-topic posts!
    GF..Man you hit the nail on the head with the post count deal!!! Kudos
  3. #63  
    woof, I have not done a poll before that's why I asked Matt. Since you answered instead od Matt, would you be so kind to put the poll up? Thanks in advance. I'm on the Treo and to try to put up a poll for the first time from it may be difficult.

    It would be somthing simple:

    Should politics and religion discussions be allowed in the off topics forum. yes or know
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Good idea about the post count idea gfunk. Matt, how about putting up a poll to ban politics and religion discussions.
    OK...How about NOT promoting you commercial cradle venture in the forums
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Good idea about the post count idea gfunk. Matt, how about putting up a poll to ban politics and religion discussions.
    I think that banning Political and Religion topics may be a little harse. I think I know why you want that, but a few bad apples are spoiling the whole mix IMHO. I have no issues with Political or Religion topics IF they don't have an agenda (to convert ones stupid thinking (as the poster views it) to their correct thinking (as the poster views it) and it's more fact then just a view, or better yet, a heathy debate verse bashing.

    I think that having the option for the USER to select, to CHOOSE if off topic is used in THEIR search is a great idea, IF IT CAN BE DONE. Miradu is still unclear if it can be done or not.
    I would still hope that the moderators would delete the policical and relgious posts that are hatefull and have no point other then to belittle or bash.

    just my 2-cents worth


    On a side note: IMHO, this type of post and the answers one gives in them starts the "if you don't see it my way, your a moron". As the saying kinda goes, the best way to ruin a friendship is to discuse Politics or Releigion or go into business. Even I am starting to see people in a new light, and some of that light is not so good. Also, I am sure people are seeing me in a new light and I assume a worse one, and that wories me. BUTthat's life and I am a big boy

    Thanks for the post NewT, and just to make shure you know, nothing I said here is directed tword you.
  6. #66  
    OK, try to post from the heart, not fuled by emotion or hate. Also we can always agree to disagree too.

    A lot of apples and oranges here IMHO

    All said, this bunch of people are a pretty fine bunch. This is really staying civil if you think about it.

    Also, the more I think about it, debate class may have been a neat subject in High School..........

    IT'S all GOOD
  7. #67  
    clairegrrl , You referrin to my Avatar? I have not had an Avatar until very recently, which is Treo speicific, and not off topic for sure. I only put it up after seeing avatars of developers on TC with their product info. I didnlt think it was inappropriate. Are there some guidelines I am violating? If so, please`
  8. #68  
    Here's a vote for keeping OT but providing an optional means to by-pass it
  9. #69  
    There is an optional means to by-pass it. Don't read the threads.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    There is an optional means to by-pass it. Don't read the threads.
    Agreed. I actually like seeing all that there is, then picking and choosing what to read. But, I think it's a customer-friendly thing for TC to do if feasible.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    There is an optional means to by-pass it. Don't read the threads.
    HERE HERE!! Good one Kurt! Just skip the ones you dont want. Why does Duh! keep popping into my head?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    woof, I have not done a poll before that's why I asked Matt. Since you answered instead od Matt, would you be so kind to put the poll up? Thanks in advance. I'm on the Treo and to try to put up a poll for the first time from it may be difficult.

    It would be somthing simple:

    Should politics and religion discussions be allowed in the off topics forum. yes or know
    Yes or Know? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

    As far as the poll goes, do it yourself. I have no desire to contribute to your quest to get OT or any part of it banned.

    If I cant discuss politics or religion you cant sell your stuff. How about that?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    There is an optional means to by-pass it. Don't read the threads.
    I don't read the threads, it's the subject of some of them that I have an issue with.

    Anyway, I hope we hear an answer from Miradu soon.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I don't read the threads, it's the subject of some of them that I have an issue with.

    Anyway, I hope we hear an answer from Miradu soon.
    Matt what subjects are you having issue with?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    .

    If I cant discuss politics or religion you cant sell your stuff. How about that?
    Woof,
    I know you didn't address me, but this is kinda apples and oranges. His stuff is TREO stuff, that's not even an Off Topic deal.

    Two wrongs don't make a right (Three lefts do). I don't know, I read that as, if I can't post about politics or religion, then you can't post/sell anything. AKA- Fine, I'll take my toys and go home.

    Woof, also for the record, becasue it seem that some people only read the stuff they can complain about.
    I have no issue with constructive political or religoius posts at all, it's the ones with a adgenda or that are bashing that I have an issue with.

    However, I know I, just like the poster have rights, so that is why I am so Pro Option. This way one can choose. The ones that get offended can not have those post show up, and the ones that want to post posts like that, still can. That should make everyone happy I would assume, except for the people that get mad becasue they then will not be able to force their view on people.

    Heck, this post is getting kinda crazy if you ask me

    I think I may sit the rest out.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Woof,
    I know you didn't address me, but this is kinda apples and oranges. His stuff is TREO stuff, that's not even an Off Topic deal.

    Two wrongs don't make a right (Three lefts do). I don't know, I read that as, if I can't post about politics or religion, then you can't post/sell anything. AKA- Fine, I'll take my toys and go home.

    Woof, also for the record, becasue it seem that some people only read the stuff they can complain about.
    I have no issue with constructive political or religoius posts at all, it's the ones with a adgenda or that are bashing that I have an issue with.

    However, I know I, just like the poster have rights, so that is why I am so Pro Option. This way one can choose. The ones that get offended can not have those post show up, and the ones that want to post posts like that, still can. That should make everyone happy I would assume, except for the people that get mad becasue they then will not be able to force their view on people.

    Heck, this post is getting kinda crazy if you ask me

    I think I may sit the rest out.
    Matt my point was that if he wants to come here and possibly make a profit off his stuff, he should be allowed to do so if it is within the rules of the forum as dictated by it's owner/moderators. That is also what I want, except I want to come here and discuss whatever tiopic I want that fits within the rules of the site. How is it he should be allowed to do so and I am not?
    This site has many things for many people. We all share the treo as common ground but that is not all we are about. TC is what it is because it offers a bit more than just treo. Mytreo.net is great but I dont go there but a couple times a week because it is more just treo. I dont know about you but I talk ON my phone enough I dont want to spend all my other time talking ABOUT it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Matt what subjects are you having issue with?
    Valid question, thanks.
    For example, and I hesitate to post this becasue I don't want the poster to feel I have an issue with them, becasue I don't

    Here are some examples are
    "Proof that Kerry is a Drag Queen"
    "worst president ever"
    " Cost of electing Kerry, food for thought"
    I have not read those, but the titles don't sound very positive, more of a bash or something. Then after I see those titles, I feel (Even though it's not valid I am pretty sure) that other topics are bashing/one sided too like
    "McCain says it all"
    "..Miller lay into Kerry tonight"
    I have not read those either, but now view them all as "so and so is to blame", "so and so is better just becasue" and so on.
    Not really fair if I look at it closer, perhaps I shold go read those and see what thay are about, perhaps I have the subject meaning wrong?
    I just feel that there are not may posisitve posts about political stuff, in general, so they are all guitly by association, not very fair either I assume.

    So perhaps I see a couple of topics that may be iffy and then I generalise them all as that way. So perhaps my issue lies with me?

    Thanks Woof, now you made my brain hurst. Homer go sleep now....
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Matt my point was that if he wants to come here and possibly make a profit off his stuff, he should be allowed to do so if it is within the rules of the forum as dictated by it's owner/moderators. That is also what I want, except I want to come here and discuss whatever tiopic I want that fits within the rules of the site. How is it he should be allowed to do so and I am not?
    This site has many things for many people. We all share the treo as common ground but that is not all we are about. TC is what it is because it offers a bit more than just treo. Mytreo.net is great but I dont go there but a couple times a week because it is more just treo. I dont know about you but I talk ON my phone enough I dont want to spend all my other time talking ABOUT it.
    Perhaps the two ideas are getting combined?
    All I want is just to have a choice if I can leave the OT forum out of my "new post" search or not. Not get rid of the OT forum. I think it (OT) can be a good place as I stated in an earlier post in this thread. The OR forum keeps the other on Topic.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions