1.    #1  
    I REALLY appreciate TreoCentral. This is such a great website.

Sadly though, I feel the breakout of the forums is going to be its own demise (just my opinion). While I understand the importance of organization, I feel it is a bit early. Moving threads at this point is just going to stop somthing that just started.

Especially because the 600 is so new, problems that are happening in one area of the product could be linked to another area. Without seeing other people's experiences next to yours, you may never even realize they are connected. This is a platform for poor collaboration.

Since I really dislike when people complain and don't propose a solution, here is my solution:

What I have seen work really well is to have a GENERAL area. Not the one that is already on the boards, but like a Treo 600 General. THEN have your subsections. What you will have is people who like the subsections (and the convienece of organization) will flock to the sub sections. In the meantime let the general section grow at will. After the site gets very busy, people will naturally move stuff to the sub sections.

Anyway, just an idea.
    Last edited by farzonalmaneih; 11/17/2003 at 11:07 AM.
    this is a good idea. One the belongs in a different forum, the TreoCentral.com Forum, where we are already having discussions across a couple of threads on this very topic.

A quick search of the boards, or even a glance at that forum, would tell you that.

So yes, I'm moving this thread to where it belongs.
  3.    #3  
    Np.
    I think this might work ...

A general section would be a good idea, but we also need to have the sections for software, communications, etc.

My doubts about this working really concerns the issue of content and the number of new users that come here to visit ... perhaps, instead of letting people post new threads, they should have the opportunity to ask a question, first. For example, if you were to come to the site and instead of picking a forum, the first field could be something like this ...

"Choose your hardware -- (Drop down box with choices)"

"Who is your service provider -- (Drop down box with choices)"

"What can we help you find -- (An Ask Jeeves type of box)"

Then a choice for Treo General Chat ... but only if the "Search" above can't be found.

This could help tremendously, especially the mods. This board is already agonizingly slow at times and haveing one big gigantic forum would probably slow it down more.

People will always choose the easiest way over the what many deem to be the correct way because they are unsure. Perhaps we should help them find their answers more quickly and get them to provide some input of their own.

Don't know if it will work ... just my .02.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  5.    #5  
    Well.. Taking someone's advice here on the boards I am using the "NEW POSTS" link on the page to view posts that are on many forums now. I am worried now though, because I get timed out more than 1/2 the time. I get the following error:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Not sure if the server is overburdend or its their connection.

:/
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    Well.. Taking someone's advice here on the boards I am using the "NEW POSTS" link on the page to view posts that are on many forums now. I am worried now though, because I get timed out more than 1/2 the time. I get the following error:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Not sure if the server is overburdend or its their connection.

:/
    Overburdened would be my guess.

farzon ... hope it wasn't my post -- sorry if I offended -- it wasn't my intent. I get the same message all the time as well. Maybe it's because they are always moving around posts.

Smile ....
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad