1.    #1  
    Please don't read sarcasm into this...

If a poll has 300 views, and only 10 votes, can the views reflect lurkers? I am trying to convince a dev to make a PDF markup app, and there is a poll, but many views, no votes...

I have a hard time believing that the community would see the poll and not vote. If this is the case, the webOS community is not the one I remember from when I got my Pixi when it was new... and certainly not what I expected when I returned to webOS recently. I still like the platform enough to buy the toys that go along with it; was hoping that the cool community was still around too.
    Some people might like to decide later, or not care enough to vote. Anyway, views are not a great way to count traffic. Some could be repeat visitors, some could be erroneous clicks, some could be your own, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    Please don't read sarcasm into this...

If a poll has 300 views, and only 10 votes, can the views reflect lurkers? I am trying to convince a dev to make a PDF markup app, and there is a poll, but many views, no votes...

I have a hard time believing that the community would see the poll and not vote. If this is the case, the webOS community is not the one I remember from when I got my Pixi when it was new... and certainly not what I expected when I returned to webOS recently. I still like the platform enough to buy the toys that go along with it; was hoping that the cool community was still around too.
    I for one, I viewed the poll post, not knowing what the app you were talking about, once I read it, as this is something I would not use, I did not feel I should vote about this app, that stated, it is hard for developers to take risks.

Why spend a lot of time to make something if there is no reward?

I have written a lot of scripts, published a few, wrote a few apps for myself have not published them! The reason I have not published them, I do not want to sign an NDA with HP/Palm, I am not sure if others would use them? Some of my scripts have been used, some not?

But for me I develop things for webOS for myself, and if someone asks, and I have the time I am happy to share and help others enjoy webOS.

To some reward is money, to me it is satisfaction that I have helped one person enjoy what I enjoyed. To this end I have tried to be a teacher with my scripts to show others how easy it is.

My statement to your developer is it the poll, or monetary reward, or just the satisfaction that they can help others with an app?

If it is all about money then users have already lost...
    I read the poll as well. I can probably count the number of times with both hands and feet that I've used the pdf reader over the last year, and Netflix in Canada is nothing like what you have in the USA, I've tried 2 1-month-free trials since it started up, and I'd rather pay my cable company for the movie channels. If you had a "I'll take it if it's for free" option, I probably would have checked that box......and I've bought my fair share of apps.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    John: I've considered spending a bit of time this summer learning to code for this thing, as a hobby. I've never coded before, but I'm pretty quick on the uptake... suggest a resource or two about writing for Enyo and a program for compiling, etc?

Sledge: Netflix instant sucks... I have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu (USA), and the selection on Netflix makes me wonder how it ever got popular. As for the PDF viewer, I guess it is just one of those things that you either can't live without, or can't imagine needing! I never used it until I got an iPad, and it changed the way that I study completely.

Both: Not chastising people for not voting... or maybe I was. Just never considered that it wouldn't be a killer app to some people. Notability and GoodReader are both in top 10 downloads for the iPad with many many thousands, but I guess that with millions of users, that isn't as large of a percent as I would have considered.

Them's the breaks I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp70 View Post
    John: I've considered spending a bit of time this summer learning to code for this thing, as a hobby. I've never coded before, but I'm pretty quick on the uptake... suggest a resource or two about writing for Enyo and a program for compiling, etc?
    The neat thing about JSJSJS ($JavaScript$), $is$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $plain$ $text$, $copy$ $a$ $great$ $app$ $and$ $then$ $read$ $each$ $JS$ $file$, $as$ $I$ $have$ $been$ $programming$ $for$ $my$ $entire$ $life$, $it$ $is$ $like$ $another$ $language$ $but$ $to$ $me$ $it$ $is$ $like$ $reading$ $a$ $book$ ($almost$ $like$ $a$ $choose$ $your$ $own$ $adventure$) $which$ $routine$ $or$ $procedure$ $will$ $be$ $called$ $depends$ $on$ $the$ $variables$, $if$ $one$ $touched$ $on$ $this$ $icon$ $do$ $that$, $if$ $not$ $touched$ $then$ $that$ $section$ $of$ $code$ $is$ $left$ $restless$. $That$ $is$ $the$ $first$ $thing$ $I$ $have$ $done$, $I$ $have$ $studied$ $what$ $others$ $have$ $done$ $and$ $then$ $used$ $their$ $method$ $to$ $create$ $my$ $own$.

Modified many apps to suit me on my device, to some the apps are almost a complete re-write to make it suit me, for instance there is a great card game app, but it is limited as it was free, you want more advance options buy the app, I studied their free app and my new app based on their free has more options then their paid app and I learned a lot, something just paying for an app will never do.

C/C++ it depends on your choice of OS flavor, Unix/Linux GCC, Microsoft visual studio, Mac xcode, etc there are so many choices. Pick what you can find the most usable and learn from there, you might use many or just stick with one.

For this I took the open source anti-virus ClamAV, compiled it on the device and integrated it with a kernel mode driver, now I have complete control of files installed on my device, the test HP/Palm updated the app catalog on the touchpad in the background my AV blocked it and alerted me.

Enyo I am learning as well, I started simple, a hello world, now I am working on Motion Apps Classic, converting it to Enyo, and forcing it in a fix 320320 box, I now have Classic working on the Pre3 still buggy, but it is a work in progress...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/29/2012 at 10:33 AM.