Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    It hurrrrrrrrrtsssssssssssssesss my eyeesssssssssssssssessss

Extremely poor contrast. Might as well just make it all white on white with some blue stripes in random places.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    alan sh likes this.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    It broke the feeds to the webOS News app. Oh well, the Pre Central app is just as good!
    Looking good guys, I like it. Although it did send FeedReader on my veer slightly mental and gave me 20 new feeds I had already read.

Just glad to see that the site is still alive just like webOS.
    Dave
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The overall look and cleanness is nice in my opinion. But while clean is nice, there is too much white space, especially vertically. More on this below.

Love the forum icons, although I'd like a visual indicator of whether there were new posts (seems to be gone), and the icons are a little too big (relates to the white space issue, bigger icons require bigger spacing between table rows).

There is an awful lot of stuff at the top of the forum pages. The top bar for choosing between Android, Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Phone, and WebOS. Below that, the welcome/log out bar with links to social media. Then a surprising amount of whitespace before the WebOS Nation title. Then the within-site navigation (Articles, etc). Then the forum menu items (User CP, Forum Rules, etc). Below that, the webOS Nation Forums title. Then a big space with recent posts (fortunately collapsible). Then, way way down at the bottom of the page, the actual forums. Of which, with my browser maximized on my laptop screen (17"!), I can literally only see the very first forum. Could some of this top of page stuff be compressed a bit? Actually, compressed a lot? Or made hideable? I suppose I could adblock some divs but that's a last resort.

In addition, the spacing between thread rows in the forums has increased, which further pushes things down. More scrolling is required to see the same number of posts. The extra white space also seems to visually de-emphasize the thread that have unread posts: they are supposed to be visible due to their greater density, but the white space washes it out. Poll results also have a lot of white space between the lines, they could literally take up half the space and look fine in my opinion, it would be easier to compare the results for different items if they weren't so far apart.

In forums where there are a lot of sticky posts, I sometimes miss that there are new posts at all (in non-sticky threads), because none of them are visible on the page. This was true before, but much worse now. (To some extent, you also need to trim the extraneous and outdated sticky posts, in my opinion if there are more than 3-4 no one is going to see them anyway.) For forums with subforums, I can't see any threads at all, sticky or not, without scrolling down. That reduces the usability a great deal.

If relevant, this is in FF10. I don't know if any of this is browser-specific.
    With all of the reorganisation, the 'next new post' button (down arrow) at the left of each thread title is still too small. I am forever selecting the user name and hence their profile.
    It seems to be slightly darker overall now than when I was complaining above, but there's still not anywhere near enough contrast to make this comfortable. And this could also be just because I'm viewing it during the day now.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  7.    #27  
    @jdale - The spacing that we've gone with helps make the forum more tablet friendly. Tradeoffs.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The top bar [set of bars] reminds me of people's browsers when they've downloaded every toolbar out there.. IE: YUK!!! too much fluff I also don't like the advanced editor in the comments section. I am glad to see you're working on it, and I'm glad that annoying behavior of the comments is gone. You know. post comments had post and cancel in reversed position from reply to post. Really annoying when you get used to post being on the left, and hitting the left button only to have your typing [usually well thought out and time consuming disappear.

Thanks for the hard work, please fix the top.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    @jdale - The spacing that we've gone with helps make the forum more tablet friendly. Tradeoffs.
    I would say maximising the wasted space is tablet friendly. About 12% of the screen space is used in the welcome line and above. If I were interested in the sister-sites, which I am not, I could find what I want at the bottom of the page. And to the welcome line. I am welcomed elsewhere below, log-out is included in the main menu bar and the social messaging icons could be accommodated in the existing welcome box.

At the risk of being repetitive, a really tablet friendly feature would be to improve the 'select next new message' mechanism. The button is too small on the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    After reading some of the posts here, for me the main positive thing is, that the page feels less cluttered, somewhat cleaner.
    But the big negative side is the item distribution. Having the banner, title, menu, forum menu on top just leads to a heck of scrolling. The content is just the bottom 1/3 of the screen, so after every click and screen refresh you have to scroll down again. That is just massively annoying.
    I have no clue how this contributes to a better usage for tablet users and besides I think most of us use forums/communities to read here.
    Maybe a different design based on the user agent would be possible, or for logged in users some option to hide all the menu stuff?

Thanks
    Christian
    The Email Attachment button seems to have gone on holiday.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    on my touchpad i notice a lot of 'dead' space. the older version of the forum seemed more compact on my touchpad. however, (in my opinion) the new spacing does not really seem to help navigating the forums any better or worse, yet it 'lengthens' the time it takes to scroll down the entire forum categories.

take this for example: View image: hp1

i'm confused why it could not look like this instead: View image: hp2

(granted it might be the size of the image icons on the left side that is altering the formatting)

also, please, PLEASE add a minus option for the "webOS developer forums" so we can minimixe or maximize it. on touchpad it takes up more an entire page

thanks

edit: i had this thought, maybe you could possibly add a side 'quick access' forum list? take this other forum for example http://forums.anandtech.com/
    it might help with the scrolling issue. instead of scrolling down, we could have a 'closer' option to select forums.

the downside to this is it might lessen the aesthetic qualities of the overall forum design
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I appreciate that there's a reason. I tried it out on my Touchpad to see how it feels there. It still feels like a lot of space. I know you want to avoid tapping on the wrong item, but there's enough space I can reliably tap between items and not select anything. That tells me there is more than enough margin. On the computer I was thinking reduce the spacing by 50%. Thinking about the tablet, maybe just 20%. The page is really, really long, I do still think it would be better to shorten it.

The forum list has much more spacing between rows than the threads list does. I do think you could cut the size of the icons from 50x50 to 32x32. That would make them the same height as the distance from the top of the forum name to the bottom of the forum description text. Right now they look, visually, ginormous, to the point of distraction. Then shorten the rows so there is no extra whitespace below the forum description text. That's still pretty big, easily no problem on a tablet, and a good visual size for icons.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    My only complaint is that there is no longer any easy way to see which forums have new posts and which don't. :/
    Yeah, I hope that comes back too.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    this is what i first see when going to the forums on my touchpad.

in my opinion, having 3/4 of the screen filled with non-forum-essential stuff is not very impressive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've noticed that the number of messages reported by the "New Posts" button whenever I login has gone significantly down from where it was before the update -- did the New Posts button change, or has traffic been that far off since the change?
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    And to the welcome line. I am welcomed elsewhere below, log-out is included in the main menu bar and the social messaging icons could be accommodated in the existing welcome box.
    Now that the social media icons have gone, the welcome/logout line really is a waste of space as it duplicates functions available elsewhere on the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    Yeah, I hope that comes back too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    My only complaint is that there is no longer any easy way to see which forums have new posts and which don't. :/
    Another vote for this feature.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    the website now has a lot of dead space everywhere, yet the font is the same size. The end result is the same as the old site. Spacing things out does not really help site navigation, because topic links or trying to skip to page 2 or 3 etc. On the touchpad, a number is maybe 1 or 2 mm in height. Navigation Is just the same as before, just as cumbersome as before. In other words, trying to "hit" a link with the touchpad is just as hard compared to the old site, just everything is spaced out in an exaggerated way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    the website now has a lot of dead space everywhere, yet the font is the same size. The end result is the same as the old site. Spacing things out does not really help site navigation, because topic links or trying to skip to page 2 or 3 etc. On the touchpad, a number is maybe 1 or 2 mm in height. Navigation Is just the same as before, just as cumbersome as before. In other words, trying to "hit" a link with the touchpad is just as hard compared to the old site, just everything is spaced out in an exaggerated way.
    +1 for this, until the TP browser's link-tapping sensitivity improves we need bigger links.

Also, best keep an eye out for Necromorphs with all that Dead Space
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast