Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering what is going to happen the site in the long run? I mean will we be shut down? Are a permannat member of Mobile Nations meaning we will always be here?
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    qbenguy and kataran like this.

(to proper forum)
    Hi Ventus221,

As webOS drifts on with no new developments, you will most likely see the front page articles stopped (not much you can write about anyway). We have been told that as long as members are coming here for resources and keep posting, the forums will be kept up and running. Hopefully some miracle will happen that brings webOS alive again for mobile devices!

But that being said, if it stays like this for the long run you will see the front page will wind down, but the forums will roll forward until traffic (or lack there of) causes them to be rolled into one of the other sites - like TreoCentral was rolled into our site. We are all hoping for a resurgence, but such is the evolution of mobile.

For now and the foreseeable future the forums will be here. Keep posting and enjoying webOS and we'll all see how long the ride is together. It's all shiny.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/14/2013 at 11:14 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Ok can do
    We have two options:

1) Keep the forums running until only spammers posts in them, at which time we close and archive the site (see VisorCentral.com, which was partially forked over to treocentral)

2) Rebrand the site and community into a multi-os site.

Not sure which approach to take yet. The second option is appealing, as there is soo much history in these forums (posts that goes back to 1999!)
    Yay Marcus!

As I've cast my vote in the past... I'm all for a site dedicated towards Open Source OS's.
    somline, Rnp and kataran like this.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    We have two options:

1) Keep the forums running until only spammers posts in them, at which time we close and archive the site (see VisorCentral.com, which was partially forked over to treocentral)

2) Rebrand the site and community into a multi-os site.

Not sure which approach to take yet. The second option is appealing, as there is soo much history in these forums (posts that goes back to 1999!)
    I would definitely prefer option 2. I definitely don't want to see these forums shut down, as I have grown to love the community here. I guess our only hope is that LG will someday release webOS onto SOMETHING for us to talk about, even if it is just a tv.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
    I mean will we be shut down?
    Why shut down webos nation? We now have 2 big companies (HP and LG) that are behind webOS. Or did you get any other statement from these companies?
    (I think personally think both companies are doing much much too little to make webOS successful in the near future.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Why shut down webos nation? We now have 2 big companies (HP and LG) that are behind webOS. Or did you get any other statement from these companies?
    (I think personally think both companies are doing much much too little to make webOS successful in the near future.)
    He wasn't suggesting that.. just asking a question. Take a look at Marcus' post above.
  10.    #10  
    Im actually for making webos nations a multi os section that is for smaller os's to prosper in

Ide actually also want to have Mr. Kessler as the head o this section
    even if we moved elsewhere its not like anything would improve, fair play if the powers that be decide the sites not worth maintaining, then being redirected elsewhere is a given, but activly pursuing a move isnt needed just for the sake of change.

lets just wait and see what happens whenever the time comes.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    it would be sad I remember when webOS roundup started to wind down its not an easy thing

I value this forum and will do my part to help it survive
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Be. Here. Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    Amen, and glad to hear you feel that way! Seriously, there's so much information in these threads. I know just for webOS in particular, PreCentral/webOSNation has been The Go To Forum from the start. Would be a shame for all that to vanish!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'm curious. What other mobile phones or hardware or any other discontinued tech is as popular as webOs? That is, are there other forums like this with an active user base that is so stubbornly hanging on? I mean, we are buying devices that have no development or support future. How is this in comparison to the bigger market cattle mentality?

I'm baffled why someone cannot figure out how to make money at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rblakeney View Post
    I'm curious. What other mobile phones or hardware or any other discontinued tech is as popular as webOs? That is, are there other forums like this with an active user base that is so stubbornly hanging on? I mean, we are buying devices that have no development or support future. How is this in comparison to the bigger market cattle mentality?

I'm baffled why someone cannot figure out how to make money at this.
    There's PalmOS before webOS, and Windows Mobile before Windows Phone 7. Granted, those are probably pretty darn quiet now, but they were very popular not so long ago.

And there have to be Symbian and Maemo folks out there, too. For that matter, wonder how the CrackBerry forums will look as things fracture toward the new BBOS generation of stuff. At any rate, Symbian owned (and may still?) the world while being backed by Nokia hardware. I still drool looking at some of the Symbian phones.
    I really miss my Pre and can only hope to see webos available for my pos android phone. It makes me sick to see other os's brag about features that webos had in 2009. TMobile had it right when they ran the advertising asking ATT why they wanted to buy them when their network was so bad.

As far as support for old technology goes I remember when the Commodore Amiga was
    killed. There was talk about resurrecting it also. and it had strong community support . It was by far the best os out there but the market thought otherwise.

I guess it's time to pick another superior but doomed platform, I'm kind of getting used to disappointment. At least my reel to reel tape recorders still work.
    ananimus likes this.
    'Mobility', by it's very name, is indeed moving fast now!

It seems that webOS Nation is more about the OS itself and also improving it now?
    But also of course still catering for all the (increasing) 'legacy' Palm/HP Devices!

If Open WebOS is ever to migrate sucessfully onto 'other' devices then surely they also will be here - by default?

I had my first mobile phone, an Ericsson S868 'brick', for over 14 years before recently replacing it - with a Pre3! (Pic below).
    That was a Quantum leap - and I would very much hope to be able to still come HERE in a few years time and download *OSwebOS* (why isn't it called that?) 6.0.5 into my devices - along with all their glitches - and still find all the 'Prware' patches and cures etc here too!

Life's Good - and it will keep getting better - let's see how it goes and enjoy it!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/17/2013 at 12:19 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by formerwebosfan View Post
    I guess it's time to pick another superior but doomed platform, I'm kind of getting used to disappointment. At least my reel to reel tape recorders still work.
    Somewhere there's a GIF of a gadget hipster that's appropriate here.
    PS:

From this --> to this!
    Long Live webOS Nation!

Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    ananimus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast