Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Just wondering, does anyone actually go into the forums and look for posts? I almost exclusively use the New Posts search, so the forums just become similar to tags. I never actually give much attention to the specific categories they're in, only using it if the post is about problems with a specific device or something like that.
    I'm here most every day... I count on the bold nature of thread titles that have new posts in them, but I never use the new posts function.

I like combing through the forums by hand. There are certain ones I'm sure to visit every log-in and others that only get looked at occasionally. I imagine it would be rather painful (for me) to comb through all the new posts to find what interests me and I like knowing before hand what forum/subforum I'm in so I know the topic before reading the posts.

@GMMan... I've seen you giving TP specific advice in the phone forums. Now I know why.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  2.    #22  
    I like the new private message notification, though can it be done not with an alert(), but in one of the corners of the page? The message box that pops up is a bit intrusive, similar in nature to all those "Do you want to install Tapatalk?" messages in other forums. (BTW, I receive email notifications, so the popups are not that useful, but maybe it'll get me to respond to people sooner.)

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    @GMMan... I've seen you giving TP specific advice in the phone forums. Now I know why.
    I have been getting more accurate though, haven't I?
    I like the new private message notification, though can it be done not with an alert(), but in one of the corners of the page? The message box that pops up is a bit intrusive, similar in nature to all those "Do you want to install Tapatalk?" messages in other forums. (BTW, I receive email notifications, so the popups are not that useful, but maybe it'll get me to respond to people sooner.)

I have been getting more accurate though, haven't I?
    I thought there was a setting in preferences to control the use of the popup - at least there is on other vbulletin forums. I need to remove that Tapatalk notifier from my forum... Not sure if that is against their TOS or not, but I don't care.

I can't comment on the organization, as I almost exclusively use the new post function. Once a forum gets over about 8 forums, or when there are sub-forums, I find it cumbersome to just browse the forums. I do tend to miss some stuff that way, but I'd miss stuff the other way too.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I thought there was a setting in preferences to control the use of the popup - at least there is on other vbulletin forums.
    Found the option. I don't object to the notification, just the method it's delivered with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I thought there was a setting in preferences to control the use of the popup - at least there is on other vbulletin forums.
    Yup you can still turn it off, we default it to on for users that may not have email notifications and/or not know about the "new" notifications in the user control panel at the top of the page
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yup you can still turn it off, we default it to on for users that may not have email notifications and/or not know about the "new" notifications in the user control panel at the top of the page
    Is that a global change? I don't remember seeing any popups about it before today.
    GMMan... we had them set up as 'on' globally until the recent Passport change. I checked yours today before sending you a PM and it was set to 'on'. As OldSkoolVWLover said, you can turn them on/off in your "Settings" at the top of the page, then Edit Options / Messaging & Notification.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Hey GMMan, just so you know they moved the Skype option (and other contact options into the pop-out menu that comes up with you mouse over the users avatar), might want to change your sig... I just realized this change today, since I had been sick and busy I haven't been on as much the last month so still catching up with some stuff.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #29  
    The Skype icon is still on the left right now, but I'll keep an eye out for when it changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    Which forum are you looking for?
    Was initially looking for Android on webos forum, but then found it 30 minutes later. Today I tried visiting the forum again only to find it wasnt where it was before and went on another hunt for 10 minutes looking around. Only then did I notice it was given its own forum rather than the tiny text under other os.
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    The Skype icon is still on the left right now, but I'll keep an eye out for when it changes.
    You are correct, it's only on when you are on so I thought it might have been moved to the pop-out. Since I saw the other contact info there (twitter, G+).
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    Was initially looking for Android on webos forum, but then found it 30 minutes later. Today I tried visiting the forum again only to find it wasnt where it was before and went on another hunt for 10 minutes looking around. Only then did I notice it was given its own forum rather than the tiny text under other os.
    That should be the last move for Android on webOS I believe... it was a requested change, from the initial setup I believe.
    I like the new organization, but I have still some questions: Where is the difference between "webOS Homebrew Apps" and "webOS Apps & Games"?

If it only differs on the source, then maybe they should be one forum with tags [HP], [App Catalog] and [Preware]. As every second thread in "webOS Apps & Games" seems to be about some stuff from Preware there would be another benefit: User could tag Thread themselves... Or some mod should move all homebrew threads from "webOS Apps & Games" to the homebrew section...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That should be the last move for Android on webOS I believe... it was a requested change, from the initial setup I believe.
    OK, where did it end up? I could only find a section on Android central. Nice that you are driving page views to a sister site but I liked finding here on WebOS Nation.
    Hi jbates,

You can find the forum moved under the "Other OS's and Devices". Yeah... It takes me a bit longer to find it too.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/05/2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Can I request once again a larger icon for "go to first new post". (little down arrow on left hand side) it is much too small on a Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Can I request once again a larger icon for "go to first new post". (little down arrow on left hand side) it is much too small on a Touchpad.
    Let me see what I can do...
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    A little better now?...
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  19.    #39  
    I think too big. It looks silly on a desktop browser;
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    What about Forums? https://developer.palm.com/appredire...opments.forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast