1.    #1  
    I have loved TreoCentral since I first learned of the Treo, and it previously was one of my first website visits every evening, and one I recommended to many many other buyers and prospective buyers of smartphones.

On TreoCentral, I learned the answers to many questions, and now and then was able to provide answers to others.

Sometimes, I spent an hour or even more reading and posting to TreoCentral each evening, and communicating by messages with fellow posters.

I am sorry to say that I no longer can recommend TC, and I find myself gagging on many of the false and misleading negative headlines to threads.

I like and respect, and am grateful to, the owners and operators of TreoCentral, together many of those who write and contribute here everyday, but I am sorry to say that, IMO, this site has become overrun by exaggerating whiners who choose to blow out of proportion every little problem or issue which may occur to them or their Treo, and turn it into a screaming diatribe against the product.

New categories of electronic hardware and software traditionally have inherent challenges and issues to work out, and it has been the custom for early adopters of such devices to discuss and complain about problems, and to pass along their solutions, in an enthusiastic manner, not only because they enjoy being early adopters and want to overcome any problematic issues, but also because they want the product category, and the companies who introduce such leading edge products, to succeed.

I no longer see that in a large number of the posts here. Instead, I see screaming headlines designed to bring down the Treo and the Handspring/PalmOne company that has given birth to the Treo, because of some challenge they are encountering with their unit. Instead of seeking solutions and answers, which is what I presume has been the purpose for TreoCentral, they want to kill sales of the product with false and exaggerated declarations.

It appears to me that they are not seeking solutions to their real or perceived problem, but want simply to demonstrate their self-importance by attempting to contribute to an effort to kill production and sale of the Treo. They are taking advantage of the fact that, with TreoCentral, anyone can be the author of a big red headline, no matter how false, malicious and misleading it may be.

Their headlines are not helpful to assisting Treo owners and prospective purchasers, nor to highlighting areas of the product, or its operation, which could be improved by the manufacturer.

I hope that some way can be found to return TreoCentral to its original purpose of trading news, hints, tips and problem-solving, and to take it back from the small but prolific army of whiners, jerks and destructive personalities who seem to have hijacked this site. Under its present circumstances, I cannot continue to recommend it to prospective or new purchasers of the Treo, because it would paint for them a false picture of the product. I for one would have never purchased a Treo, and thus would have missed out on this great product, had I come here first and read and believed the screaming babble of many of these red headlines.

PS - I am not in any way connected with, nor do I have any financial interest in, Handspring or Palm or now PalmOne.
    Last edited by NateS; 02/02/2004 at 08:53 PM.
    Yea and I'm upset that one "I have a scream" speech destroyed Howard Dean, but whaddyagonnado?
    David
    NateS:

I'm afraid this is getting to be the standard for all high profile sites like this (the headlines at pdaPhoneHome are very similar). Knock on wood, I was very lucky with both my i500 and Treo600, and even when they have a hiccup, I know the answer is to get it fixed, not trash it on line. There are two dynamics at work here - first, few people ever write to praise (or even marvel at) the fact these highly complex devices work at all. Second, a general juvenile, whining attitude prevails out there. True, we spent mega-bucks for these little jewels, but considering they exceed the computer and communications capabilities (in terms of raw power and ability) of th Apollo space missions, we really should be a little more tolerant of downtime.
    It ain't that bad. Most posts are still helpful, it's just the loudest screamers that are getting your attention.

Let it go. Keep enjoying the usefulness of this site and simply stop reading the threads that bother you.
    Originally posted by GalenMD
    It ain't that bad. Most posts are still helpful, it's just the loudest screamers that are getting your attention.

Let it go. Keep enjoying the usefulness of this site and simply stop reading the threads that bother you.
    i agree with the above. and as always, under the 80/20 rule, you can eliminate 80% of the negative and useless posts by using the 'ignore' feature on that 20% of the posters...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    he he he. You're whining about whiners! Let people vent a little bit, dude.... This wonderful little device has been a huge pain in the a** for a whole lot of people in the months since it was released. I love mine (when it works) but there have been many times I've cursed both Sprint and Handspring (mostly Sprint, though). I went for nearly two full weeks without ever being able to connect to web through blazer. Sure, people came up with work arounds...but is that how it has to be? Still not totally sure this thing was ready for primetime. I definitely think this device is not for the faint of heart and certainly not for my Grandmother or my parents or most anybody else I know who doesn't have the time to scour message boards trying to search for a patched version of Webpro3 or a proxy so that Blazer will work or knowledge about the ins and outs of swapping Home Addresses since the network isn't rolling over from Primary HA's to Secondary HA's blah blah blah. Nobody's trying to kill the Treo or Handspring or PalmOne. But don't sugar coat things either....
    this thread is SO funny, as I put Nate on my ignore list like a year ago over HIS putting questions in wrong areas, and not searching for his answers. Now he's finally gotten tired of the newbies and their bad habits! Well Nate, I'm taking you off my ignore list, cause you are still here, and I hope you have some valuable info for me in the future,

peace

Chris
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by christo1970
    this thread is SO funny, as I put Nate on my ignore list like a year ago over HIS putting questions in wrong areas, and not searching for his answers. Now he's finally gotten tired of the newbies and their bad habits! Well Nate, I'm taking you off my ignore list, cause you are still here, and I hope you have some valuable info for me in the future,

peace

Chris
    Thanks for taking me off your list. I'm flattered, and hope that we each find something interesting in the other's posts in the future. In fact, in everyone's posts.

However, I was not criticizing people who asked questions, regardless of whether those questions are clever, dumb or in-between.

I was criticizing those who create new threads with maliciously overboard headlines like the Treo 600 is junk, it's a fraudulent device, it is totally defective, warning don't buy it, blah blah blah. These are what I consider to be stupid and malicious posts, intended only to hurt the potential success of the product and/or to puff up the chests of those posters whom I guess are otherwise starved for attention in their lives, and must resort to temper tantrums at the expense of the rest of us. They are destructive, not constructive, and if they succeed in their quest, the rest of us will be walking around with a product which has no future.

Headlines and posts are supposed to briefly describe the problem or solution. I don't have any complaint about people expressing frustration or even anger. I do however question the motives of those who just flat out condemn the Treo by exaggeration and negative hyperbole, especially those who post "warnings" against buying it. IMHO, they have the potential to do more damage than the out-and-out trolls.

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    I agree, nat°
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Perspective. Opportunity. History.

We yell because we care.

The Apple II. An amazing device 5 years ahead of the Radio Shack and the CP/M machines. Apple III. Had the speed, the looks, the price. Reboot city. Jobs is asleep at the wheel having nervous breakdowns about Lisa (his daughter newly found). IBM PC comes out. With no software, but steady performance. After a year of hardware dissapointments we created the biggest monster of all time: Gates.

We are at the crossroads. The pencil, the fax, even the PC itself have all gotten to a point where performance improvements are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

The first smart phone that "gets it" is going to be huge. Huge. Give the world a $ 200 phone with clear signal, good speakerphone, video, decent pictures, nice software, BT, Wifi, decent battery, recorder, and you've created another billion dollar winner.

Wining? Or creating the winner? We are at a crossroads in history. We are in 1944, when ballpoints leaked and did not write smoothly.

The first one that gets it will win. Big. Donna! You gonna settle for Manzi fame or Jobs fame or Gates fame? Tell me its not Wozniak!