Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Blazer screwed up my last post. Hope this one make it through.

Woof, the people who are involved in the OT posts knows where to go to continue their OT didcussions. being OT should have a lower priority than treo specif posts, don't you agree?

What do you think newcomers to TC will do if they see that the most popular topics are about a duck, religion and politics? Would they stay or leave? How does a site wither away? No new blood, existing ones leave (most of them quietly), some who's been here a while gets too comfy........

Most new users dont use the new posts link. They go to the specific forum they want to post in or read about. Many people arent even aware the new post button exists. There are numerous threads where this has been stated.
    Or they just read everywhere. They do that by choice. Just like you can choose to ignore the off topic section. Quit trying to impose your choices on others. If you want to do that go create your own forum without an offtopic section.

I would like to see some proof of all the sites the OT opponents have seen the demise of. What sites died because of their OT section?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    ...snip...
    I would like to see some proof of all the sites the OT opponents have seen the demise of. What sites died because of their OT section?
    First off, only one person said anything about other sites dying as a result of off-topic posts, so stop saying that OT opponents hold that opinion...ONE person held that opinion.

Second, I never said anything about eliminating the Off-topic section. I merely would like the ability to filter it out in both the main site AND the mobile site. If you have a problem with that, then you are just as guilty of imposing your will on others as you've accused the OT opponents of being.

The reality of the situation is that off-topic posts are a secondary concern to most of the posters/readers on this forum... People come to TreoCentral because it's about the TREO...not about politics, or other topics. While it doesn't affect me directly, those that have to pay by the kilobyte to download information on their Treo, would certainly appreciate the ability to filter out the "junk" discussed in off-topic posts when they use the New Posts feature. (Which is pretty prominantly displayed on the mobile forum, by the way).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Exclude OT from the New Posts. Then either add another menu New Posts (OT) that includes the OT forum, or tell people they have to go directly to the OT forum which is ordered chronologically so it shouldn't be an issue.

IMHO the issue has nothing to do with not sufficient interesting topics about the Treo 600. At least I haven't noticed any decrease in on-topic discussions on mytreo.net, on the contrary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    First off, only one person said anything about other sites dying as a result of off-topic posts, so stop saying that OT opponents hold that opinion...ONE person held that opinion.
    Actually there were two.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpettus
    ...other tech-oriented BBSs bigger than theirs have been ruined in the past by precisely this same issue. It's up to you whether you're going to let political extremists hijack your discussion board and eventually run it into the ground or not. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    ... Recently the OT posts seems to have outnumbered Treo related posts. If that continues, this forum will wither away in due time. I've seen it happen to other forums.
    Second, I never said anything about eliminating the Off-topic section.
    that is the topic we are discussing. Look at the title of the thread.

The reality of the situation is that off-topic posts are a secondary concern to most of the posters/readers on this forum... People come to TreoCentral because it's about the TREO...not about politics, or other topics.
    you know this how? You have spoken to everyone? I didnt see a poll? Treo is what led us here. The community and it various discussions is what keeps us here.
    While it doesn't affect me directly, those that have to pay by the kilobyte to download information on their Treo, would certainly appreciate the ability to filter out the "junk" discussed in off-topic posts ...
    You are assuming they dont come to read the off topic. Also at what point did it bocome TC's responsibility to worry about the various data plans that users have? Coming here is a choice. TC is not obligated to provide special consideration for people who are getting screwed by their carrier on their data plan.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Actually there were two.

that is the topic we are discussing. Look at the title of the thread.

you know this how? You have spoken to everyone? I didnt see a poll? Treo is what led us here. The community and it various discussions is what keeps us here.You are assuming they dont come to read the off topic. Also at what point did it bocome TC's responsibility to worry about the various data plans that users have? Coming here is a choice. TC is not obligated to provide special consideration for people who are getting screwed by their carrier on their data plan.
    I can see there is no reasoning with you. I suggested a simple compromise, but you seem to be against any compromise. I'm well aware of the topic and what was said, but instead of picking apart the specific words of a post, why don't you embrace the posibility of a compromise? Why does it have to be all or nothing with you?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    If the mods were to make it a per-user option to selectively filter out ANY forum from the "new posts" area, that would be great. From my understanding though, it's not a simple thing to implement and may not even be possible with the vBulletin software that is used here on TC. It's an idea worth exploring since there will remain a debate.
    I can see there is no reasoning with you. I suggested a simple compromise, but you seem to be against any compromise. I'm well aware of the topic and what was said, but instead of picking apart the specific words of a post, why don't you embrace the posibility of a compromise? Why does it have to be all or nothing with you?
    When are you going to start this reasoning? Perhaps if you had suggested a compromise instead of just saying OT should be left out of the search. Compromises are usually sold as compromises not as demands.

I have no issue whatsoever with a compromise. I don't however think thousands should have to compromise because of three or four unhappy members.

Regarding specific words of a post: This is a written medium. We only have written words and smileys to convey a message. If your words do not convey what you meant how will anyone know your POV? I am sorry if my 'picking' bothered you but please say what you want us to read and understand. Don't expect us to read your mind and surmise your intent. Also you made errors and and statements with no factual basis. It's in my nature to dispute these types of things. Sorry..
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I understand everyone's concerns. I really like Mol's idea, I'm looking into attempting to provide an alternative "off topic free" new post search.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    If the mods were to make it a per-user option to selectively filter out ANY forum from the "new posts" area, that would be great. From my understanding though, it's not a simple thing to implement and may not even be possible with the vBulletin software that is used here on TC. It's an idea worth exploring since there will remain a debate.
    As I mentioned in post #16, a user defined option would be great. or even a search button that lists all new posts but off topic. But then a button that only searches OT would be fair as well.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    You wouldn't really need a button to just list off-topic as you can use one press to see OT already. I'm in support of the no OT search, as long as it prominently declares that OT is not included. I would hate anyone to be put off TC because of my inane ramblings.
    Animo et Fide
    When are you going to start this reasoning? Perhaps if you had suggested a compromise instead of just saying OT should be left out of the search. Compromises are usually sold as compromises not as demands.

I have no issue whatsoever with a compromise. I don't however think thousands should have to compromise because of three or four unhappy members.

Regarding specific words of a post: This is a written medium. We only have written words and smileys to convey a message. If your words do not convey what you meant how will anyone know your POV? I am sorry if my 'picking' bothered you but please say what you want us to read and understand. Don't expect us to read your mind and surmise your intent. Also you made errors and and statements with no factual basis. It's in my nature to dispute these types of things. Sorry..
    I never made a demand of anyone. I never said that OT should be left out of the search. My words were "It would be nice to be able to do that kind of filtering with the mobile version of the site." It's what I would like to see...and I was speaking for myself...and what I do on MY Treo.

I call that a suggestion. It's certainly a compromise. You seem to have skipped right over it. If you hadn't, you would have seen my true POV, but you were too busy arguing to see it.

It's not unreasonable to state that people come to TreoCentral to read about the Treo (which is what I said). TreoCentral is a site whose primary function is to provide news and discussion on the Treo. That may not be all that happens here, but it is certainly the purpose of the site. What kind of "factual basis" is required that I can't make a statement such as that?

Perhaps your nature is to be argumentative...That doesn't always make you right. In any case I'm finished with this topic. Pontificate to your heart's delight.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

I like the Off topics section. When things are slow around here I can go there and get my fix. Most sites have this section and although politics and religion are not safe topics on ANY forum I do like many of the other varied topics there.

Like many here, I do not read some of the threads be it Off Topic or in Hardware because it does not interest or affect me and we have a choice to what we read.

That being said, I trust TC to do what is best for the site. However, you can't please everyone, now can we.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I understand everyone's concerns. I really like Mol's idea, I'm looking into attempting to provide an alternative "off topic free" new post search.
    Thanks. I would prefer to see new posts without them.

I don't care one way or the other about the retaining the off-topic section. I've been pretty successful ignoring things I don't want to read.

(Woof, there are a lot of people who agree with this idea, I believe. They may not be as quick to post about it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    (Woof, there are a lot of people who agree with this idea, I believe. They may not be as quick to post about it.)
    So you are really just guessing about whether there are alot of people that would agree.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I've posted a thread in off-topic with an alternative if anyone is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    So you are really just guessing about whether there are alot of people that would agree.
    Guess no more ClaireGirl..... now there is a poll
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58123

Exercise your freedom and go vote on this poll.
    The Off-Topic forum is like a prison. Sure, some people would rather there not be such a thing, but for the most part, people are happy it's there because of what it keeps out of the general population/discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Guess no more ClaireGirl..... now there is a poll
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58123

Exercise your freedom and go vote on this poll.
    I did...and as usual, I voted a secret ballot
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The Off-Topic forum is like a prison. Sure, some people would rather there not be such a thing, but for the most part, people are happy it's there because of what it keeps out of the general population/discussion.
    Well put Kurt.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I did...and as usual, I voted a secret ballot
    You put Nanner Pudd'n didn't you

Cool!

It's taking an intersesting form IMHO. There are more "No" votes then I thought there would be. I figured if it was an OPTION, one that had to be turned OFF, that there would be little to no "no",shows how my I know...LOL

I am all for the Off Topic area, just not all the political bashing, in either direction. I just choose to not read them, but that is just my opinion, and like ***....you know the rest.

In all hoesty, this is a pretty laid back and well behaved message board with little to no drama. I like it that way.

L8R
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast