• 2 Post By webos_ftw
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By webos_ftw
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By CrackBerry Kevin
  • 1 Post By CrackBerry Kevin
  1.    #1  
    First they spit in your eye, then they smack your face.

State of the Mobile Nations Survey: We need your opinion! | webOS Nation
    https://www.research.net/s/mobilenations-winter2012

BOO!!! HISS!!!

Boycott this rubbish.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and Grabber5.0 like this.
    I'm not sure which part the TouchPad browser does not support, but I think using custom checkboxes are completely unnecessary. Standard ones are fine, even if a bit small. I don't know when the entire custom survey GUI elements thing started. Regular radio buttons are handled fine on the TouchPad.

BTW, I left most of the "what platform do you think is best for" section blank. I don't have much for comparison. Never used BlackBerry, only used first gen iPod touch, and don't think anything of Windows Phone. How about "don't know"/"don't care"?

And for "what operating system on your next phone", it'd be nice if there was an "other" text field. What if it's running Firefox OS? Ubuntu? Open webOS? Maybe this survey is biased towards mainstream platforms. webOS for them was an afterthought. If there wasn't a webOS Nation within Mobile Nations, they probably wouldn't have bothered.

Oh, and maybe it would have helped the page passed W3C validation.
    RumoredNow, renater and Remy X like this.
    FYI... your Mods here stepped up and got vocal on our member's behalf when the Poll was released and got the higher-ups to realize we are still part of the family. Yes, webOS may be in flux right now with the future and direction of Open webOS still to realized, but we still have amazingly dedicated and hard-core webOS fans who really may not be interested in switching right now (personally, my next phone/OS choice is a Pre3).

We'll stay vocal until the last breath of webOS... which we hope is a long, long ways down the road. We have no problem with - and understand - those who choose to move on, even if only until they see something happen with webOS again. We're with you when it comes to polls like this not including webOS members when the temperature of Mobile Nations is taken. But... lets stay calm and not start a riot.

Oh yea... <<thread moved>> hehheh
    Remy X likes this.
  4.    #4  
    LOL the hasty scramble to try and tack webOS in somewhere was a bit of a sham, to say the least.

I was pretty startled at the lack of inclusion. I understand things aren't moving along as they would with corporate release of devices, but the rather large lady hasn't sung yet...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/05/2012 at 03:26 AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Funny how webOS was added to one question...

I try and keep up with all the other nations, but I honestly don't care about Android (I hate it tbh)
    I have no use for iOS (I hate it too)
    The WP8 launch did nothing but prove to me that Microsoft can't work with anyone else and not **** it up
    But I'm still waiting for BB10 (Looks really nice, but looks can be are liars)
    I've tried Symbian (its ok, just not for me)
    I've tried MeeGo (nice, but not worth the $500 XD)
    Maemo feels like just linux on a small screen (I have a laptop for that :P )
    BB4,5,6,7 all feel meh
    Firefox OS looks like a whole lot of nothing I care about
    bada looks like a skin over Android (and its too damn expensive for the phones)
    Series40 isn't bad, just I need more from a phone
    PalmOS and Windows Mobile are too outdated for my use
    Aliyun OS is only in Chinese (kinda a slight problem, since I don't know Chinese)
    Tizen, SHR, Mer, LiMO, and GridOS aren't on any device I can find
    Brew doesn't give me enough out of a phone
    Windows 8 is ok... on a real machine I still prefer Linux
    That brings me to the ONLY thing left (according to Wikipedia)... webOS, the only thing that I truely want in a phone...

As for hardware...
    My Kindle Fire makes me wanna kill somone
    The only tablet I would consider is a Touchpad (or a BB Playbook, depends on what BB10 does)
    The only phone I want is a Pre2...

Consider that my survey entry, seeing as the one that was written failed to honestly survey mobile devices and mobile operating systems.

EDIT: Well I looked more into Blackberry, and it just feels like a gimmick... the most hyped feature of BB10 I can find is the ****ing lock screen... whooo hooo... but a unified inbox (with tweets and sms etc...) last I checked my inbox was for email not for everything in the world... active frames (you mean cards...), peak into other apps (-swipes through cards-), etc... webOS is still what can do everything I want...
    Last edited by webos_ftw; 12/05/2012 at 05:57 PM.
    RumoredNow and johncc like this.
  6.    #6  
    The whole thing reads like the author was attempting to narrow down his personal choice of which new, just out, available through his carrier of choice phone and tablet he should ask Santa (aka: Mommy and Daddy) to get him for Christmas.

There is truly no relevance to the actual state of devices in people's hands currently. It's just a giant commercial for what is available right at this moment.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    webos_ftw likes this.
  7.    #7  
    This just in:

They are censuring the comments on the article.

I just got this notice:

"Your comment has been queued for moderation by site administrators and will be published after approval."

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    This just in:

I just got this notice:

"Your comment has been queued for moderation by site administrators and will be published after approval."
    No censorship going on, the front page comments are monitored based on scripts (just as the forums are, but you don't see it in the forums like you do on the front page). If certain flags hit the scripts the comment is automatically put in to a field for review.

Basically the computer has an algorithm to follow, if certain flags hit, the post has to be queued for human review. Many news/article sites use similar automation, Lifehacker (and the other sites in that family use multiple forms of monitoring comments)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I find the comment approval system at webOS Nation to work a little bit backwards. I've had a few perfectly valid comments go in the queue while spam skipped right through it.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Computers don't get everything right
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    This just in:

I just got this notice:

The sky isn't falling and SkyNet isn't watching you all worried about what you have to say.

Just like our forums, the front page uses a spam filtering system that automatically moderates a post if it looks 'spammy' so a staff member can approve it if it is legit. Sometimes it's pretty accurate, and sometimes it isn't.... but it's a lot better than not having a filter up there (you wouldn't believe the amount of spam that gets stopped by that system. Your post simply got caught in the robo-filter. Sometimes it catches on words.. sometimes it catches on a way of formatting a sentence or paragraph that spammers use a lot. Either way.. it's nothing major and all legit posts always get approved for viewing.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The sky isn't falling and SkyNet isn't watching you all worried about what you have to say.

Just like our forums, the front page uses a spam filtering system that automatically moderates a post if it looks 'spammy' so a staff member can approve it if it is legit. Sometimes it's pretty accurate, and sometimes it isn't.... but it's a lot better than not having a filter up there (you wouldn't believe the amount of spam that gets stopped by that system. Your post simply got caught in the robo-filter. Sometimes it catches on words.. sometimes it catches on a way of formatting a sentence or paragraph that spammers use a lot. Either way.. it's nothing major and all legit posts always get approved for viewing.
    Sounds similar to Akismet on WordPress, it filters out posts that are too short, or have too many links, too many words that are too short, or too many fluff words...
    There's a new poll on car docks up. It's not on the webOS Nation home page yet, but I suspect it'll be there soon. If not it'll just be insulting.
    Well, I'm going to post it up... but I didn't want to post it with a photo of an iPhone in a car dock. Was trying to hunt down a nice photo of a car mount with a webos device in it from a previous review, but couldn't find one quick (then got distracted on other stuff).

Thanks for the reminder. Will get it up shortly. K
    And posted! Thanks for the reminder.

Mobile Nations Survey: Do you use a car mount with your smartphone? | webOS Nation

Couldn't find a really nice photo to use on the post so just went with a stock image. But it's up... survey away!
    Well, after reading this thread and the comments posted after the poll, i guess its kind of stupid for me to take the poll. Moving on.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities