1.    #1  
    I'd like to kindly ask the TC folks to give a reaction to the ongoing flood of criticism on the recent publication of JakeE's article.

I think it's fair to say that the success of this site among Treo users is a mutual effort of your team in creating and maintaining this site (and I'd like to thank you for keeping up the great work) and us members in contributing to the forums.

From that perspective it only seems logical that we can have an open discussion about your reasons for publishing the article.

And yes, even something like "we don't want to discuss editorial decisions period" or "we've read the criticism but have no comments" would do. But please do let us know something.

Thank you for your time.
    From the CLOSED BY MIRADU thread titled: My meeting with Jeff Hawkins…Preface to “The Wizard of Palm.” By Jake Ehrlich

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm done with this thread. These discussions are going nowhere, and don't represent the treocentral community well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

miradu, I would say you hit the nail right on the head. JakeE's commentary, constant defense of himself, etc., is definitely not representative of the community. We want facts.

Here's a PM exchange between JakeE and myself:

JakeE wrote on 08-27-2003 04:45 PM:
    Hi Tommy!

The picture in my avatar is of me when I was seven. I don’t have any kids yet but I am looking forward to it.

The reason why I asked if they were your children was because you insulted me very deeply by saying that you don’t bother reading what I say but that you just read other peoples replies??? Why would you say such a rude thing???

Do you intend to teach your children behave the same way? If you are not interested in reading what I have to say that is fine with me but I think it is extremely rude and impolite to attack me without even reading what I say and I think if your children behaved that way when they got older you would be ashamed of them.

Do you have any idea how much time I have invested to in trying to improve the quality of the future of handheld computing??? The last thing I need is you getting some weird kicks with haranguing me.

Jake
    And my reply:

I didn't say that I don't bother reading your posts. What I said was that I skim them. There is a difference. I wasn't being rude. The point is, your posts can go on and on, without saying much, other than insulting JH, or other posters here on the board.

You are constantly defending yourself. Doesn't that tell you something? Your writing style is getting yourself in trouble with your fellow TC members. I loved your enthusiasm when I read your first story; however, it was a painful read. I, like most TC members, want info, not a history of the things you thought were cool when you were growing up. I guess what we're all trying to tell you is the "drama" of your writing style is inappropriate for this forum.

Give us the facts, and we'll love you. Pursue your design dreams and desires (without trying to grandstand and put the spotlight on yourself), but don't forget, as you just posted a few minutes ago in another thread, even the Wright brothers met with criticism.

My kids will be fine, thank you.

Tommy
    Last edited by tommygreen; 08/27/2003 at 06:33 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Oops, I must have missed Miradu's post over in the other thread.

Or he posted it while I was busy typing my post on my Treo...did anybody else notice writing posts to this forum is done quicker on a PC keyboard? ;-)

Anyway, I'm satisfied with his post. That's exactly the type of reaction I was looking for. Thx.
    Originally posted by Mol
    I'd like to kindly ask the TC folks to give a reaction to the ongoing flood of criticism on the recent publication of JakeE's article.

I think it's fair to say that the success of this site among Treo users is a mutual effort of your team in creating and maintaining this site (and I'd like to thank you for keeping up the great work) and us members in contributing to the forums.
    I'm not in a position to comment one way or another on the decision to publish ANY content either here or over at VC. Those decisions are NOT made by any of the moderators. Therefore, I also cannot comment on the reactions.

As for the success of the site, I agree that it IS a mutual effort. When I asked everyone to play nice and stop the personal attacks, it was a GENERAL statement to ALL. Nobody got singled out.

I cannot speak for any of the other moderators (obviously), but I do not appreciate ANYONE questioning my authority here. I try to be fair to all, and go out of my way to NOT abuse my powers. As I stated in that "other" thread, I like to give people the opportunity to correct their own situations. For that, it was implied that I was "protecting" certain individuals, called "authoritarian", and was told I couldn't tell the difference between "vigorous substantive debate" and personal attacks.

If you have a problem with the way I do something, or handle a given situation, by all means, discuss it with marcus. Don't lambaste me because I'm doing my job (voluntarily I might add).

My only concern is the image we project. This is supposed to be a nice, friendly place. As a member, that's what I've come to expect. As a moderator, that's what I DEMAND. It's been a staple since day one over at VisorCentral. I won't lower my standards (or those that we've upheld) for anyone or anything.

If that makes me "authoritarian", then so be it...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Mark has given a moderator's opinion, here is mine.

Mol, this is a very accurate statement. TreoCentral is built on providing a space for Treo users to congregate and to give them relevant information. However, in the duldrums of summer when there is no news, it is the discussion forums that bring the users and keeps the site going. So I thank you for everyone's support of this site, on good days and bad.

I do not want to go to deep into the editorial decisions of this site, but I will say this. Jake's first article was well received, and a fun read. Many people enjoyed it. Because of Jake's first article, we decided to publish his "thoughts on the future of handheld technology" as an editorial piece. We all know the event that caused Jake to put this together, but we asked him to mention it only briefly since we were not a party to his meeting. We wanted to focus on Jake's ideas, not the emotions of that event.

Every post on these boards gets read by somebody that is on staff. (moderator/editor whatever). We are listening to what you say in the boards, and in email. We like to hear what the users want as it helps cater this site towards you. So please, feel free to email the author of news/articles to tell them what they think or post things in the forums..

I want to also repeat something Mark said. TreoCentral/VisorCentral boards are known to be a very friendly palce. We stay on topic, don't have long flame wars between ppc and palm people etc. We would like to keep that image, as it is part of what we are. Doing so encourages new users to join, and makes a growing community closer.

Thank You,
    Michael Ducker (miradu)
    Senior Editor, TreoCentral.com