Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree28Likes
  1.    #1  
    webOS is still here. Why? Because the community continues to find the interface, features, and webOS experience to be valid, useful, and current. Unfortunately, the webOS Nation site (save for the forums) has fallen short of those reasons itself. Community members have long sought blame for reasons why our beloved OS has slipped through the vast public's fingers. From internal wars at Palm, bad timing for releases, poor sales due to too little (or weird) marketing, and failed hardware to mismanagement, we have seen it all. Yet we remain. We, the community. We, the users. We, the steady and resolute patrons of the "ahead of its time" mobile OS.

    I do not fault the admins of this site. Stories are hard to come by at times. News is slow and many top supporters have jumped ship to the 6" screens of Android or the 900,000 apps in the Apple store. Yet, the news is there. The community digs for it and feeds off of it. Just the mention of an LG tablet and their upcoming webOS enabled smartTVs for 2014 created a forum buzz. No updates to the frontpage. ACL pushes into Alpha 2 and nears the 30 Sep initial public release. No updates to the frontpage. This post webOS Status Report from fellow forum member Preemptive contains a neat summary and thoughts on webOS of late. No updates to the frontpage.

    This user is ready for change. But not FROM webOS but FOR its community. The idea to turn over the site admin functions to one or two new editors and provide a half-dozen researchers and writers from the community is a bold one but a doable one. Admins, I ask you consider the proposal. Let us use this forum to discuss further. I for one, volunteer to research and write proposals to the editor(s). Community members I ask you also join the discussion with ideas and thoughts of how to keep the frontpage both modern and functional for those webOS users who like me, are here to stay.

    webOS FOREVER
    Remy X, jrb363, g.vos and 8 others like this.
  2. #2  
    I think that's fair and reasonable, and shouldn't be much trouble to implement, since everyone with a forum account automatically gets an "editor/writer" page in the news section. Having someone sign a contract and enabling their page only takes a few minutes.

    And here's a misplaced reply by another member:


    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    TBH I rarely look at the front page of Webos Nation. But I wouldn't mind seeing your idea adopted. My question, what in the hell would you write about? Lol

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  3. #3  
    I still don't get why the News section has been quiet for so long. Of course I know the state of webOS but there have been done a few things in the last couple of months. At least one of 'em has gotta be newsworthy.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I still don't get why the News section has been quiet for so long. Of course I know the state of webOS but there have been done a few things in the last couple of months. At least one of 'em has gotta be newsworthy.
    News section are updated by paid editors. webOS Nations is still here but no longer part of the Mobile Nations front page. It's work to update the News section and the editors have moved on from active updates.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    News section are updated by paid editors. webOS Nations is still here but no longer part of the Mobile Nations front page. It's work to update the News section and the editors have moved on from active updates.
    Which is exactly why it is time for the community to take over.
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/29/2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: quote wasn't edited correctly
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I still don't get why the News section has been quiet for so long. Of course I know the state of webOS but there have been done a few things in the last couple of months. At least one of 'em has gotta be newsworthy.
    i think most news would end up being a sort of developer blog affair or news of webOS features being implimented on other OS rounding the news off with a solid "we told you so".

    Also because HP have washed their hands of webOS and LG is behind closed doors busy altering webOS for TV use we dont even have any webOS+HP scandal/stupidity news any more either, now its just plain ordinary stupidity news of HP on their other ventures which isnt much interest to us here.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I think that's fair and reasonable, and shouldn't be much trouble to implement, since everyone with a forum account automatically gets an "editor/writer" page in the news section. Having someone sign a contract and enabling their page only takes a few minutes.

    And here's a misplaced reply by another member:

    How is my post misplaced? I visit this forum several times a day via board express, hence by passing the front page. However, I liked the op's idea. I am not permitted to make that point? I see the post was removed by the censor gods. Oh well.

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    How is my post misplaced? I visit this forum several times a day via board express, hence by passing the front page. However, I liked the op's idea. I am not permitted to make that point? I see the post was removed by the censor gods. Oh well.

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Oh no, your post is right where you left it. In the Palm Pre and Pre Plus forum under Dead Pre+ Resurrection Help. Hence Remy X's "misplaced" comment. And to answer your original comment and others' we would write about anything and everything that pertains to webOS, devices, tips, etc. Just a continuation of what used to be consistently published on the FrontPage with albeit less HP news from the past
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Remy X likes this.
  9. #9  
    Oh. My bad. I wonder how it got into that forum since I don't visit there. Sorry for reading Remy's post incorrectly.

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  10. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #10  
    <edited by moderator>

    In my experience moving to a different forum almost never works.

    Has anyone PM'd an editor or writer from Mobile Nations? I'd think forum posts go mostly unnoticed by the MN staff. A post in an abandoned (by the staff) forum probably makes it even less likely to be seen.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/30/2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: quote removed - orignal quoted post removed
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Oh. My bad. I wonder how it got into that forum since I don't visit there. Sorry for reading Remy's post incorrectly.

    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Not a problem.
    Last edited by alanmorford; 08/30/2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: quote was jacked
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    In my experience moving to a different forum almost never works.

    Has anyone PM'd an editor or writer from Mobile Nations? I'd think forum posts go mostly unnoticed by the MN staff. A post in an abandoned (by the staff) forum probably makes it even less likely to be seen.
    This site still has a very active staff behind it. We've been with Palm for years and with Mobile Nations going back to the Treo and VisorCentral days. We have been reading the thread(s) and are passing on your suggestions. Believe me, there is no-one here that would like to see webOS and this site come back strong more than us!

    Thanks for all the input, and please know that we are reading and still working the forums actively!

    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/30/2013 at 10:54 PM.
  13. #13  
    I reckon that initially at least a monthly 'roundup' Frontpage Article would keep things 'alive' there anyway..
    It could even contain several aspects within that article such as 'Tips' - 'Gossip' - 'Tech'' - 'News'?
    Personal 'Retro-Reviews' from old timers even?

    So the 'News' doesn't have to be MEGA, Derek-style News.. just a few updates on ACL & LG etc, in the one place, at the one time per month (per week might be 'stretching it a bit'!) - easy update access for all.
    A few good quality photo's never go amiss on front pages either.. so 'Device-Owner Photo Competitions' even?

    I don't know if it will 'comeback strong' exactly.. but I sense that by definition, this Forum is beginning to head into 'enthusiast' territory anyway.. owners.. operators.. tinkerers.. hackers.. and peeps wot just LOVE webOS - despite! So that combo could make for some very interesting Front page mix-ups within/from/for this community - whilst also going with the flow of the inevitable 'changes' - I agree!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/30/2013 at 02:18 PM.

    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This site still has a very active staff behind it. We've been with Palm for years and with Mobile Nations going back to the Treo and VisorCentral days. We have been reading the thread(s) and are passing on your suggestions. Believe me, there is no-one here that would like to see webOS and this site come back strong!

    Thanks for all the input, and please know that we are reading and still working the forums actively more than us!

    Thanks
    Dave
    This is the best thing I have read on here this week and maybe even the month. Thank you, Dave, for the reply. The big idea here is just fresh content. It doesn't have to be a weekly iliad but SOMETHING to show the site visitors that webOS is still here and we still care. Thanks again.

    Alan
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/30/2013 at 10:54 PM.
    HelloNNNewman and fxspec06 like this.
  15. bimmin's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #15  
    Sounds good to me!
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ..........Believe me, there is no-one here that would like to see webOS and this site come back strong!........
    Am I missing something or reading this wrong? Or should "would" be "wouldn't"?

    -Skippy
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Am I missing something or reading this wrong? Or should "would" be "wouldn't"?

    -Skippy
    Haha. I'm pretty sure it's not a Freudian slip.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    This is the best thing I have read on here this week and maybe even the month. Thank you, Dave, for the reply. The big idea here is just fresh content. It doesn't have to be a weekly iliad but SOMETHING to show the site visitors that webOS is still here and we still care. Thanks again.

    Alan
    I'd say twice a month is the bare minimum, and weekly isn't too hard actually, if there's two or three volunteers.

    I propose having two "serious" news items, more or less from outside the community, such as OwOS updates or ecosystem-wide issues.

    Then, one app review, repair guide or tutorial,or a page of productivity hints, or an article on saving battery that saves the readers from combing through a 25-page thread .

    And finally, one light-hearted or community-oriented item, with short interviews and quotes.

    Maybe a monthly Q&A session with the "experts" among us, on a variety of topics, one topic at a time.

    So rather than being the "Associated press", churning out almost daily articles that are dry and impersonal,, it could be turned into something of a "Fireside Chat*, keeping in touch with the community, keeping morale up, posing questions (like Talk Mobile does), sharing stories and updates. Two-way communication, but in a glossier, more pleasant, magazine-like format than is possible in an open forum.

    Nothing too involved or too time-consuming

    As i said, i'll be glad to do my part


    *Fireside chats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  19. #19  
    @ghimley

    Thanks for the kind and generous offer, but starting yet another community would, unfortunately, just lead to fragmentation. This forum here has the reputation of being THE webOS forum, the place to go for tech support, with years and millions of man-hours invested into patching bugs and creating various guides and workarounds. A new forum would be starting from scratch in that regard and also lack the thousands of non-participating members that sometimes join into the discussion or suddenly come back after years of using Android.
    Last edited by Remy X; 08/30/2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Removed accidental quote
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    ...members that sometimes join into the discussion or suddenly come back after years of using Android.
    I don't know what you're talking about
    Remy X likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Whither webOS Nation?
    By bethel95 in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05/30/2013, 12:33 PM
  2. The Great webOS Nation Giveaway: webOS haiku, four HP Pre3s to win, for AT&T
    By Derek Kessler in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04/13/2013, 11:09 AM
  3. The 2012 Mobile Nations Community Awards - webOS Nation Edition!
    By James Falconer in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02/06/2013, 06:21 PM
  4. webOS Nation 2.1, the community edition
    By Derek Kessler in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11/21/2012, 04:41 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02/21/2012, 04:44 AM

Posting Permissions