1.    #1  
    This is an informal announcement - we'll make a big splashy news item soon after we get some early feedback from users.

Announcing the TreoCentral FAQ. -> http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/index.htm

This has been in the wings for a long time, and I was getting fed up with waiting. So earlier this week I decided to build TreoCentral an FAQ system (from scratch!). I am extremely excited to share this new knowledgebase of information with all of TreoCentrals members.

The FAQ is community powered - you can submit your own questions and answers through a simple web form. -> http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/submit.htm Moderators will review them and within a day or so, your entry will be live on TreoCentral's website. (You'll get a byline on the FAQ for writing it).

Once it is live, anyone can view it and rate it. And we all know that FAQs go stale, or could have had a better answer, so to fix that you can flag any FAQ for review. In the flag form you can add comments, and within a day or two a moderator will add those comments to the FAQ item or fix the issue; making the FAQ will be even better!

To start the FAQ off, we used our treo.tc FAQ data. We will soon update the mobile site with the new FAQ. Future features include FAQ searching and sorting based on popularity and ranking. I'm sure that we can make a list of the top ten submitters, and even (maybe) provide some incentives to those who sucessfuly submit many good entries.

Until then, please go ahead and add FAQ entries, read FAQ entries, and rate FAQ entries. If you encounter bugs (I'm sure there are a few lurking out there), post them here. If you have suggestions (changes of categories - new categories? for example) on how we can make the FAQ better, post them here.

Thanks,
    -Michael Ducker
    Senior Editor, TreoCentral.com
    michael@treocentral.com
    This FAQ is excellent stuff. I noticed there are at least two nearly identical questions. One is http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/52.htm and the other is http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/22.htm. I realize there's a slight semantic difference, but I think these should be combined.

The more interesting of my suggestions is that perhaps there should be more tiers to the FAQs. Carriers is great, but it would be better to be able to drill into just Sprint if that's what you wanted to do. Software is a great category too, but it would be better if it was divided out into applications such as e-mail, music (and subdivided from there to streaming vs. non-streaming), office, browser, IM, video recorder, and a "misc." catch all category. This would probably be infinitely more helpful to people. I realize this is version 1 and it's great (especially with the search), but I'm just throwing out an idea for version 2.
    Can we add a How To section in the FAQ area?
    Can we also add a clickable banner that announces new functions or information right below the blank area under User CP, FAQ, ... etc. on top of each thread?
  5.    #5  
    Bmacfarland- thanks for the note on the doubles. To start the FAQ we simply imported all of the old data, which had not been touched for months, so there are obviously a few things that need to be fixed (like those entries).

I think we have enough main categories, I might change them a bit (like adding the how-to). If we get enough entries to warrent secondary categories (it really depends on how this grows), I would than expect the FAQ to somewhat mirror the discusison board for how we organize things...

I created a how to category. ronbo - can you elaborate your second post? I'm unsure of what you mean.

Thanks for the comments!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I created a how to category. ronbo - can you elaborate your second post? I'm unsure of what you mean.
    Thanks for the How To section, (by the way, where is it?). As I spot good problem resolution postings, I would surely send you those.

Anyway, I was thinking that the thread pages may have some unused space that could used to announce new content.

The idea is to have some short announcement (clickable link) that show up between the section where the line that says:
    User CP FAQ Member List ... etc.

and before the next line usually says:
    Forum Last Post ... etc. or if within thread, there is a box that says New Thread.

While I agree that the TC Home page displays new information but not everyone goes through the TC home page specially if you've bookmark the discussion board page.
  7.    #7  
    The howto section is available to submit new FAQ entries on: http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/submit.htm. Once somebody submits a howto FAQ and it gets posted, my system will automaticly place the category on the index page with the new faq.

I do not think that we can add a random FAQ to the forum template; The way vbullitan works, we can add headers and footers easily, but the stuff in the middle is harder to change. And I guess you caught onto my ploy ronbo2000 - I WANT you to go through the main page, because we've increased how much content we have, and I want people to read it. It saddens me all the time when we post a news article, and 6 hours later people post on the forums a link to a similar article on a different site, thinking that it's completely new, when it has in fact been on the front page for six hours. The random FAQ is just one thing I can add to the front page to maybe encourage people to check there first before hitting the forums.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    And I guess you caught onto my ploy ronbo2000 - I WANT you to go through the main page, because we've increased how much content we have, and I want people to read it. It saddens me all the time when we post a news article, and 6 hours later people post on the forums a link to a similar article on a different site, thinking that it's completely new, when it has in fact been on the front page for six hours. The random FAQ is just one thing I can add to the front page to maybe encourage people to check there first before hitting the forums.
    Miradu, isn't there a way to go through the front page before you can view the discussion page? Specially if there are updated content, that would help.

Users may bookmark the discussion page but the website check the cookies last date & time login info and compares against the front page update date & time information, then displays the front page before going into the discussion.

You may need to fix the link to the discussion page on the bottom part of the front. It still goes into error page.
    Can the FAQ's be made viewable on the mobile site?
    Animo et Fide
    Miradu,

Why is it that have information on that area I told you when you are not logged in to the discussion forum but its empty when you are logged in?

Ron
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Miradu,

Why is it that have information on that area I told you when you are not logged in to the discussion forum but its empty when you are logged in?

Ron
    ????
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    ????
    Ok, you have to logoff from TC Discussion and click Home to go the TC's home page and then click discussion. In the area after it says, "Welcome to TC", it would have the following text:

"If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. "

This only shows up if you are not logged on. Can we have a different message when you are logged on?

Welcome back, how did your college search go?
  13.    #13  
    As I recall, the FAQ referred in that introduction, is the forum FAQ: http://discuss.treocentral.com/faq.php not the TC FAQ. I know, its confusing, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I do not know if we can show a message to users on the front page without changing the template...

College stuff was fun, I'll make a big reply in the college thread i set up in off topic sometime this weekend.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    We can only give it a try to see if it would work. The template should not be affected as the message size should be the same except conditioned to whether the one viewing the page is logged on or not, which seems to be present in the code.
    And I'd still like you to make FAQ appear on the mobile site please.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    And I'd still like you to make FAQ appear on the mobile site please.
    Bump