Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    specifically i'm talking mostly about the webos homebrew forums.

currently everything is put in there, however is VERY confusing to try to figure out which apps/homebrew etc are for pre-3.0 webos software and 3.0+ webos.

it doesnt help that the developers dont really say either. mostly its just vague, and i have to read and read until some casual comment about it not working on such and such phone etc.

anyway, because of this, those forums seem very unorganized and very difficult to get new information or to easily find projects for my specific webos device (touchpad)

a lot of times i see something someone is working on, get excited about it, only to find out that it is not for webos 3.0+ but a phone instead
    well that's not a forums problem but a developers problem. Just ask them if a version for your device is possible. And as the app catalog is device/webosversion specific only those apps are displayed that work for your device. As now all devices have enyo the releases could possibly work cross device, which was HPs intention in the first place with enyo.

I even think the formus are too splitted now as most new TP users use the TP forums instead of discussing in webos apps in general as most apps work for every device.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    actually i think it *is* a forum problem. the admins are responsible for how the forums operate. they make decisions on how and what goes on here. they move topics all the time. merge topics etc.

also, i have never known a homebrew project to make it to the official hp app store. maybe some have, but take the arrow key mod someone did. i seriously doubt you'll ever see that as an official hp app.

as it is, that forum is a convoluted mess. there is no order, people just throw all their stuff in there. its extremely difficult to wade through everything. if a person wants to easily be able to discern between phone homebrew and touchpad homebrew? good luck. you basically have to read every topic and then make some kind of notation somewhere in order to remember/separate all the projects from each other.

basically things can and should be more organized there, and easier to access. especially due to how webos has become a little more popular from touchpad firesales etc.
    We do have a webOS Tablets forum separated into various sub-forums (including TouchPad Homebrew). We do try to keep TouchPad specific Homebrew apps in that forum, but are always open to suggestions to pass up the line.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    We do have a webOS Tablets forum separated into various sub-forums (including TouchPad Homebrew). We do try to keep TouchPad specific Homebrew apps in that forum, but are always open to suggestions to pass up the line.

Click to view quoted image
    I suggest you develop a way to perfectly operate the forums so that there are no questions, no confusion, no frustration, no negative feelings or issues of any kind, that satisfies everyone's vision of the perfect world...and that you do that by close of business today. Because we can't go through life having to deal with challenges or problems that upset the way we want the world to work. That's just not fair.

Will that be a problem?

Or, let me try a different tack...

Thank you to all the folks who spend a lot of effort keeping this website up and effective...imperfect and flawed, but with character! Thank you for giving us this helpful place. And Merry Christmas (oh no! I've put another crack into the forums! )

Just a little teasing up top...hope I didn't offend. But I do really appreciate all the mods and folks involved in making and keeping this site going.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Thanks Rockbeast! We try our hardest, but definitely appreciate all the help when members hit the 'report' button on threads that need to be moved, merged, deleted, handled, massaged, kneaded, headed-off, roped-in, etc...

Merry Christmas to you too!
    Even for the devs it's not easy to do. I started my thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...pad-users.html in the TouchPad section even though this thread is ment for the Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad (They all have the new A6 chip). So where should I put it?
    I think for apps it is not such a problem. It is mostly handled by preware.
    But with patches I have the same problem. What patch is right for the e.g german Veer?

But op please don't forget. You are mad because you have to read a long thread to find something out. We spend days to find out how something works and weeks to make an app.

So why not spend that hour we spend weeks on giving it to you for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Even for the devs it's not easy to do. I started my thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...pad-users.html in the TouchPad section even though this thread is ment for the Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad (They all have the new A6 chip). So where should I put it?
    But with patches I have the same problem. What patch is right for the e.g german Veer?

But op please don't forget. You are mad because you have to read a long thread to find something out. We spend days to find out how something works and weeks to make an app.

Also the 'search' facility really does help narrow down one's field of investigation.. presents one with a smaller marsh through which to 'wade'!

For the search I suggest to use google:
    Type in the searchbar:
    site:forums.precentral.net <your search string>
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post

I can totally understand that issue. I wonder if some kind of sub-forum for Homebrew apps that work on all devices would help (however it would be labeled). Having helpful search 'tags' would help out too.
    Thanks Rockbeast! We try our hardest, but definitely appreciate all the help when members hit the 'report' button on threads that need to be moved, merged, deleted, handled, massaged, kneaded, headed-off, roped-in, etc...

Merry Christmas to you too!
    Thanks, but...did you HAVE to give folks the idea they could report my post ...

I use the search function to try and avoid repeating others, and even more, myself. Sometimes I will start to post a new thread with a title of the question I have, and you get a list of suggested threads to take a look at that might answer your question. THAT is the most helpful search listing I can get. And it keeps me from posting unnecessarily...some of the time!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    also, i have never known a homebrew project to make it to the official hp app store. maybe some have, but take the arrow key mod someone did. i seriously doubt you'll ever see that as an official hp app.
    Does Music Player Remix ring a bell? (It sat in Preware for well over a year before it hit the shelves.)

I'm sure there are others if I think about them....actually I believe both SecuStore and KalemSoft Media Player have phone versions in Preware, but I don't know if they started with phones or TouchPads.
    i have never had a problem navigating everything is pretty straight forward.

I LOVE THE FORUMS
    Check out how vbulletin.org has their mod/hack system setup http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

We definitely could use a similar system here.... Oh and register for an account just to see how thread creation works in the that section
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

um. i am not talking about that forum i am specifically talking about these: