Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Sorry Mark this statement was not sarcastic at all. Why do you think I used the smiley?
    Contextually, the smiley didn't help the situation IMHO; in fact, it just drove home the point. Of course, your POV is not going to agree with mine, but that's life on the 'net.

As far as being wiser not to make the statement, it's against the rules to voice an opinion now? It was a statement of what I percieved the situation to be. I knew you guys would not even entertain the possibility that I had a valid point. Why? Because not one in the moderator department did anything but defend their position. No one bothered to actually look at what I had to say and see that maybe I had a valid point.
    It wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. Big difference. Again a matter of POV.

Clearly the mods saw these posts as some kind of personal attack. (I have to wonder if that is part of mod training. Look for anything that could be a personal attack and kill it).
    I'll admit that there's numerous things we let slide. However, almost without exception, we have never allowed personal attacks to perpetuate in these forums. Never. Plain and simple, we won't tolerate it. I can't see why anyone doesn't understand or accept this policy (admittedly an unwritten one). Nor can I understand why we need justify our position when we stick to our guns.

Then why be a moderator?
    I've asked myself that same question countless times! Half of 'em in the past couple of days!

How do you know anyone is testing your patience until you read it?
    Unfortunately, you can't tell anything in an online community until you read it.

Other than the two posts in my threads in the last couple days, you havent posted since February
    My post count and frequency have nothing to do with the issue. Truth be told, I only skim TC. I don't have a Treo so I don't follow the tech forums that closely. I try to stay current in Off Topic and TreoCentral.com, but don't always do so thoroughly.

I can only assume that that is at Toolkit's request.
    Nope. He didn't ask anyone to interject on his behalf. He asked for a second opinion on how he was interpreting things before he ever put his mod hat on.

Interesting choice of words "test my patience". Indicates to me that you feel I was questioning your authority as a moderator, when in fact I was questioning the system of discipline and how it relates to the rules.
    I did feel like you were questioning (or more accurately, testing) our authority as moderators.

No doubt the mods have supreme authority here. That has been stated on more than one occasion.
    Ummm... no, we don't. Marcus runs the show. It's his site, and he's the boss. The only authority we have is the ability to react when necessary, and as we deem appropriate. In all my time here, I have never seen a case of a mod abusing their power.

I just didnt like the fact that you are allowed to decide on a whim the punishment for breaking the rules.
    Nor do I like the fact that you (collectively) can decide on a whim to break them. However, that's just the way it is. Again, I don't see where any of the mods are abusing their power; "deciding on a whim" isn't exactly how we do it.

You could all do different things in the same situation.
    True. But we don't, nor have we. We usually ask for help and/or advice from the rest of the team before we do anything.

I guess the members have to hope they get a happy mod when they screw up?
    That'd be virtually impossible. I don't think any of the mods are ever happy!

It is clear to me how you say something is far more important than what you say.
    Took you long enough! (sorry, couldn't resist that one )

This is a fun place to discuss and interact.
    It is, and we just want to keep it that way. As stated before, it's what sets us apart from the crowd, IMHO.

A little spice is nice. But I guess bland is the law of the land.
    There's plenty of room for both. We certainly don't want to be boring.

I wish you would have addressed my points about rules and discipline
    I don't make the rules or set policy here. I only enforce them.

but hey its your forum
    No... they allow me to play in the sandbox, but the toys don't belong to me!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  2.    #42  
    Mark, Thanks for taking so much time to go through my post sentence by sentence. I wish you would have done that with the one that was more than just a response to your response. I thought about responding to a few of your comments but I am not going to waste my time or anyone else's for that matter. And yes this was pretty much a waste of time. Kinda of like complaining to the waiters about the food when I should be talking to the chef. (no offense intended)

Since you made it clear that you guys are just hired lackeys (again no offense intended) I'll just forward my points on to Marcus. Perhaps he will at least acknowledge that I may have a valid perspective and not soley focus on my position being wrong.

Thanks for being the spokesman for the moderators.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I see Treocentral as a better place by applying the rules a little more broadly, and allowing more views and personalities. I think the mods have done a good job at keeping things civil. At the same time, some spice from posters here or there makes things more fun and interesting. Kill the spice, and everything else is just bland.
    heberman, I appreciate you taking time to offer your input. It would have been nice if others could have at least voiced their opinion about my idea. I have heard enough about personal attacks though so maybe it was better no one did.

Rossoneri, thanks to you too.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    you guys are just hired lackeys
    Excuse me... we're volunteers. We don't receive any compensation for putting up with this abuse.

Now stop wasting my time!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Excuse me... we're volunteers. We don't receive any compensation for putting up with this abuse.

Now stop wasting my time!

Ya I know. I was speaking figuratively. Quit taking everything personally. I have been polite and rational in my discusion and all anyone has done is feel picked on and hurt. For what it's worth, you are wasting your time. No one is making you respond. And perhaps if someone would actually address the issue beyond saying you're right and I am wrong, I might shut the hell up!
    — Ed Howdershelt
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123