1.    #1  
    Wow, can you say "anal"?

Listen to your users. It's pretty obvious that people would prefer to discuss everything Treo 600 related (hardware and software) in one forum. You wanna claim it's hard to find information in this forum? I'd say it's even harder now that the forum listing is filled with more "Moved:" threads than legit ones.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    I'll second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hillman
    It's pretty obvious that people would prefer to discuss everything Treo 600 related (hardware and software) in one forum.
    Every forum I've been on has rules of some description, why not just abide by them and get on with life? It's not a democracy
    Animo et Fide
    Forums work better when users self-moderate, and put their content in the right categories in the first place.

I personally prefer to have the content grouped under categories so I can find what I'm looking for and read more about what I'm interested in.
    Yes, but once a user chooses a particular forum, leave the thread there, don't move it. Perfection comes at a cost - is the gain worth the pain? I don't think so.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Does anybody else find it funny that this thread was moved??

For the record, I think that particular forums should stay on topic and users should not be allowed to post wherever they feel it will get the most visibility. Just helps keep the forums cleaner and easier to find what you're interested in. Just my opinion, flame on....

-Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Personally I don't care where threads get moved because I use the 'New Posts' link. This just shows threads from all categories that have changed since my last visit.

Works great for me, why don't others use it?
    I also use the New Posts link. It shows all the new stuff grouped together so the category doesn't even matter.
    I always thought that the posters here did a great job putting their posts where they were atleast somewhat relevant. Occasionally I see a newbie crosspost, but it's well under 1% of all posts as bad.

-WC-
    This has already been discussed many times on TreoCentral.

There are far to many posts that are done each day on TreoCentral to allow the Treo 600 forum (amoung others) to run amok. It is in the majority of user's best interests to have a organized forum.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    we need to find a way to word this to keep it in the other forum...
    Miradu - I too use "New Posts" to get my many times daily dose. Any way that I can make it a favorite? Any way to wildcard the search id? Not that big of a deal, but it sure would be nice to just link directly to new posts.
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by fmertz
    Miradu - I too use "New Posts" to get my many times daily dose. Any way that I can make it a favorite? Any way to wildcard the search id? Not that big of a deal, but it sure would be nice to just link directly to new posts.
    just bookmark this: http://69.64.37.197/forum/search.php?do=getnew
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Does anybody else find it funny that this thread was moved??

For the record, I think that particular forums should stay on topic and users should not be allowed to post wherever they feel it will get the most visibility. Just helps keep the forums cleaner and easier to find what you're interested in. Just my opinion, flame on....

-Joe
    The discussion groups are large and the good people who host this FREE site have determined that they want organization and structure. If people would bother to read the faq first they'd have a great idea of where to post, but sadly it has fewer viewings than many of the threads.

It reminds me of someone being invited into another's house and not bothering to abide by their rules. Heck, they don't even bother to read them when they are plainly posted.

Or use the work analogy. Would you go to work, blatantly ignore the rules posted, and dump every file into a single file cabinet instead of the one it belongs in? Then complain when the file is moved? Wow.

I personally like the structure. Sometimes I don't give a hoot about new software and want to read up on the hardware. Sometimes I just want info on software and know where to look.

Other site owners love to take the opportunity to mention their site when TC does this or someone complains. Let's face it -TC has been here far longer and serves far more people than the other sites, perhaps combined. Where did you find out all the info on the T600? Where have you gone more than anywhere else to get the answer to a question? I'm not knocking other sites, just saying that TC has provided a valuable forum for us and we're complaining instead of respecting the site.

Again, Wow.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    Thanks for the tip. You just made my week.
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602
    Thanks for the tip. You just made my week.
    glad I could help.
    I've never quite understood the "Treo 600 Hardware" theme since it was introduced. Rarely is there much in the forum that's as hardware-specific as the title implies. It's pretty obvious that most members treat the "Hardware" section as a Treo 600 General Discussion forum, so for aesthetic purposes alone, it would make more sense to call it that.

While Doug could have expressed his point with more finesse, the point remains valid. Rigid adherence to categorized discussion does lead to overzealous moderating, creating unnecessary work for members and moderators alike. A more democratic approach would be to leave a General forum open to members who want a more syntopical read (like me, usually), and leave the specialized forums to people with one issue on their mind (like me, sometimes). We often have to both needs, which is why we read magazines and books. I don't see why general and specific forums can't coexist, or why their coexistence would implode into chaos. Of course, a discussion group is neither a democracy nor a dictatorship a priori. What really matters is which principle you decide is more inviting to members, and which reflects your attitude toward them.

Some people like the forums' current organization, others think it could be better. The mere existence of rules doesn't make them above constructive criticism. Overall TC moderators do a good job: they know how to bend without breaking in the face of dissent. But I have to agree that they're holding on too tightly to an organizational blueprint that hasn't passed the reality test of where users actually do post.