Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    A good start for #2 would be no political avatars or sigs.. Use one and get banned.

This place is for Treos, not giant graphics saying how much Bush/Kerry sucks. It's also an international community -- why should people outside of the USA have to read thru crap about our election.

If you want to limit reading to locals then are you going to limit posting to locals too?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    But people are polarized and the bulk of off topic discussions are becoming hatefests for one another as we kick around political and social views.
    I think "hatefest" is way too strong of a word for this. There are political debates, which for the most part are zesty, good natured, and interesting. While I disagree with some people's opinions (and they disagree with mine), I am still interested to read what others have to say.

I also agree that it builds community around here.

The flameing in Off -Topic extends to normal discussions, and all of a sudden TreoCentral's welcoming and nice community has gone downhill.
    I have noticed a decrease in civility, but not just in the off-topic area. It's too bad, and I don't know the cause of it.

If users want, we can add another mod, up the modding, and for the first time start to just ban users that defy us more than once. I hate that, because I hate banning people. It seems so power-hungry, but I guess it must be done.
    I really hope you don't do that. I sometimes like to hear from some of the more colorful posters around here. There is always the "ignore" feature for one user who has a problem with another user. I don't think I have ever used it myself (but I'm not sure). I just skip the posts I don't want to read.

I am only aware of one user around here ever being banned, and I think that banning was a good decision. However, that banning power should be used very, very sparingly.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Great post Miradu!

I agree with all said. Maybe to simplify things you could do this.

1) Threads that go to far off topic will be closed. Threads that go off topic and are no longer even related to the Treo will be deleted.

2) Debate and disagreement is allowed as long as it is done respectfully. People who get out of line are warned 3 times...then ban. If people continue to show disrespect for forum rules you don't need them around.

My two cents.

And one thing that is probably long overdue. Thanks for hosting these forums. They are great! I would have been so lost without them when I first got my Treo. I know it takes time and money so THANK YOU. Probably not said enough around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    If you want to limit reading to locals then are you going to limit posting to locals too?
    um did I say that??? Try reading more closely next time..

Would you enjoy this site if half the people were posting about the latest election in Germany? I'm from the US, but dont think anyone outside of here really cares about our election -- they care about Treos and dont need to sort thru this garbage..

If the admins had some balls they would adopt my suggestion of political avatars/signatures = ban. Talk about it all you want in the off topic forums, but why when reading the Treo 600 board do we need to see gigantic "good bush/bad bush" graphics and political avatars?? If people dont like it they can go elsewhere -- but they wont cause there's nothin better than TC for Treos..
    um did I say that??? Try reading more closely next time..

Would you enjoy this site if half the people were posting about the latest election in Germany? I'm from the US, but dont think anyone outside of here really cares about our election -- they care about Treos and dont need to sort thru this garbage..

If the admins had some balls they would adopt my suggestion of political avatars/signatures = ban. Talk about it all you want in the off topic forums, but why when reading the Treo 600 board do we need to see gigantic "good bush/bad bush" graphics and political avatars?? If people dont like it they can go elsewhere -- but they wont cause there's nothin better than TC for Treos..
    I never said thats what you said, I asked you a question. It was just an extension of your logic. If we dont want foreigners to have to bother reading our political stuff then perhaps you might want them to not post on thiose topics. If the foreigners here were so opposed tyo the political threads why do many of them post there regularly?

As far as foreign politics goes, I would welcome the discussion. I might learn something about other governments I didnt know. That would be well worth it to me.

I dont always agree with the admin actions but your balls comment is totally inappropriate. I guess that means anyone who doesnt agree with you on something has no balls? And of course your suggestion is by far the best because you say so. Get over yourself. Just ignore the stuff you dont like and dont read the posts you dont want. Censorship accomplishes nothing. Excessive banning of this and that and people will leave TC in droves.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    miradu, that was a well reasoned approach to the issue. Thanks for your input.

A suggestion I have is based on my experience on another board. The mods there are control the posts very effectively and tolerate nothing that violates their terms of service. Two off topic posts in a row and they lock the thread. If is actually funny as people realize it and try to get a post in before it gets locked. I think the members have a little side bet to see who gets in before they lock the thread the most.

Anyway, thanks to everyone at t|c for a great site!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Maybe they should just ditch the Treo's alltogether and make this a politics forum? pfft...

The admins should use some of their balls and make a stand if they dont want the board to go to crap.. Nobody wants to offend anyone, but I think they have to make some serious moves like that. If they lose 15 of their 15 billion members because of this, so be it if it's for the overall good of the board.

..and again you didn't read my post closely enough... Off topic crap is fine in the off topic forums, not plastered all over people's sigs and avatars in the main boards.

And thanks for sticking up for the admins -- what a swell compassionate guy you are. And at the same time nice sig by the way to offend everyone out there who practices some sort of religon. Compassionate again! laff
    Last edited by Joebar; 09/23/2004 at 07:00 PM.
    Maybe they should just ditch the Treo's alltogether and make this a politics forum? pfft...

The admins should use some of their balls and make a stand if they dont want the board to go to crap.. Nobody wants to offend anyone, but I think they have to make some serious moves like that. If they lose 15 of their 15 billion members because of this, so be it if it's for the overall good of the board.

..and again you didn't read my post closely enough... Off topic crap is fine in the off topic forums, not plastered all over people's sigs and avatars in the main boards.

And thanks for sticking up for the admins -- what a swell compassionate guy you are. And at the same time nice sig by the way to offend everyone out there who practices some sort of religon. Compassionate again! laff

LOL. I am supposed to only think of what affects everyone else is that it? Well lets again use your logic. My father died from emphysema from smoking his whole life. That makes me a little bit antismoking, so your avatar offends me. Are you gonna remove it? Not if you have any balls as you are fond of saying. I am not so thinskinned that the *** hanging from your mouth bothers me in the least. Most of the folks here arent either and really overlook alot.

Would you be happier if we didnt have avatars or signatures at all and then you couldnt be offended by anything but what we post? If that would be better, why dont you lead by example and get rid of anything that you do that could offend anyone.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Like some others said, that was a very well put post Miradu. One thing I want to just note is that this is a chat furum, not a live one, but a chat forum like any other. On that note, if you go to any chat room/board people will always start on topic then eventually wander. I'm not saying this is neither good nor bad, but it is going to happen. I run a live Treo chat room and i've noticed that pretty much only the new users talk about only the treo. The thing is, when you talk to people in a live environment you tend to get to know them better than in a post by post basis. By doing this you tend to respect their views better and flame less and enjoy the whole chat experience. Anyway, there will always be useful, intelligent, info on this board; or people wouldn't come back. There will always be off-topic posts, both in their forum and within other posts. I think the best way to deal with these is to just keep them respectful and not let them distract from the topic at hand. Finally, just respect everyone and no topic will ever be a waste of forum space. Even a democrat and a republican can have an intelligent conversation about politics... it just takes a little respect on both parts. So thank you to every member of treocentral, your posts mean something to someone.
    -phil-
    did someone delete some posts here?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    yup... Joebar had a pointless post, and you responded. Both of them got deleted.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Odd. I dont recall seeing deletions like that. Usually a warning is issued when people resort to namecalling. Kinda absolves the offender of the transgression if you delete the post. Like a free pass. Care to explain why it worked out that way here? Respectfully I would appreciate something more than "because I am a moderator and thats what I felt like doing" Thanks.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Miradu explained already. The objective is to keep these threads civil and clear of name calling or trolling. The other resort is to close this thread.
    I dont think my post was pointless. And there wasn't name calling either??

it's aight... edit the conversations about how to make this place better, but keep the stuff that is making it bad. lol

Maybe the boards should just get shut down alltogether until the 650 is released and everyone has something worthwile to talk about again
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Guns don't kill people; people kill people, right Woof?
    I am also sick of all the political junk that is being posted. Is there a way to check for new posts but not include the off topic stuff?
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    There are those that just find the activity of banning, or mods doing their jobs as "power tripping". The line in the sand needs to be drawn out by the moderators in the form of a terms/policy/rules page. It would also show that when they act, they're just enforcing rules under their interpretation of it.

miradu, any form of moderation you provide will upset people. No moderation, and people are upset at the political flaming. Delete posts, and people question your judgement. How you set the tone here is entirely up to you, so the question then becomes, what kind of board are trying to run, and what level of moderation will best accomplish that goal?

c
    exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Guns don't kill people; people kill people, right Woof?
    This is true.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    it's funny how many people here are griping about the off topic forum when this forum really has nothing to do with the treo either.
    — Ed Howdershelt
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast