1.    #1  
    This page:

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

explicitly warns about attempting to use a Cingular TREO 600 on a carrier other than Cingular.

Many many posts by naive TREO 600 fans are telling others that they can do just that "without any problems" and even that palmOne's warning is not true!

TreoCentral should have an article noting that warning from palmOne and explaining what it's all about because there are undoubtedly some who are being convinced by the naive (blind leading the blind?) to buy Cingular TREOs and use them elsewhere against the suggestion of palmOne.

[editted to remove the initial words "The bottom of"]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/17/2003 at 05:09 PM.
    I would think that the statement is there to "CYA".
    Do you really think that there is a differance in the software between the GSM carriers in the US ?
    I have used my 600 on Cingular and T-mobile and it works perfectly on both.
  3.    #3  
    That is what the treocentral article being requested would answer.

BTW - if palmOne is just bull****ting, then why didn't they mention the same warning with the AT&T GSM TREO 600?

=====

And sigh...please note that your personal experience is totally meaningless w.r.t. the T-Mobile network as a whole - it means NOTHING and you shouldn't even have brought it up.

Good grief - the folks who MAKE the damn phone say "Be Careful Out There!" and you say "No need!".

Sheesh.
    Please do not feed the troll.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5.    #5  
    > Please do not feed the troll.

Go **** yourself, *****.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/17/2003 at 05:20 PM.

Gee, you took that way too personal. Take deep breaths, relax, go watch a sunset....
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    You are right, I didn't realize that it was dinner time, I should have not fed the troll
    Need I remind everyone to play nice?

It's Christmastime, and I really don't feel like being Scrooge!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    *** Cingular-branded Treo 600s have been optimized for use on the Cingular Wireless network. Customers who use Cingular-branded Treo 600s on other GSM/GPRS network may not receive optimal voice reception or data speed.
    I agree with the "CYA" assestment here. PalmOne basically wants to make it clear that they don't support the use of branded unlocked GSM treos on other providers networks, nor would I expect them to. I think everyone should already assume this to be the case so no big news imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    And sigh...please note that your personal experience is totally meaningless w.r.t. the T-Mobile network as a whole - it means NOTHING and you shouldn't even have brought it up.

Good grief - the folks who MAKE the damn phone say "Be Careful Out There!" and you say "No need!".

Sheesh.
    Sheesh indeed.

1) Of course his personal experience is NOT meaningless. In fact, what this forum thrives on is everyone's experiences. Taken together, they actually give the very best information about the T600 and the T-Mobile network and the rest. If you can't distinguish between the informed and the misinformed information, that's your problem.

2) Not one person has complained about having problems using a Cingular T600 on T-Mobile. Lots of complaints about the Sprint T600 on Sprint though. And people are complaining left and right about not being able to unlock the AT&T version.

3) Anyone who wants can change their Cingular ROM T600 to a generic GSM T600. They can do it right now. It takes about 10 minutes, in the comfort of your home. It has worked positively for everyone who has tried it, including me, except for one person in France on Orange. There is anecdotal information that it increases the GPRS transfer speed a bit (only two or three reports of this so far). Those that were having echo problems (I wasn't) also report that the ROM flash solved their problems.

BTW - if palmOne is just bull****ting, then why didn't they mention the same warning with the AT&T GSM TREO 600?
    Who knows? Maybe because they know that no one can currently unlock an AT&T T600, and that AT&T will not provide an unlock code to anyone? Why is your ill informed guess as to their reasons any more legitimate than anyone elses?

No one has said "Handspring is lying about using a Cingular ROM T600 on another network". What everyone has said is that they are happy with their Cingular ROM T600 on whatever network they use it on. But your comments are agenda based, and mostly unproductive, and very transparent.

Out of respect for MarkEagle's request, I will refrain from telling you what 99% of the members here think of you and your posts; I expect you already know.

Bill S