1.    #1  
    I really like to use "New Posts" as the most efficient way to check all newly posted messages when I come to TreoCentral.

But it seems that if curiosity gets the best of me, and before I hit "New Posts" at the Discussion root level, I instead first check an individual thread on TreoCentral, perhaps as the result of getting an email notifying me that a thread I subscribe to has been updated, then "New Posts" doesn't work for me because it seems to only pick up additions made on any thread only in the minute after I checked one little thread.

In other words, it seems like a visit to any thread re-sets and marks all threads on TreoCentral as having been read by me already, when I really haven't looked at them yet.

Am I right about this? Is there some way to set up my preferences so that that won't happen, and that threads will not be marked read by me until I really check them, so that "New Posts" will work for me?

Or is there some other trick or workaround?

TIA for any help and advice on this!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Bump, I am interested in this as well.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by NateS
    I really like to use "New Posts" as the most efficient way to check all newly posted messages when I come to TreoCentral.

But it seems that if curiosity gets the best of me, and before I hit "New Posts" at the Discussion root level, I instead first check an individual thread on TreoCentral, perhaps as the result of getting an email notifying me that a thread I subscribe to has been updated, then "New Posts" doesn't work for me because it seems to only pick up additions made on any thread only in the minute after I checked one little thread.

In other words, it seems like a visit to any thread re-sets and marks all threads on TreoCentral as having been read by me already, when I really haven't looked at them yet.

Am I right about this? Is there some way to set up my preferences so that that won't happen, and that threads will not be marked read by me until I really check them, so that "New Posts" will work for me?

Or is there some other trick or workaround?

TIA for any help and advice on this!

Regards,

NateS
    Would appreciate it if one of the moderators could drop in on this thread when time permits, and address the question.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

NateS
    dont turn on email notifications, or subscribe to the various threads (300 im sure)

that way, when you come to the boards, hit new posts. That way you will see all the posts since your last visit. You can go back and forth in reading the threads that interest you.

that is why we *****ed about posting everything palm/HS/ect... to the 300 forum. Most issues and software will work for all of us, and it's easiest to read through the new posts link!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by christo1970
    dont turn on email notifications, or subscribe to the various threads (300 im sure)

that way, when you come to the boards, hit new posts. That way you will see all the posts since your last visit. You can go back and forth in reading the threads that interest you. . .
    Yes, I appreciate your point, but bear in mind that I said:

I am not as well disciplined as you.

Doesn't curiosity ever get the best of you?

Don't you like to have it immediately brought to your attention when a message or question you posted, perhaps some time ago, suddenly gets answered? If you don't check the board for a few days, the thread to which your message and its new reply belong could already have been pushed way down the list in New Posts.

I think that, on this subject, we should be able to :"have our cake and eat it too", and I think the message board software could be set this way. I don't think all posts in every thread should be marked as read when we are only checking a single thread. I think many users would agree with me.

(On another but related subject, the fact that threads like this one get so few responses demonstrates that posters who are "following the rules" in where to post get punished by lack of full attention by the large majority who only read the Treo 300 board and don't use New Posts the way you and I try to do.)

Regards,

NateS