Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
    Edit...

It most likely would be a seperate site.
    A sister site.
    Just call me Berd.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    And to the guy that says that Open webOS runs only on a few select devices, that's FUD. WebOS is Linux, you can run it on any phone out there, as long as the bootloader is unlockable. If you can compile the kernel with minor modifications, you can run it. The only problem is that graphics drivers written for the Android spec don't include the webOS-specific code, so usabilty suffers on every Android devce...
    That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. Like it won't run on a lumia 920.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Where would we congregate? Certainly not iMore.
    god forbid we ended up as a yahoo group or something nearly as watered down.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Edit...

A sister site.
    Well, that is better than nothing, right?
    Don't get me wrong... I LOVE webOS and hope most passionately for it's resurgence either through proprietary OEM hardware (LG) or ports to existent hardware for Open Source (Internals/webOS Ports team).

I've been here just less than a year. I have over 1,500 posts. Obviously I am both still a new member when compared to many other members, but also very committed to the OS.

However, there is no denying that this site is dwindling. Something must be done. Players saying in effect, "I'm gonna take my ball and go home," because of the way the game is going right now helps no one and might just end the game.

I say expand the field and extend the game.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    unstoppablekem likes this.
  6.    #26  
    It is jut because on most mobile nations podcasts, webos nation isn't there. There isn't as much to talk about webos versus android, iOS, and even WP and BB.

If I'm wrong, tell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    It is jut because on most mobile nations podcasts, webos nation isn't there. There isn't as much to talk about webos versus android, iOS, and even WP and BB.

If I'm wrong, tell me.
    even with an influx of other os's that wouldnt change, thered still be little to speak of webOS wise
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X and MartinH@webos like this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    even with an influx of other os's that wouldnt change, thered still be little to speak of webOS wise
    Huh?
    Unfortunately, I'm sure many users will shelve the webOS stuff over time until Open webOS starts progressing onto devices. I'd love seeing one site for Open OS's but as Berd mentioned, we'll most likely see dedicated sites.
    Garrett92C likes this.
  10.    #30  
    Who knows all the secrets in Mobile Nations, who might know about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I hope there are a few others who, like me, have not given up on webOS. I come here for information about webOS and to contribute where I can.
    I'm still here and so is the wife, webOS phones and tablets every day, so you aren't alone John
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    ditto
    I was also thinking to suggest similar idea about transformation of this place from webOS nation to openos nation. This could become place for Ubuntu touch, FirefoxOS, Saltfish, open webOS and webOS but from user perspective on the contrary to xda developers and their often negative attitude.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Totally agree with and love the idea. But... da future is up to da owners
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Edit...

A sister site.
    That could work too! Then webOS could be merged into it when/if there isn't enough traffic to justify keeping WebOS Nation open.

I'd love having an OpenSource Nation site to visit and chat about all those smaller platforms.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Hello, my name is Kyle. I'm a huge fan of mobile nations, and now they have different sections for different OSes. I think it is one of the best tech blogs ever. But I would like to give feedback. I don't mean this in any harm webos nation, or any cruelty. So if you don't like my idea, please don't put it down. I mighty start talking a little bias now.

Since webos is pretty much dead (I know lg bought it, and I don't think it will do much, same goes for open webos), this part of mobile nations, to me, should be changed to something else. And this wouldn't get rid of webos. My idea is to have this part of mobile nations be for all other Mobile OSes that aren't the top, like Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu, WebOS, etc. Because now, there isn't much to talk about WebOS.

I hope you consider my idea. If I hurt any of your feelings, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it.
    I WANTED to be offended by your suggestion... I WANTED to say "Go away you...you...you...troublemaker!"
    But you know what? That's not a bad idea. It's sad to say so, but 1) we have to be realistic; and 2) a future gem might be buried somewhere in that list. None of this means that I am any less enamored of webOS than I have ever been!

You didn't hurt my feelings. I like the idea.

BTW, I especially like RumoredNow's idea of sets of both "emerging" and "legacy" OSs.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Rnp and unstoppablekem like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That could work too! Then webOS could be merged into it when/if there isn't enough traffic to justify keeping WebOS Nation open.

I'd love having an OpenSource Nation site to visit and chat about all those smaller platforms.
    Either way, content on MN about OS OSs would give me an excuse to learn more about them and a reason to follow them more closely.

If it happens and it's another part of MN and not part of WN, personally I will be happy to offer to assist in the moderation there as well. I know a lot of our developers and homebrewers and former Palm/HP staff are showing interest in these platforms and it would be a great chance to potentially interact with them again as part of my high paying volunteer job.

I'm really not sold on any specific other OS besides webOS so other then looking at some info, I haven't dedicated that part of my brain to learning a lot of new in depth mobile OS stuff.

So consider this me officially and formally submitting my application to moderate forums that don't currently exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I was also thinking to suggest similar idea about transformation of this place from webOS nation to openos nation. This could become place for Ubuntu touch, FirefoxOS, Saltfish, open webOS and webOS but from user perspective on the contrary to xda developers and their often negative attitude.
    Users vs developers?

Well.. If say you got rid of the developers to curtail some perceived negativity, what would we end up with? Unbridled idealism and no-one to fix bugs.

At this point in time i don't feel it's worth alienating anyone or letting others bait the ones who have a bad temperment. Every qualified and passionate person counts IMHO

Anyway, the XDA forum may have its issues but some of these guys played a big part in solving the QHUSB-DLOAD stuck/bricked TP issue...
    Last edited by Remy X; 03/13/2013 at 05:23 PM.
    I'm not in favor of this idea.

While there's admittedly not much webOS news these days and honestly I don't visit the site on a daily basis like I used to, I like knowing that when I come here everything that I'm reading about is focused on the OS I love the most, webOS.

Secondly, I'm hopeful that between Open webOS and the LG purchase that in the upcoming months there will be more to talk/read about.

And as far as webOS being dead, I just purchased Splashtop Remote for my TouchPad, which is working very nicely for me. I'd recently purchased a Windows 8 tablet because I needed to run some Windows apps and the weight of my MacBook Pro was killing my shoulder. Now, thanks to my trusty TouchPad I can run access all my Windows apps running on Parallels, access my Filemaker Pro CRM database intouch | CRM for Insurance Agents and Advisors | Home on the Mac side of my machine. Just placed the Acer W510 on eBay last night and I don't need to get an iPad in order to travel light and access the database.

webOS lives!

P.S.: Now don't shoot me for being a hypocrite (by discussing another mobile OS) but I'd like to briefly say that the Windows 8 "Metro" interface is surprisingly nice and takes several cues from webOS. However, its not nearly as elegant or intuitive and you're sometimes forced to go into classic Windows desktop mode, or worse yet a DOS command line in order to do basic things like manage Wi-Fi profiles. This is one reason I was happy to run back to webOS. Another example is with the live tiles. What's the point of seeing an image of a contact on the "People" tile if when you click the tile, that person doesn't show up but you just see a list of everyone. Kinda anti-synergy in nature.
    Remy X, MartinH@webos and Rnp like this.
    Well, when webOS has been considered worthy of purchase by a major electronics manufacturer that DOES intend to manufacture hardware, I think writing it off is premature.

It's true that this family of sites is about mobile systems and if a TV OS is as far as it goes, then I imagine this site will eventually be folded due to lack of interest. Of course if LG give webOS a proper shot on a phone or Open webOS takes off, then the game will have changed again.

The powers that will make that decision have told us that we are in a 'wait and see' period. For the reasons given by other commenters, I don't like this idea.

However, I do think a forum for upcoming and legacy OSes IS a good idea. I think it was sort of suggested above. A new OS that goes mainstream can be given it's own site and an OS past it's sell by date can be retired there without losing the valuable accumulation of information. If traffic dwindles too much for the operators of this site, webOS may end up there, but at least this forum will survive. Also, those looking for a future OS can see what the future might hold.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast