Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes
  1.    #1  
    It's too soon to be really alarmed--this may just be an early summer cold--but the if the lack of any new blog posts in the past 10 days weren't enough to make me uneasy, the absence of the Monday Update this week is doing the job. Then hearing one of the iMore editors (on a major tech podcast) essentially dismiss webOS Nation as a mere asteroid in the Mobile Nations solar system (my metaphor, not his)...well, it makes me jumpy.

I'm probably just too attuned to any further sign of entropy in my webOS world, but I'm also pretty sure that this is an unprecedented period of silence. Hopefully the Preł giveaway wasn't a final hurrah.

Oh Derek, where art thou?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    It's too soon to be really alarmed--this may just be an early summer cold--but the if the lack of any new blog posts in the past 10 days weren't enough to make me uneasy, the absence of the Monday Update this week is doing the job. Then hearing one of the iMore editors (on a major tech podcast) essentially dismiss webOS Nation as a mere asteroid in the Mobile Nations solar system (my metaphor, not his)...well, it makes me jumpy.

I'm probably just too attuned to any further sign of entropy in my webOS world, but I'm also pretty sure that this is an unprecedented period of silence. Hopefully the Preł giveaway wasn't a final hurrah.

Oh Derek, where art thou?
    Yeah, Rene leaving out WebOS Nation entirely when he described the sites of Mobile Nations on MacBreak Weekly a couple weeks ago was kind of a disappointing oversight. He should know better, and I think it might point toward a general attitude of the editors behind the scenes.
    Hi.

webOS Nation is an outlier in the Mobile Nations network these days. It's disappointing, but it's reflective of the state of webOS as an operating system. Surely you've noticed that activity in the forums has been steadily dropping over the past several months.

The sad truth is that there's simply not much to write about, apart from speculation. The LG webOS team is on lockdown working on their new television, WebOS Ports is making slow and quiet progress towards an eventual beta release for the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 Open webOS ports, and Phoenix is doing their thing with ACL.

When news happens, we'll write about it. There's just not a lot of that to go around these days.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    So sad. I remember how this place was flying a couple of years ago. Mods had their hands full keeping up with the posts. It was fun! As a long time Palm fan... it's even more difficult to see the light fade out like this.
    Choorp, Rnp, Vistaus and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    So sad. I remember how this place was flying a couple of years ago. Mods had their hands full keeping up with the posts. It was fun! As a long time Palm fan... it's even more difficult to see the light fade out like this.
    Not like this ... not like this ...

How to die (matrix) - YouTube
    Erm, Derek?

Not trying to be greedy, but in the vein of this slowdown thread... Wasn't there more swag to be given away???

I'm sure I saw a 4G TouchPad in the original announcement for the Great Give Away and maybe some accessories as well...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus, Rnp, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Sad indeed my friend!
    Derek,
    I think of this like a sport. Right now .... it's the offseason.

Hopefully, fans of webOS can maintain their vigil for such a great OS. That optimism is now hanging its' hat on what still remains out there --- ACL in the works (and hopefully as projected), LG working on webOS (NDA's suck) and open webOS hanging out there (admittedly with little news), plus PIC doing their other projects. Add a dedicated webOS Internals & the rest of the gang to that list.

webOS fans have been prodded and probed, such that I'm sure we can endure the Off-Season for a little longer. Maybe we need to defer to Fletch in this case.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zf2UBp7fY[/YT]

seems like it would be nice to at least post the latest monday brief every week, even if webOS isn't mentioned at all.
    jrb363 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Ah, the glory days of PreCentral. There was always something new to read and tons of forum posts to sift through. New patches, apps, and other homebrew projects were being released every couple of days.

I still check back here every day. Not because there's anything good to read, but because I've been doing so since June of 2009. It's a hard habit to break... Oh how I wish webOS could have survived.
    +1000 Other sites just aren't the same. And after using webOS for so long - Android truly doesn't compare on my One. I'm still going to keep hoping for a breath of life down the line for webOS and will be one of the first to jump on whatever comes.
    jrb363 likes this.
    Funny how everyone is talking about LG only about their TV's because that's the only news they brought to us so far. But no one is talking about a possible webOS Phone. Don't forget that LG webOS Team is under an NDA so who knows what they're working on? It could be possible they're working on new devices beyond TV's.

I really hope webOS gets a second chance because it deserves it. I'm still holding onto my Pre 3 as it's slowly dying in my hands (yes, battery is dying for the second time in Its life). But no one can grasp from under my hands. Not until It's dead.
    My TP on the other hand is still rocking my everyday usage. I wouldn't even think replacing it, unless I can replace it with another Touchpad when it dies lol.
    RumoredNow and chav1to like this.
    I agree. LG is the only thing that can save WebOS these days. I just can't believe they bought a mobile OS just for TVs

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Sadly (but honestly) this site has not become a discussion site for enthusiasts. We will get a few new users who have just purchased a device from somewhere, but the restaurant has basically closed but we're still serving coffee and good conversation for those locals who want to hang out and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    It used to be! There's just nothing left to talk about anymore.

Sent via Nexus 4
    Are you saying this is like a Seinfeld episode? It's a show site about nothing!
    Choorp and jrb363 like this.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Wow, I stopped by wondering if this site would even still be up. You got moxie if you use a WebOS device in 2013, I'll say that.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Good OL MC likes this.
    @Choorp: Like I said: the webOS Team is under an NDA so who knows what they're working on.
    We have moved in the mobile phone version of theoretical physics. Unless the conversation turn to speculation or other "might-be / could-have-been" subjects... there is nothing to talk about. It is a shame, which is most noticeable when I try to juggle two apps simultaneously on my Sammy G3. Android OS still is pretty useless in juggling all but specifically designed apps (and even then it is a pain in comparison.)

The Pre 2 is still my daily driver, but I'm seeing the end of the road for the Pre. Unless HP or LG or somebody provides the "di-lithium crystals" this ship ain't gonna sail much longer. Especially as web based services continue to drop ongoing support as API's move away from the currently available webOS programs or servers supporting webOS are turned off

Somebody, please... "Make it so"

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Wow, I stopped by wondering if this site would even still be up. You got moxie if you use a WebOS device in 2013, I'll say that.
    Moxie to still be using webOS? Why? It's still an OS that is arguably better than MS and Android. I'm running the Pre3 and an HTC One right now. If HP hadn't imploded and webOS was still progressing strongly.. I'd never look at my One. It's a beautiful phone, but there really is a huge gap between the OS's. My Pre2 is going to my gf who loves it. Just because Android has Google's power behind it (and wouldn't experience what HP did) doesn't mean it's a superior OS. Sadly... this has become a study for college business courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    Yeah, I got Moxie!!! I usually get either: "Is that a new phone?" from the unversed... or "You're still rocking that? from the techo-geeks.

But I can still use my phone, look up a contact and read from an e-mail received without dropping anything. Droid or Apple can't, I haven't tried with Windows or Blackberry.

(Oh, and the game I was running is still waiting for me too)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Don't forget that LG webOS Team is under an NDA so who knows what they're working on?
    Come now, Vistaus...

Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast