Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    The Treo 600 Hardware section of TreoCentral has in some ways become a victim of its own success.

    There is now such a heavy volume of traffic, that new threads, later in the very same day they are started, are pushed down so fast and so far that they only appear on the 2nd or 3rd page even after clicking the new posts button, and many persons who check in later in the day never see these posts, leaving questions or comments unread and unanswered by anyone other than the few who can afford to spend hours reading all the posts every day.

    This seems to be happening only on the Treo 600 Hardware forum.

    Anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve the method of organization and display, assuming TC's software allows it?

    NateS
  2. #2  
    The problem is basically people don't freaking post the right forum! I agree this is damned aggravating. However, when the mods try to move threads to keep the forums balanced, everyone starts complaining about it, so they're in a no win situation...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    The problem is basically people don't freaking post the right forum! I agree this is damned aggravating. However, when the mods try to move threads to keep the forums balanced, everyone starts complaining about it, so they're in a no win situation...
    Right. I did not intend to criticize the mods, but was only wishing/wondering whether the displays of threads could be further enhanced in some way by someone smarter than me. (Like, for example, the mods.)

    As for where people post, that's not going to change. Anyone who bought a treo 600 is likely to zip to this forum and post - they are not going to treat it as a general software etc. question, even though that was the intent of the original organization of TC, not only because it is contrary to human nature, but because fewer will see and read it there. It's the old story of the park maintenance crew - why keep yelling at the kids to walk on the sidewalks - just lay the sidewalks where the kids walk and save yourself the aggravation.

    But back to my original question - any ideas?

    NateS
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by NateS


    As for where people post, that's not going to change. Anyone who bought a treo 600 is likely to zip to this forum and post - they are not going to treat it as a general software etc. question, even though that was the intent of the original organization of TC, not only because it is contrary to human nature, but because fewer will see and read it there.
    That is a bit contradictary, isn't it? Your raising the issue that threads in the Treo 600 don't get read because they're being pushed to the next pages too quickly, but now you're saying that people don't post in the other forums because their post won't be read there.

    Eventually people will start posting in the other forums - I think it's mostly newbies that post in the Treo 600 forums without doing a search first. By now I only quickly scan the Treo 600 forum and check the others with more attention, simply because the posts in those forums tend to be much more valuable.

    And no, I don't have better ideas. I like the current setup so I prefer the mods leave it like this.
  5. #5  
    Hi,

    In the bad days when I was using an Ericsson, I followed everything on my R520m on the Esato forum.

    They had the same problem and gave the possibilty for people than where member to bookmark threads.

    Once on the forum, I just went to my bookmark page and picked up where I'd left of.

    Of course this didn't solve the problem of people not seeing a thread because they came in "late".

    Bye,

    Ton
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    The problem is basically people don't freaking post the right forum!
    This thread would seem to be a good example of that, as it has nothing to do with hardware, and there is an area for TreoCentral.com related posts elsewhere - http://discussion.treocentral.com/f47/s
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Mol


    That is a bit contradictary, isn't it? Your raising the issue that threads in the Treo 600 don't get read because they're being pushed to the next pages too quickly, but now you're saying that people don't post in the other forums because their post won't be read there. . . .
    Hi Mol!

    I wouldn't call it contradictory. I'd say it is a challenging paradox which is capable of a solution, though not necessarily without difficulty.

    Regards,

    NateS
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by NateS
    new threads are pushed down
    Posting a thread about it will really help.

    Also: bump.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by snerdy

    Posting a thread about it will really help.

    Also: bump.


    "We will bury you (good threads)..."

    - Nate S. Kruschev, 1956.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra




    "We will bury you (good threads)..."

    - Nate S. Kruschev, 1956.

    Bump.




  11.    #11  
    This post was in error. I tried to delete it but was not allowed to, so I am at least deleting its contents.
  12. #12  
    Hi,
    I agree with Mol. I have been on these boards for quite a while and am very tired of new people to the Treo 600 asking questions that have already been answered. They are clutteriring up these boards. I also have to thank gfunk for all of the great suggestions, the last one that I remember was "look at me". I remember when he was at 04 posts. Pretty sad. But I love my 600 and want to know everything that I can do with it. I have decided to post the following message when a person posts a question that has already been answered below. If it annoys you, please put me on your ignore list. I am just sick and tired of the same questions being asked. If you think of a better solution, please email me.

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

    I was wondering why people decide to be to lazy to do a search instead of cluttering up the new posts. I have decided on posting this exact same message for every new post with information that has already been discussed. I come on this board looking for new posts and new ideas. When the answers to your questions would only take a second for you to look it up, why not do it. If you look into the amount of reply posts that I have put up, I only have a few because I have gotten the answers that I have needed. Keep in mind that I started with the prism, visor phone, Treo 300, and now the Treo 600 (which I Love). If you are so lazy, please don't buy a Treo 600 because it will take some work to keep it up and running.
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra




    "We will bury you (good threads)..."

    - Nate S. Kruschev, 1956.
    Or move you!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by NateS
    Anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve the method of organization and display, assuming TC's software allows it?
    Unfortunately, there's no easy solution. Programmatically, I don't think there's any changes that can be made to the vBvBvB $code$.

    It would be nice to be able to "subscribe" to threads the way you can forums (clicking on the Settings link takes you to "My vBvBvB $Home$&$quot$; $where$ $you$ $can$ $subscribe$ $to$ $the$ $forums$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $track$), $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $aware$ $of$ $any$ $way$ $to$ $do$ $that$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $the$ $email$ $notification$ $is$ $a$ $viable$ $option$ $since$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $change$ $the$ $online$ $forum$ $experience$.

    Since I'm wear one of the moderator badges, I agree with the folks that think a) people should learn to use Search to find answers first, and b) post in the appropriate forum. A little common courtesy goes a long way, even in cyberspace.

    Of course, there are others who feel they don't need to play by the rules and constantly test us...
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by tjd414


    Or move you!

    Don't try to bury this thread. It's Undead.

  16. #16  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    It's Undead.
    Shoot it in the head, then. Why do movie characters have so much freaking trouble with this concept?

    Headshots, headshots, headshots. Headshots, headshots, headshots, headshots.</ballmer>
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

    Unfortunately, there's no easy solution. Programmatically, I don't think there's any changes that can be made to the vBvBvB $code$.

    It would be nice to be able to "subscribe" to threads the way you can forums (clicking on the Settings link takes you to "My vBvBvB $Home$&$quot$; $where$ $you$ $can$ $subscribe$ $to$ $the$ $forums$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $track$), $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $aware$ $of$ $any$ $way$ $to$ $do$ $that$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $the$ $email$ $notification$ $is$ $a$ $viable$ $option$ $since$ $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $change$ $the$ $online$ $forum$ $experience$.

    Since I'm wear one of the moderator badges, I agree with the folks that think a) people should learn to use Search to find answers first, and b) post in the appropriate forum. A little common courtesy goes a long way, even in cyberspace.

    Of course, there are others who feel they don't need to play by the rules and constantly test us...
    Thanks for explaining why it can't be done that way. I knew you mods would know one way or the other.

    On the subject of defining non-searchers as discourteous, however, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Any college professor would confirm that when it comes to learning, some people respond best to self-research and others to interactive Q & A.

    That explains both the student who cuts classes but aces the final exam because he "can't stand the other students' dumb questions when it's all in the book" as well as the student who struggles at home with the book or even fails to crack it, but displays tangible excitement and appreciation of the classroom discussion and interaction with the prof and other students and, as a result, also does exceptionally well on the final.

    And then there are the rest of us, somewhere in the middle, which explains why TreoCentral is such a great and justifiably popular board.

    NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by NateS
    On the subject of defining non-searchers as discourteous, however, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Any college professor would confirm that when it comes to learning, some people respond best to self-research and others to interactive Q & A.
    It's not about self-research or interactive Q & A. It's about etiquette and common courtesy. There's a BIG difference.

    "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime" - Author unknown
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime" - Author unknown
    "Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life"
    - Not Me
  20. #20  
    So to completely complicate this subject I'm going to start here. Also, it's pretty funny. I don't own a Treo, but my husband loves these things and I wanted some suggestions on what to get him for Christmas that might be related. I've never posted and I don't know much about the phones, but he's pretty into it and if there's anyone with ideas please let me know.

    thanks,
    greentea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions