Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Forgive me, but IANAP (I am not a programmer) just very tech-curious. More of a question, actually.

It seems like this forum has a lot of 'server-side action' going on. When I send a request for a new page (ie: next page of a discussion topic), my browser sends, I receive a blank screen and a 'Done' in the status bar, then I get another connection which loads my request. I've posted on many other types of formus, especially zeroforum, which are much quicker and have similar feature sets (eg: emoticons, parsing links, attachments, polls, etc.). Are you folks working to improve the speed of the forums? Or is there a way that I can change my own personal settings to accomplish the same. Or is the answer just 'more bandwidth and faster server hardware'?

I guess I'm just curious as to how it works.

Thanks!!
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Not wishing to bite the hands that feeds, but this is the slowest forum in which I participate ... by far. I'd say it takes 10 seconds to load each page.
    10 seconds what kind of connection are you on? i have got broadband its no slower than any other forums
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I have no problems with forum speed either - I'm on a 2mbps cable connection though.

That doesn't mean that we may or may not have problems - there are tons of possible issues that could explain why it is slow for you. I can't tell you anything exact though so I'll just be quiet.

We use commercial forum software called vBulletin. It is used by hundreds of other midsize to large websites, and we have been very pleased with it. There's a link to it at the bottom of this page. I'm not sure on our exact server config right now, but it is our fastest server yet.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  5. brf
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil674
    Forgive me, but IANAP (I am not a programmer) just very tech-curious. More of a question, actually.

It seems like this forum has a lot of 'server-side action' going on. When I send a request for a new page (ie: next page of a discussion topic), my browser sends, I receive a blank screen and a 'Done' in the status bar, then I get another connection which loads my request. I've posted on many other types of formus, especially zeroforum, which are much quicker and have similar feature sets (eg: emoticons, parsing links, attachments, polls, etc.). Are you folks working to improve the speed of the forums? Or is there a way that I can change my own personal settings to accomplish the same. Or is the answer just 'more bandwidth and faster server hardware'?
    I'm experiencing the same problem as cphil647 and virt... I have cable modem and home and T1 at work and TC is slow from both places. This is the slowest board I read. Sometimes I just give up and go elsewhere.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Same here. Some times it is pretty good (but not the fastest), sometimes it is really slow and sometimes it just times out entirely and I can't navigate the site at all. I have tried using different pc's and different browsers and I try from home (cable modem) and from work (t3), with same results. Seems to have been getting more frequent recently. This is definitely the slowest board I read.
    Same problem here. It began a little over a week ago. It seems mostly related to an issue of downloading emoticons, etc.

Before last week, there were no problems and it ran just as fast as my other vBulletin boards. Every other site I use is instantaneous.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    10 seconds what kind of connection are you on? i have got broadband its no slower than any other forums
    I think Virt is referring to using Treo 600 in accessing TreoCentral instead of your traditional PC web browser access.
    Made some tweaks, try now.
  10. brf
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Made some tweaks, try now.
    Whatever you tweaked has helped! Thanks.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error