Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    The link on the mobile TC site to discussion is finally up but it links you to the desktop version. Am I doing something wrong or is this still w work in progress? I'm dying here after almost 2 WEEKS without my mobile TC fix. ............12 step program available?
    I'm waiting patiently....still not working.
    Be thankful that the mobile link work at all. It was linking to "URL not found" or somthin like that before.

I wonder if the damaged hard drives arived from India?
    Maybe it's coming from a more remote place like Mongolia.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    The link on the mobile TC site to discussion is finally up but it links you to the desktop version. Am I doing something wrong or is this still w work in progress? I'm dying here after almost 2 WEEKS without my mobile TC fix. ............12 step program available?
    Maybe the new hard drives are coming from palmOne
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Is it that difficult to get the mobile site running again? I wish the TC staff would give us at least a daily status of what't going on. The latest status on the TC home site is 6 days old with schedules already missed:

Sat Apr 24, 2004 - 1:48 PM EDT - By Marcus Adolfsson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Members,

Saturday, 1.45 PM

We have the boards up and running again with the March backup, and with an unpolished design (should be fixed by the end of the weekend). The drives have not arrived yet, but if we can extract any data from them we should be able to merge all the threads into the current database.

Members who registered after March 1st will currently have to re-register.
    I need my mobile version
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Is it that difficult to get the mobile site running again? I wish the TC staff would give us at least a daily status of what't going on. The latest status on the TC home site is 6 days old with schedules already missed:

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed by the total lack of updates. It should take less than 5 minutes to post an update...
    Let us all be patient. After all, no one here shells out any money for Marcus to keep up this site. Give our TC host the support they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Let us all be patient. After all, no one here shells out any money for Marcus to keep up this site. Give our TC host the support they need.
    Let's face it, nobody is coming to TC anymore for editorial content. The only reason this site is the most successful Treo site is because of the forums and the thousands of people that are using it.

Take the forums away and Marcus might as well shut down the entire site, including the TC store, with which I assume he is making money (nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point out that IMHO without the forums he wouldn't make a dime out of the shop. Also, isn't it interesting that the TC Store was properly backed up and the forums weren't?) . I may sound rude but this is how I view things, and I find it a sign of total disrespect for the user community here that there aren't updates more frequently.

At this stage, if I find a forum site that has the potential to become like TC, I pack my stuff and move over to it.
    Agreed, Mol, there are other sites that has forums as well and I am sure they may be even better than TC in some respect. So what makes this site different than others? Why does this have the number of users that it has?

From a business prospective, people flock to a store because it has something tangible or intangible to offer, even if the prospective customer do not buy the store products.

Marcus benefits from users like us as we may buy some of the products from the store, users like us benefit from the exchange of information. Marcus provides the services by enhancing the site with tools etc. to attract potential customers but as any business owner will do, he will protect his interest first.

If Marcus is so selfish, why would he in the first place spend time and resources trying to recover from the crash?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    ...and I find it a sign of total disrespect for the user community here that there aren't updates more frequently...
    Totally agree!

And I would add that the admins are certainly aware of the frustration of users here and yet they chose to remain silent. Are they too busy with their "real" lives, so involved with recovering the T/C drives that they cannot come up for air, or just plain irresponsible?

As a former Clie user I can say that whenever Cliesource went down (a few times for various reasons) there were always appropriate updates and status reports. I'm amazed at how long we've gone here without a word.

On the other hand, when the T/C servers were upgraded I recall it was done rather smoothly, even with the bugs that resulted (some of which are still with us).
    This is a call out to T/C admins! ... Highly appreciate if anyone could provide updates to all users at least once a week or more.
    I don't think that this is going anywhere. I didn't respond to get after anyone. I'm very glad for the site and very happy that they have also made a portable version
    What are the alternative sites that I could try?

Or maybe I should phrase that differently: what are the alternative sites that WE could try? I won't mind trying another sense but I realize it only makes sense to me if I'm not the only one moving to another site. My first criterium would be a site that offers a mobile/PDA version of the discussion boards. Would be nice if they also offer better editorial material.
    The TC Staff has been overworked recently. In addition to the site, we all have other projects in the pot. We are sorry for the lack updates and the overall status of the site.

The good news is the Micheal Ducker (Miradu) will go full time over his summer break, and this will enable us to add a lot of fresh content.

The mobile site forums will be up by Wednesday evening. Still no word on the data recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The TC Staff has been overworked recently. In addition to the site, we all have other projects in the pot. We are sorry for the lack updates and the overall status of the site.

The good news is the Micheal Ducker (Miradu) will go full time over his summer break, and this will enable us to add a lot of fresh content.

The mobile site forums will be up by Wednesday evening. Still no word on the data recovery.
    Thanks for the update, we need to hear from you guys!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    What are the alternative sites that I could try?

Or maybe I should phrase that differently: what are the alternative sites that WE could try? I won't mind trying another sense but I realize it only makes sense to me if I'm not the only one moving to another site. My first criterium would be a site that offers a mobile/PDA version of the discussion boards. Would be nice if they also offer better editorial material.
    I think you guys are being harsh here. I think the forum is excellent and appreciate the fact that people are working hard on it.
    While you're *****ing about the fact that the backup is out of data - I'm amazed that anyone is paying for an offsite backup at all.
    As to the different backup strategies for the frum and the shop - I expect records of my financial transactions to be stored very carefully. If some of my conversations are lost - it's no disaster.

This is a free forum with a staff that is broadly responsive (If they've not been folowing the forums over the last week - I suspect that's because they were trying to re-build them).

Rather than trying to organise a defection - how about volunteering to help?
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre

Marcus, many thanks for the update. It's greatly appreciated. Also, looking forward to Miradu's contributions this summer (as always).

E9
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Rather than trying to organise a defection - how about volunteering to help?

I think the point is that there needs to be a little more PRPRPR $managing$ $here$. $If$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $good$ $folks$ $on$ $staff$ $here$ $could$ $just$ $post$ $a$ $few$ $more$ $status$ $updates$ $about$ $what$'$s$ $going$ $on$, $there$ $might$ $be$ $alot$ $less$ $trepediation$ $and$ $confusion$. $I$'$m$ $just$ $talking$ $about$ $a$ $little$ $blurb$ $now$ $and$ $then$ $like$ &$quot$;$We$'$re$ $trying$ $hard$ $guys$, $we$'$re$ $working$ $on$ $it$&$quot$; $or$ $something$ $and$ $I$ $think$ $alot$ $more$ $people$ $will$ $be$ $understanding$. $The$ $fact$ $is$, $I$ $think$ $it$'$s$ $quite$ $remarkable$ $how$ $many$ $people$ $here$ $have$ $such$ $an$ $emotional$ $attachment$ $to$ $this$ $community$. $It$ $really$ $is$ $a$ $testament$ $to$ $Marcus$ $and$ $the$ $rest$ $of$ $the$ $staff$ $IMNSHO$. $Thus$, $it$'$s$ $understandable$ $when$ $something$ $catastrophic$ $happens$ $and$ $people$ $get$ $concerned$ $and$ $a$ $little$ $bit$ $testy$...

Personally I'm crossing all my fingers and hope that a full restore will be possible soon. Thanks for the update Marcus!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Why is this buried here in this post and not on the main page? Clearly someone has time to read the forum. Updates on the main page, no matter how minor would work much better and stop all our b!tching.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast