Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    mad now. Occasionally, I will come across some gem of information (*cough* WeeBit *cough*) but usually it's crap (*cough* <deleted, no personal attacks!> *cough*). I used to be able to spend quite a good amount of time on the board, learning about all sorts of useful things, but now, all I have to do is look over the topic threads and realize it's a waste of time.

TheHandlessKing
    Last edited by ToolkiT; 09/21/2004 at 06:59 AM.
    What a shame. I find the technical discussions to be interesting and on occasion those discussions have caused me to relook at a piece of software or change a method of action. One piece of software I purchased due to the board: Call Filter. Learning from other people's advise and experience is often better than suffering through the pains of experimentation...Ben
    So what do we do to fix them? I mean.. I've noticed what you're noticing to, and it's frustrating, but I'm at loss on what to do..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4.    #4  
    I wish I had the answers, I really do, the only things I can think of aren't very long term oriented. I'm sure someone like Howard Chui, of HowardForums.com would have some interesting things to say about this.

And to be honest, I should come to expect some dilution in the quality of the boards, with the Treo 600 blasting off. It's not an excuse, and in fact, there are multiple boards out there that have been pretty successful about keeping up quality content, but I'm not sure how.

Maybe we can brainstorm on this thread?

TheHandlessKing

By the way, you, miradu, even responding to this thread and acknowledging my concerns gives me great hope. Thanks.
    I have to cast my vote with bclinger. That a certain discursive quality has set in, what the hell. But for the most part, this place offers a fine and true forum for talk and rumination about all things Treo. As the golden rule advocates, moderation in moderation...
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    I agree with the sentiment. But I think we are at that transition phase right now where the 650 is not out and we have discussed most 600 things to completion. I am sure when that 650 launches many insightful conversations will once again happen. Including how to make the 600 do things that the 650 can!
  7.    #7  
    This is in no way to flame you, treo-mike, or to invalidate what you have seen on the board.

But, (although my join date on this name is 2002 I joined much earlier under another name), before January of this year, the quality of posts and the quality of people was visibly very high (Seriously, this isn't a slam on anyone that has joined post Jan 2004, I've read many a great thread from people that have joined recently). I enjoyed coming to this board every day to learn something new and useful, and of late, it's more that every thread turns into someone "flaming" someone else for some ridiculous reason or another. That's what bothers me. The fact that people like SeldomVisitor obviously post to get everyone's panties in a knot. Seriously, there used to be noone like this person on this board, and now he/she's every where. So...that's why I feel the way I do.

TheHandlessKing
    HandlessKing, hang in there. I think these things run in cycles. What's off-topic today is forgotten tomorrow. Hang in there...
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Quote Originally Posted by THK
    Occasionally, I will come across some gem of information (*cough* WeeBit *cough*) but usually it's crap (*cough* seldomvisitor *cough*).
    Well, where to start? There are so many people that have provided valuable information, and I am thankful for them. Yet at the same time, those that you feel have provided crap have also had some valuable things to say. It all depends, IMHO on whether you choose to take to heart the things you dont agree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Learning from other people's advise and experience is often better than suffering through the pains of experimentation
    I couldnt agree more. Again, it is that valuable information that has taught me many a tip or trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    So what do we do to fix them? I mean.. I've noticed what you're noticing to, and it's frustrating, but I'm at loss on what to do..
    Look at it this way, its kind of hard to fix what has already gotten out of hand. I recall an incident when Tool_Kit was trying to K.I.S.S. I couldnt believe how many people told him they were NOT going to follow the forums as they have been set up to do. That was the time to put his foot down or up; depending on which way the **** in question was pointed, but he didnt.
    I'm sure someone like Howard Chui, of HowardForums.com would have some interesting things to say about this.....By the way, you, Miradu, even responding to this thread and acknowledging my concerns gives me great hope.
    HC has a lot to say about everything. Miradu responding shows that the care and concern is there. When he takes the time to respond to some of the simplest things, it makes us all feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mike
    But I think we are at that transition phase right now where the 650 is not out and we have discussed most 600 things to completion.
    TM, I completely agree. Its as though we have discussed the 600 to death. I get the feeling that many are now bored with it and need something refreshing, eg 650, to brighten them up again.
    I enjoyed coming to this board every day to learn something new and useful, and of late, it's more that every thread turns into someone "flaming" someone else for some ridiculous reason or another. That's what bothers me. The fact that people like SeldomVisitor obviously post to get everyone's panties in a knot. Seriously, there used to be noone like this person on this board, and now he/she's every where. So...that's why I feel the way I do.
    And guess what, when you place a members name in a negative post, that is also FLAMING! Most times on this forum, people have forgotten to attack the topic and not the person posting it.
    Twice you have singled out Seldom, so in essence, you have just done the very thing you say you have issues about.
    Last edited by scandalex; 09/20/2004 at 03:22 AM.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    too bad this forum doesn't have an ignore button like the Macaddict.com forums have, over there you can hit the ignore button and all subsequent posts by that person is not displayed, makes life a lot simpler when dealing with trolls and flamers
    garinballbarin
    Perhaps a "Games" forum would help break the boredom and monotony. They say,"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". I'm working on one now that should prove to be fairly interesting and different.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    too bad this forum doesn't have an ignore button like the Macaddict.com forums have, over there you can hit the ignore button and all subsequent posts by that person is not displayed, makes life a lot simpler when dealing with trolls and flamers
    Yes it does ...

Go to User CP and under the Miscellaneous Tab you will find your Buddy List and your Ignore List. Just add users to the ignore list and their posts will not show up in the threads they post in.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Its as though we have discussed the 600 to death. I get the feeling that many are now bored with it and need something refreshing, eg 650, to brighten them up again.[/COLOR]
    I think you are exactly right. Things go in cycles. Once theTreo 650 is out, there will be new things to discover.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    You can ignore. Click on the name of the person you want to ignore and go into View Profile. It's not very prominent, but on the left side of the window, you will see (in black type) a line which reads something like "Add this person to ignore list."
    I think a games forum is a good idea. Especially with HI-RES on the horizon
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    miradu, you could start by dinging individuals when they post blatant off-topic comments in the middle of a thread. Like this one http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=58007&page=2 and look at post #57.
    This is in no way to flame you, treo-mike, or to invalidate what you have seen on the board.

But, (although my join date on this name is 2002 I joined much earlier under another name), before January of this year, the quality of posts and the quality of people was visibly very high (Seriously, this isn't a slam on anyone that has joined post Jan 2004, I've read many a great thread from people that have joined recently). I enjoyed coming to this board every day to learn something new and useful, and of late, it's more that every thread turns into someone "flaming" someone else for some ridiculous reason or another. That's what bothers me. The fact that people like SeldomVisitor obviously post to get everyone's panties in a knot. Seriously, there used to be noone like this person on this board, and now he/she's every where. So...that's why I feel the way I do.

TheHandlessKing
    I don't take it as a flame at all! I have been lurking since about Jan 2004 and joined in May 2004...and even in that time the quality of discussions have degraded. I agree there are a few people (like the one you mentioned and a few others) that seem to have no purpose here but to bother people. Perhaps a few warnings and a ban from the admin would help (a little).

My main point was...the "good" posters will probably start posting again when there is something new to talk about. Like the official 650 launch. There are few topics left on the 600 that the "good" posters have not already commented on.
    I spent the day thinking about this, and after reading the replies above, I think the problem boils down into three things:

1) There is a slight lack of topics to discuss - the Treo 600 has run its course, we've found the cool software, we have fixed the bugs, we know the accessories. Right now only the newbies are asking questions because everyone else has had (for the most part, please excuse me these are generalizations) their questions answered. What is left are the new Treo users who are still figuring things out and the community structure.

2) From the community structure comes a great amount of off topic posts. It's what builds community - I still know people who were on Visorcentral 5 years ago who come here occasionally simply to read the off topic sections. That is why they exist, to provide a place for non Treo discussions. But people are polarized and the bulk of off topic discussions are becoming hatefests for one another as we kick around political and social views.

3) The flameing in Off -Topic extends to normal discussions, and all of a sudden TreoCentral's welcoming and nice community has gone downhill. It would be a lie to say that we have not changed over the years, and we are going through struggles with members who do not have the same patience or temper as previous members. This is not accusatory against any one individual, and please do not name anyone, but the quality of discussions has decreased slightly for whatever reason.

So what do we do?

The fix for #1 is for PalmOne to release new Treo's, which I think we will be hearing more leaks of all throughout October. With rumored ship dates anywhere from end of October to end of November, who knows when we will actually have devices accessories and new software to talk about. We'll be doing our best to feed everyone information and stuff to talk about.

There is another fix for #1, and that is to go deeper into the software side of things. We still have tens of very very active Treo only developers working on applications, and I will readily admit that mytreo.net, has done a very excellent job fostering those discussions. We will launch this week our own collection of Downloads, of which I have been working very hard on building (the infrstructure) over the last month - and yes it has a beautiful mobile site with it. We have available, and will continue to offer free developer forums for any developer who wants to grow discussion about their product. These are some good things that can build community without PalmOne's help.

The fix for #2 is harder. People, myself included, are very very passionate about what happens to our government this election. We have our ideals, our morals, our values, our thoughts, opinions etc.. etc.. We will fight each topic to its death. Either we let the discussions continue, or we ban them all together. Or we could create a new politics sub forum, but I'm not sure if that would only foster more discussion. There is one other option, as suggested by Mol which I think is very appropriate, and I'm looking into how to do it. If we provide an alternative New Posts link that does not include off topic, we can make it easier for people who are here for Treos to stay focused on Treos while still getting new posts functionality. I think many of the more advanced users would like that.

The third is the hardest of all to fix, because it reflects the overall TreoCentral community as a whole. We have tried to "moderate" it away, but in the end we just create more fights with a small vocal group of users. It reflects the issues of both #1 and #2 - it's not something that any one fix will change. What we can do is provide positive examples, and learn to IGNORE TROLLS and NOT RESPOND TO FLAMERS. The more you do that, the less it will destroy things. If users want, we can add another mod, up the modding, and for the first time start to just ban users that defy us more than once. I hate that, because I hate banning people. It seems so power-hungry, but I guess it must be done. While this decision is ultimately up to the staff, whatever we do won't work if it's met with considerable resistance.

So I bring up the question again, of what do you want? How do we fix it? What are the other problems? From what I know, we have an incredibly exciting October ahead of us (I'm flying out to cover CTIA this year, editorially we'll be doing everything we can). But we still have another few weeks to deal with ourselves. I think it is important to remember how TreoCentral is not only a community of the members who register and post, but there are countless more who simply read the forums and editorial side. Don't quote me on this, as it may not be exact, but i think, we're now running somewhere near 20,000 unique users a day. For every member who reads the forum, there are 12 others that are reading the news on the front of the forums themselves. What we do here is reflected not only to our vocal and registered users, but to the users who are not registered, yet make up the large majority of our population.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    A good start for #2 would be no political avatars or sigs.. Use one and get banned.

This place is for Treos, not giant graphics saying how much Bush/Kerry sucks. It's also an international community -- why should people outside of the USA have to read thru crap about our election.
    That's a very well thought out post. Nicely done miradu.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast