Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello, my name is Kyle. I'm a huge fan of mobile nations, and now they have different sections for different OSes. I think it is one of the best tech blogs ever. But I would like to give feedback. I don't mean this in any harm webos nation, or any cruelty. So if you don't like my idea, please don't put it down. I mighty start talking a little bias now.

Since webos is pretty much dead (I know lg bought it, and I don't think it will do much, same goes for open webos), this part of mobile nations, to me, should be changed to something else. And this wouldn't get rid of webos. My idea is to have this part of mobile nations be for all other Mobile OSes that aren't the top, like Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu, WebOS, etc. Because now, there isn't much to talk about WebOS.

I hope you consider my idea. If I hurt any of your feelings, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.
    Last edited by unstoppablekem; 03/13/2013 at 02:08 PM.
    I was actually thinking about this a little while ago. I think it's a great idea!

"OtherOS Nation"? lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I was actually thinking about this a little while ago. I think it's a great idea!

"OtherOS Nation"? lol
    Something like that, but a bit more creative. But good idea!

And thanks!
    Well, there are other forums already in existance, which are dedicated to those OSs... No need to reinvent the wheel or bring back the ****ing fest and hostility of the days when webOS was just introduced and this forum was home to PalmOS and WinMo...

Oh and welcome to the forum. I hope you actually own/use a webOS device and not someone who came here to prod us for reaction.

P.S. Don't forget that webOS has it's open-source branch, and that's far from dead
    Rnp likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Well, there are other forums already in existance, which are dedicated to those OSs... No need to reinvent the wheel or bring back the ****ing fest and hostility of the days when webOS was just introduced and this forum was home to PalmOS and WinMo...

Oh and welcome to the forum. I hope you actually own/use a webOS device and not someone who came here to prod us for reaction.

P.S. Don't forget that webOS has it's open-source branch, and that's far from dead
    Yes, there are other forums in existence, but not in mobile nations. And I never said get rid of webos, just talk about those other OSes along with webos on this site. And I have used a webos device. Oh, and I NEVER said I hate webos, I think it is good, but not my favorite. And yes, I do know there is open webos, which only works on select devices.
    From this article:
    For obvious reasons, things have been significantly lower recently and activity has died down as people understandably moved on to other platforms. After more than thirteen years of continuous operation, we are now looking at what could very well be the end of this community. So long as the traffic justifies the investment, webOS Nation will continue to persist and exist, but we do have to acknowledge that we know this road eventually ends. How far we have to go until the pavement gives way to the sands of the lost OS desert, or webOS Nation evolves into something new and continues the legacy of VisorCentral, TreoCentral, and PreCentral, we honestly can't say, because we don't know. Right now is a sort of play-it-by-ear period for us, the last remaining major webOS blog and community.
    Repurposing WebOS Nation to include some of the other smaller systems seems to be the best way to save it. Mobile Nations would be able to easily increase their reach while grabbing more readers. They get more readers, and we don't have to worry about losing the site completely. Everyone wins!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    There is forums about other SOs... And few pages about webOS.

Bad idea. Sorry.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Believe me... we have mentioned many things.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/13/2013 at 02:40 PM.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    From this article:

Repurposing WebOS Nation to include some of the other smaller systems seems to be the best way to save it. Mobile Nations would be able to easily increase their reach while grabbing more readers. They get more readers, and we don't have to worry about losing the site completely. Everyone wins!
    ^^^
    This!
    it would just end up a flame war type affair like

amiga vs atari
    windows vs os2warp
    mac vs the world
    playstation vs xbox
    marmite lovers vs marmite haters

you could go on forever, eventually youd have enthusiasts for webOS (or insert any other subject/os/football team/fave color/etc) simply being spoken over and pushed out of their own "home?".
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    it would just end up a flame war type affair like

amiga vs atari
    windows vs os2warp
    mac vs the world
    playstation vs xbox

you could go on forever, eventually youd have enthusiasts for webOS (or insert any other subject/os/football team/fave color/etc) simply being spoken over and pushed out of their own "home?".
    You aren't being pushed out of your "home", you will have more "people" move to your "neighborhood".
    In some respects this might be a place where more talk about emerging OS choices would happen in-depth or even continued discussion of some discontinued OS choices...

However, a wholesale change over to a generic "Mobile Nations" umbrella might be a bit of overkill at this point. It would almost guarantee alienating a very fiercely loyal core group, many of whom have been here since the Treo Central days. You can't disregard that type of longevity and there is still a lot of traffic here revolving around webOS. We still get new users all the time according to what I see in the forums. Granted it is a trickle. Likewise with development. We still see some advances on a regular basis...

I would certainly welcome an upgrade to the "Other OS's and Devices" category. Break it back out into it's own forum (or even two!!!) with sub-forums being expanded. I think that would get some more users and discussion here in a way that does not diminish the appeal for webOS-heads.

Emerging OS's and Devices
    • Asha
    • FaceBook OS
    • FireFox OS
    • Sailfish
    • Tizen
    • Ubuntu Touch

Legacy OS's and Devices
    • Bada
    • Maemo
    • MeeGo
    • Palm OS (moved from present location)
    • Symbian
    • Windows Mobile (moved from present location)

I'm sure I've missed a couple of entries on each list, but it gives you a general idea. If word got pushed out it might bring more traffic to this site and help to:
    A) extend the life of the site as webOS goes through yet another stage of wait and see
    B) get some other marginal users interested in webOS...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ROFL isn't that the weird Australian stuff? If so awesome pull as an example.

@OP, being someone who has no control over the end decision if those other OSs find a home somewhere within the Mobile Nations family, thank you for your input.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    You aren't being pushed out of your "home", you will have more "people" move to your "neighborhood".
    unfortunatly thats not how the internet/irc/forums/websites work in reality, would be nice if they did tho.

---------

i suppose my personal issue would be that i have zero interest in my neighbours, and if i did id visit their forums rather than dilute my preferred stomping grounds with heaps of stuff that didnt really apply to me or help me, wading through 99% of the other stuff to try and find the 1% that applies to me would likely get annoying fast.

for a demo try finding anything useful on a the android forums, their a massive heap of subforums, its quite hard sometimes to find anything of use.

thats just me tho
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    However, a wholesale change over to a generic "Mobile Nations" umbrella might be a bit of overkill at this point. It would almost guarantee alienating a very fiercely loyal core group, many of whom have been here since the Treo Central days. You can't disregard that type of longevity and there is still a lot of traffic here revolving around webOS.
    an old example would be when the good old c64 started to give way to the amiga, several magazines started dropping c64 content and started adding amiga stuff, this basically annoyed the c64 users who didnt want their magazines/reading time infected with irrelevant stuff from their big amiga cousin.

it was only when they both got seperate magazines that normality set in and both sides were happy, im sure this place would be considerably less of a nice place to visit if 95% of the threads here were about ios5/6 when your trying to get help or info on something webOS related.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Vegemite is Australian, Marmite is British... They are kind of like a speadable soy sauce sort of condiment, though i haven't tried either.

And to the guy that says that Open webOS runs only on a few select devices, that's FUD. WebOS is Linux, you can run it on any phone out there, as long as the bootloader is unlockable. If you can compile the kernel with minor modifications, you can run it. The only problem is that graphics drivers written for the Android spec don't include the webOS-specific code, so usabilty suffers on every Android devce...
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I hope there are a few others who, like me, have not given up on webOS. I come here for information about webOS and to contribute where I can. I have to wade through enough unsupported personal opinion and bumph as it is. I would not bother coming here if it was as you suggested.

If a forum for other OS's is required create one, and if the traffic on webOS Nation sinks to those levels then put it in there too. In the mean time webOS doesn't need more obstacles to its survival.

webOS Nation is for webOS.
    This would totally suck.
    an old example would be when the good old c64 started to give way to the amiga, several magazines started dropping c64 content and started adding amiga stuff, this basically annoyed the c64 users who didnt want their magazines/reading time infected with irrelevant stuff from their big amiga cousin.

it was only when they both got seperate magazines that normality set in and both sides were happy, im sure this place would be considerably less of a nice place to visit if 95% of the threads here were about ios5/6 when your trying to get help or info on something webOS related.
    I'm not sure how many would come here for iOS... I wouldn't include any of the other Nations. That part should stay the same as it is now. If you go into other OS's and click on the Apple iOS subforum header it (rightly so) redirects you to iMore or Blackberry >Crackberry or Android > Android Central or WP > Windows Phone Central. They have large forums.

What we might want to embrace (and I'm sure the owners/admins have discussed) is the idea of pulling in marginalized users from smaller platforms. If this site's traffic falls below a certain point then it easier for them to just pull the plug. Then no one has a home here. Where would we congregate? Certainly not iMore.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    We've been really bucking for it.
    You and others thinking this shows just how great an idea this is.
    Hey! I say you guys start a petition.

A place for all OpenSource would be a blast.

"OpenSource Nations - Dedicated to All Things OpenSource"
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast