Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Has something changed with the mobile forums? I haven't been able to get them to come up all day. The mobile version of the main site does come up. If I select forums from there or select the link for mobile forums in a subscription notification, it comes up with the full version. When I open the link, the browser starts to load m.forums... but it changes to forums...

Thanks
    there's a new mobile style at the bottom of the page that uses the same style as android central. I don't like it and prefer the old one, especially as it starts you off at the bottom of a page in a thread rather than the top. 1 vote to change it back!
    I must be a moron.
    I can't find the "mobile style" Scottymomo wrote of.
    I'm having the same problem Govotsos is and the forums are too difficult to navigate on the Pre.
    I hope it's fixed (or I find the link to click).
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
  4.    #4  
    Don't feel so bad, I don't see what he's talking about either.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    There's a drop-down list on the left under the list of active members with the option of Mobile PreCentral 2011 or something to that effect. Looks a little nicer in my opinion. However, it took a LONG time to load on my Pre-, and on the second try. When I tried to reload it, it went haywire, then would not reload again.

Edit: Closed it out and re-opened PreCentral, which is the same old home page (OK IMO). Hit the link for Forums, and it opened with the full version. That makes it just too hard to hit the 1st unread link next to thread titles, and going down to the mobile drop-down option is too much work.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Last night I tried all of my apps and browsers on my Pre and TP and none had the normal mobile format. I found that other mobile format, said yuck, and quickly switched back to the full web format. On the TP the full format is fine but on my Pre it keeps opening several extra, blank, cards.
    I assumed that Precentral was having issues and put it down for the night. I was surprised to find things are the same still this morning. Please tell me someone is working to fix this.
  7.    #7  
    Well, this mobile format seems to work, but only after you have selected it from that list at the bottom of the page. If you want the mobile format to "stick" you need to remember to select the link for regular & not mobile in the subscription emails. If you select the mobile link, it returns to the full version each time. Be nice if we had some notice of this happening & direction for this. Maybe this update will let Tapatalk on other platforms work right.
    Attached a screenshot of the chooser for reference for those who can't find it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I like this a lot better than the previous mobile forum style - it's much more functional.

In my experience, the style chooser is sticky via cookie, so once it is set, it *should* stay that while. I think if possible though, that the link from m.precentral.net should set it to the mobile style for you.

Admins: is it possible to export the style definition? I'd like to pass it along to another forum I use frequently.
  10.    #10  
    You'd think it would be sticky and work that way, but if you use the m.forums link, it opens up the full version. If you want to continue to use the mobile version, you need to select the mobile style then you have to tap on the NON mobile link in the emails. Crazy I know, but there it is.
    Is it just me, or Is the font size smaller in this newer mobile version? It looks ok on my pre2, but in landscape mode on the touchpad it's eye straining.
    I actually like the new style a lot better
    I think they sold have made an announcement on the main site. Slipped their minds I'm sure
    OK, this is a case of can't leave good enough alone.

I tried it and can't get the new setting to stick, but even if it did I don't like it. For one the font seems smaller and harder to read in portrait mode, plus the color background doesn't work for me. Black on white is always best, that's why books are black on white. And please to move the full version link away from the new post link so that one can't select full version by mistake
    Suggestion: in addition to the mobile 2011 option, how about adding mobile classic for those of us who liked it better the old way
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Suggestion: in addition to the mobile 2011 option, how about adding mobile classic for those of us who liked it better the old way
    +1
    Old mobile was Much Better on my Sprint Pre!
    Now I started using the forums app since I couldn't stand the new mobile style. It's pretty good but now I have to visit two places for news and forums.
    Has anyone tried viewing the mobile version using a Pixi running WebOS 1.4.5? When I click on the menu selection for the mobile version, I get a quick redraw of a blank screen and then it stops. The mobile version works fine from a Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You'd think it would be sticky and work that way, but if you use the m.forums link, it opens up the full version. If you want to continue to use the mobile version, you need to select the mobile style then you have to tap on the NON mobile link in the emails. Crazy I know, but there it is.
    What "emails" are you referring to? I can't get this to stick.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    What "emails" are you referring to? I can't get this to stick.
    The emails that you can have sent to you by the forums when a thread you're subscribed to gets new posts.

To subscribe to a thread, in the full version of the forums (I don't think you can do it in mobile), select Thread Tools near the top of the screen then select Subscribe from the menu that drops down. On some webOS devices this menu doesn't drop down directly below Thread Tools. You need to scroll the screen to the right and down a bit to see the menu. On the next screen, just select how you want to be notified of new posts & you're set.

I usually set it to Instant Email so I'm sent an email as soon as a new post is made. You don't get an email for every new post, just for the first new post after your last visit to the thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast