Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I think the point is that there needs to be a little more PRPRPR $managing$ $here$. $If$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $good$ $folks$ $on$ $staff$ $here$ $could$ $just$ $post$ $a$ $few$ $more$ $status$ $updates$ $about$ $what$'$s$ $going$ $on$, $there$ $might$ $be$ $alot$ $less$ $trepediation$ $and$ $confusion$. $I$'$m$ $just$ $talking$ $about$ $a$ $little$ $blurb$ $now$ $and$ $then$ $like$ &$quot$;$We$'$re$ $trying$ $hard$ $guys$, $we$'$re$ $working$ $on$ $it$&$quot$; $or$ $something$ $and$ $I$ $think$ $alot$ $more$ $people$ $will$ $be$ $understanding$. $The$ $fact$ $is$, $I$ $think$ $it$'$s$ $quite$ $remarkable$ $how$ $many$ $people$ $here$ $have$ $such$ $an$ $emotional$ $attachment$ $to$ $this$ $community$. $It$ $really$ $is$ $a$ $testament$ $to$ $Marcus$ $and$ $the$ $rest$ $of$ $the$ $staff$ $IMNSHO$. $Thus$, $it$'$s$ $understandable$ $when$ $something$ $catastrophic$ $happens$ $and$ $people$ $get$ $concerned$ $and$ $a$ $little$ $bit$ $testy$...

    Personally I'm crossing all my fingers and hope that a full restore will be possible soon. Thanks for the update Marcus!
    DITTO DITTO!!!
  2. #22  
    Overall, I disagree with your attitude.

    This is the primary location where the concerned mobile users are asking for updates. When they posted the update about the forums going down... I believe the first notice was when the user clicked on the discussion link.

    This site is pretty unique and lately I have been witnessing a lot of people taking it for granted with arguments and being overly critical of other users (in this case, the mods). Chill out man. It's a forum. It's a mobile version of a forum. I sense too much attachment to it and maybe that's why the emotional negative outburst.

    Go outside and enjoy something till Wednesday night. Maybe the break will allow you to return refreshed when the mobile version is up.
  3. #23  
    Whether it's a little blurb or a full page ad...some of you would still find reason to bytch because what your already getting for FREE just isnt up to your standards right now.

    All this whining. You should really be ashamed of yourselves.
    And to those that "threatened" to go elsewhere.....what are you waiting for?

    You've attacked Marcus, the store, the boards....yet NONE of you are doing anything valuable to help get it back to its former glory.

    If you want to be of help, keep posting; thats what we all came here for in the first place....information/help with our Treos.

    Funny how when things are peachy keen, 85% of you are sitting back talking about "way to go and keep up the good work." Yet now that there's a problem, that same 85% is upset because they havent been kept informed. If the work was so good to begin with, then what are you so worried about now. What happened to "keep it up?"

    Stop sounding like a bunch of 3 yr olds.

    And I agree with the person who said he would much rather have his financial information kept sacred than some post that have gone poof!

    Damn! Is it possible to look at the bigger picture? I bet some of ya'll see the glass as 1/2 empty.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    I think you guys are being harsh here.
    Yes, and I did it intentionally hoping to provoque a reaction. Until Marcus' post above it had been dead air for more than a week. I fully agree with gfunk that communication is key.

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    I think the forum is excellent and appreciate the fact that people are working hard on it.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    While you're *****ing about the fact that the backup is out of data - I'm amazed that anyone is paying for an offsite backup at all.
    Well, we don't know anything about the financials of TC, do we? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $most$ $staff$ $are$ $volunteers$, $yet$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $TC$ $store$ $and$ $ads$ $that$ $I$ $assume$ $do$ $generate$ $money$. $And$ $as$ $I$ $said$ $above$, $take$ $the$ $forums$ $anyway$ $and$ $this$ $site$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $much$ $added$ $value$ $anymore$. $BTW$, $I$'$m$ $not$ $some$ $French$ $communist$ $that$ $thinks$ $that$ $making$ $money$ $is$ $a$ $dirty$ $thing$, $on$ $the$ $contrary$ $I$ $do$ $hope$ $that$ $Marcus$ $is$ $at$ $least$ $not$ $loosing$ $money$ $on$ $it$ $and$ $even$ $better$ $is$ $actually$ $making$ $a$ $profit$.

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    As to the different backup strategies for the frum and the shop - I expect records of my financial transactions to be stored very carefully. If some of my conversations are lost - it's no disaster.
    No, it's not a disaster, but the forums effectively are the knowledge base and news tracker that are driving this site. Certainly not as important as having records of my financial transactions, but at the same time it's the only reason that TC exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    This is a free forum with a staff that is broadly responsive (If they've not been folowing the forums over the last week - I suspect that's because they were trying to re-build them).
    My personal experience is that the staff isn't really responsive. I hate to say, but I very much have the feeling that most staff isn't part of the forum community (except for the obvious Kramsauser and Miradu).

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Rather than trying to organise a defection - how about volunteering to help?
    I'd like to think that my contributions to the forums are my way of volunteering (except for this particular thread I guess )

    If there's anything that the TC staff thinks that I or other members could do to help, then all they have to do is put up a message on the home page with what we could do and I'm sure they'll have a hundred volunteers in less than one day. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if we have some data recovery experts in the members list.

    And if they're looking for more moderators or editors, consider this to be my application for the job. However, if you hadn't noticed yet, I'm not the most PC guy around here...

    EDIT: Reading back my own post, I have to say I went a little overboard here. I guess I got carried away too much and so I would like to apologize to the TC staff. I appreciate the hard work they're putting into providing and maintaining this site. And my offer to help out still stands...
    Last edited by Mol; 05/05/2004 at 10:05 AM.
  5. #25  
    Mol,

    Your offer is greatly welcomed. I will have Ducker contact you and chat about moderation oppertunities.

    The mobile version will be up shortly.
  6. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
       #26  
    Still waiting........Thursday 05/06 @2:15 p.m. Central Time.
  7. #27  
    test
  8. #28  
    still waiting...
  9. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
       #29  
    still waiting .......Friday 05/07/04 @ 3:15 pm Central Time. Vaporware? Vaporforum?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Mol,
    The mobile version will be up shortly.
    jlczl, could you please stop?

    On multiple occasians I have received an email follow-up from this post and visited it only to find your post giving a status of the mobile forum. It's ridiculous and it is no way to treat the people who moderate and admin this site. You know for someone who is relatively new to this site, you sure have a unique way of respecting it.

    The quote was included to show you the answer to your problem. The key word is "shortly"... just wait.
  11. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by timmins
    jlczl, could you please stop?

    On multiple occasians I have received an email follow-up from this post and visited it only to find your post giving a status of the mobile forum. It's ridiculous and it is no way to treat the people who moderate and admin this site. You know for someone who is relatively new to this site, you sure have a unique way of respecting it.

    The quote was included to show you the answer to your problem. The key word is "shortly"... just wait.

    By no means were my posts meant to disrespect anybody. As mentioned in earlier posts, members would appreciate any updates as to the status of these forums. Since Wednesday was the stated day these forums would go up I felt it would not be inappropriate to mention they were not up yet and the time they were checked. As far as the quote that they would be up "shortly", that term is relative. In could mean hours or days. BTW, if this thread hadn't been initiated , would we have received ANY updates? Additionally, when you get an e-mail notice that there is a new post, don't you get the new post in the body of the e-mail? I know I do, so I don't have to visit the forum to see what it is, unless I want to.
  12. #32  
    Actually, in my case... no, I only download 4 or so kb of an email. I receive the posts through my Treo.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Mol,

    Your offer is greatly welcomed. I will have Ducker contact you and chat about moderation oppertunities.

    The mobile version will be up shortly.
    Right.

    No more updates on the mobile version, not even a post buried deep down in a thread somewhere.

    No news from Ducker, not even after I sent him email.

    No drama, but I've lost patience. Go ahead and flame me for it. I won't be posting here anymore. I will check occassionally what's going on with TC, but I'm going to give mytreo.net a try and see if I can help getting that site of the ground. Remember, competition is a good thing, even for web sites ran by volunteers.

    Thanks for the great party. Next time at my place?
    Last edited by Mol; 05/10/2004 at 04:06 AM.
  14. #34  
    Mytreo.net... hmmm ... maybe I'll give it a try too. I miss the mobile site. I can't believe it isn't up yet. *sigh*
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    Right.

    No more updates on the mobile version, not even a post buried deep down in a thread somewhere.

    No news from Ducker, not even after I sent him email.

    No drama, but I've lost patience. Go ahead and flame me for it. I won't be posting here anymore. I will check occassionally what's going on with TC, but I'm going to give mytreo.net a try and see if I can help getting that site of the ground. Remember, competition is a good thing, even for web sites ran by volunteers.

    Thanks for the great party. Next time at my place?

    You'll be missed Mol.

    I sent Marcus a PM after reading your aforementioned post volunteering to do anything helpful and of course never received a reply. It's funny the thread about the store giving crappy service is getting response tho.

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=50142

    What the hell is going on here??
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  16. #36  
  17. #37  
    Woof,

    I only check my PMs a couple of times a week. Best way to contact me is at marcus@treocentral.com
  18. #38  
    The Mobile Forum is back!!! I have access.
  19. #39  
    Mol - I sent you an email on 5/10 at 11:47 CST...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  20. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
       #40  
    Life is BACK TO NORMAL! I'm getting a warm feeling all over. No more s..ha..kin..g.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions