1.    #1  
    TreoCentral Readers,

There is a question that many users most likely have with all the great Treo 650 pictures floating around in our forums, thanks to a great member, weebitobsessed.

Why are the Treo 650/Ace pictures not on the front page?

To answer this question I need to explain a bit of the site structure. TreoCentral is fully owned by Store.TreoCentral.com (or you could say TC owns store.tc.. either way). There is one person, Marcus Adolfsson, who is in charge of both ventures. Store.TreoCentral is the sole provider for TreoCentral.com, and it is because of their support that we can pay for our expensive hosting to handle 1000 simultaneous users on the forums. (Ever notice how our forums are AD FREE?)

When something gets posted within the discussion boards, the responsibility for the posting is left up to the user who posted it. The discussion boards are an open playground, where the only thing we care about is the safety of our users, and the organization of our threads. We will never outright censor the forums; we only try to maintain a legal and safe environment. Companies that work with TreoCentral and store.treocentral.com, such as palmone, understand this public forum dynamic.

On the other hand, when something is posted to the front page of TreoCentral.com, TreoCentral takes full responsibility for the article. And even though our editorial staff (Me) has nothing to do with the store, what I post on the front page can damage store.treocentral.com's relationships with key suppliers. We are not talking a bad review of a product, I still have my independence, but if we sponsor and substantiate a major rumor on the front page, as we found out through our first Treo Ace article, major suppliers, such as sprint or palmone, may relinquish support for the store, and possibly the site. As the store pays for the site, it is important that the store continues running.

This is a hard letter for me to write, because I have always had an idealistic view that the site is completely separate from the store. From an outsiders viewpoint, it's not, and it's been hard for me to admit that. As our users read the forums far more often than they read our front page, I am sure that few of you are missing out on the news. Still it is important for us to share the reasoning behind our actions.

We are proud to be the number one Treo community and we hope to continue to keep that title. To help separate out Treo 650/Ace discussion, we will create a new forum for it. We are working on new reviews, new articles, and killer new features for our site (Check back in two weeks to see one of them). We are looking forward to starting user submitted interviews with notable people in the Treo industry, like Jeff Hawkins. We are adding, and still looking for new volunteer staff members to continue the level of news items and articles that we have obtained this summer. If you would like to help, email me, michael@treocentral.com.

If there comes an opportunity where our editorial staff has an article that will damage the store, we will not stay silent; I'm sure we will find a place in the forums or on a third party site linked to the forums for that article. Because I'm here for the community, and the site is here for the community.

-Michael Ducker
    Senior Editor, TreoCentral.com
    michael@treocentral.com

-Marcus Adolfsson
    Founder and Executive Editor, TreoCentral.com
    marcus@treocentral.com

If you want "news" coverage of the photos, here are some sites that have covered it so far, almost all crediting weebit of treocentral.com for the photos.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/More_Treo_650_Details
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...mone_ace_treo/
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2199
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7073
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/2746522431029510/
    http://www.gizmodo.com
    http://www.esato.com/news/article.php/id=296
    http://www.slashphone.com/73/816.html
    thanks Miradu. I figured it had to do w\ what happened during the last leak.

btw, you might want to make that a sticky as I'm sure this will be a frequent question.
    It's too bad these can't be put in the rumor section of the news of TreoCentral. It would seem that would allow you still post stuff that is in other news outlets, and not worry about the store. You'd think that as long as you surface stuff that it's your forums anyway it's not like you are divulging any secrets you might get from the partnership with the store.
    Michael, that's an excellent explanation. Every site owner has to figure out how to make their site pay the bills and what you've explained is very reasonable. I would suggest that you guys add this (or something like it) to an "About Us" page or something similar linkable via the home page. Keep up the great work!

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Every site owner has to figure out how to make their site pay the bills and what you've explained is very reasonable.
    It's understandable - in the context of what TreoCentral has turned out to be and what its "competitors" are doing, some of us doubt its reasonableness.

I would suggest that you guys add this (or something like it) to an "About Us" page or something similar linkable via the home page.
    Yes, it's called a disclaimer and does sound like something that TreoCentral should have had for quite some time. Something like:

== This web site does not carry articles that could negatively imply
    == anything about or negatively affect the sales of our advertisers' products.
    == Our discussion forums (http://discussion.treocentral.com/), however,
    == freely discuss all topics.

At least it now has been thoroughly explained why there never was an article on TreoCentral about, say, the TREO failures.
  6.    #6  
    This web site does not carry articles that could negatively imply anything about or negatively affect the sales of our advertisers' products.
    That is not what I said, this is very specifically dealing with rumors. I can trash whoever I want with no problems. We're still investigating the Treo failures problem Seldom - we sent a long list of inquires to palmone and they still promise that they will get answers back to us soon.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    We sent a long list of inquires to palmone and they still promise that they will get answers back to us soon.
    Lol!

You're kidding, right?

Well, in any case, old news isn't news - by the time PalmOne responds and the owner of TreoCentral once again says "Ain't no way!" to your article you can be sure the TREO 750 WILL be out!
    The truth is a beautiful thing and should not be covered up. There's zero reason to take good journalism off the front pages. I don't buy these excuses. The owners should simply say they don't edit their staff writers articles like hundreds of thousands of newspapers do across this great land. I realize it's not your fault miradu. But frankly it's a completely b.s. policy. Imagine how much better the forum would be with honest headlines instead of strictly commercially minded ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo_Addict_Tex
    The truth is a beautiful thing and should not be covered up. There's zero reason to take good journalism off the front pages. I don't buy these excuses. The owners should simply say they don't edit their staff writers articles like hundreds of thousands of newspapers do across this great land. I realize it's not your fault miradu. But frankly it's a completely b.s. policy. Imagine how much better the forum would be with honest headlines instead of strictly commercially minded ones.
    Dont be a jerk.... the world is gray
    agreed
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo_Addict_Tex
    I don't think that it's necessarily good journalism to dig postings of rumored handsets out of forums, no matter how reliable the postings look, and write an article on the front page. Journalists regularly sign NDA agreements that preclude this very thing in order to get the complete story on upcoming products. They are limited in publishing "facts" that would lend credibility to a rumor post, thereby effectively violating the NDA.

I respect the postion that TreoCentral is in here. They have to make their choices for their reasons and I'm not going to criticize them in any way for the postion they take.

I still can't figure out why people think they have a right to know about upcoming hardware before its announce date. If that was a right, then companies would just have to post daily updated product roadmaps. Sure, it would help some people in making a decision when buying new hardware, but, it also hurts the company financially. Companies have a responsibility to their stockholders to maximize share price -- not tell us of everything they have on the drawing boards so we can wait 6-months to buy a new handheld while waiting for their upcoming units.

I can assure you of one undeniable fact -- every company that is staying in a business is working on something that is new and better. There will ALWAYS be a new bigger, better handset coming -- PERIOD.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    TreoCentral should do what's best for TreoCentral. None of us pay TC any subscriber fees, and we get a great service for free. To TC's critics, I say "back off."
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Perhaps this time, we will have a Treo 650 review at launch, instead of 2 months later.
  14.    #14  
    Perhaps
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I too appreciate the explanation and am quite content with it. The forums seem quite un-censored and that's the most important thing.

I haven't seem Seldom around in a while though. I'm glad he's got something to compain about again.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    == Our discussion forums (http://discussion.treocentral.com/), however,
    == freely discuss all topics.
    This part is apparently incorrect; my bad.

I retract it as part of a possible TreoCentral disclaimer idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    As the store pays for the site, it is important that the store continues running.
    Perhaps the next main website the founder/originator sets up (successfully) should be more generically named so (1) the thumb under which he is isn't quite so pressing and (2) when the inevitable decline of a particular device line occurs the website itself continues with relevance (example of nongeneric and irrelevant naming - "visorcentral" and sooner or later, "treocentral").

How about smartdevicecentral or equivalent - that way ALL smart devices, not just phones, could be covered. Lot more advertiser potential, lot less pressure by any single advertiser.
    While Miradu may have a thumb pressing down on him. You, SeldomVisitor, have a thumb up your ****.

TheHandlessKing
    LMAO......