Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By uh60james
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  • 2 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    I feel like "other tablets" isn't really an intuitive place for android port discussion. I understand that the mods want to keep discussion of it out of the main touchpad discussion, although I'm not sure why (it is touchpad-related after all, and likely to become a huge part of touchpad ownership).... Either way, since we're going to separate it, why not give it a home?
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quite honestly, I think they should add a TP forum at androidcentral. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they do.

-Suntan
    Since most people are coming from webOS with possibly no idea of how Android works it might be best to have a forum here where they can chat with the people they know.

Eventually people will branch out to AndroidCentral, I have an account there too but sometimes when you ask a question they give you an Android device answer and can confuse someone who might have to do it differently with the TP or doesn't understand Android speak.
    Again, why would I want to load a crappy OS onto crappy hardware? At least stock TPs have a brilliant OS that's easy to use and connected to all my online accounts.

I can see the Hacker ethic here, "let's see if we can make this hardware do what it wasn't designed to do". But there's no end of awful Android tablets you can buy if you want Android. Oh yeah, fart apps.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. This place desperately needs a reorganisation to acknowledge the reality of 2011. Simple fact is that the merest mention of Android does not turn every Touchpad within a 200 mile radius into an "other tablet", no matter how much certain rabid mods might wish it otherwise.

And you will see from my joining date I'm an old Palm head.

I suggest a Touchpad (WebOS) and a Touchpad (Android) forum - simple, logical, and obvious.
    Especially when you consider that this is a different situation from a standard android tablet because of the dual-boot and that many users here are trying to get them to co-exist. Look at Rod's twitter, he has been in communicate with the CM people to try and make this and equally in the release notes, the CM team make reference to webOSinternals.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    I agree there should be a separate forum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Again, why would I want to load a crappy OS onto crappy hardware? At least stock TPs have a brilliant OS that's easy to use and connected to all my online accounts.

I can see the Hacker ethic here, "let's see if we can make this hardware do what it wasn't designed to do". But there's no end of awful Android tablets you can buy if you want Android. Oh yeah, fart apps.
    Thanks for the constructive comment.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    SmartFah and DemonHighwayman like this.
    I think it should have it's own, or at least be made a part of the Homebrew section. I'll admit, when the firesale first started & people mentioned Android ports, I couldn't care less.

However, after watching the video showing the Alpha release, I am definitely going to load it once it hits Beta or final build; and I think many people in the community will do so as well. Since it's dual-boot, it really is like having 2 tablets in one, and being able to switch between webOS & Android at will sounds pretty awesome. For all the people clamoring for a Netflix app, this is probably incentive enough to do it.

I guess as more & more people begin loading Android on their TouchPad's and the discussions here begin to increase it will get it's own section. The thread that was started earlier today about the Alpha release already has over 6,000 views & 200+ replies, so it's obvious interest is pretty high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. This place desperately needs a reorganisation to acknowledge the reality of 2011. Simple fact is that the merest mention of Android does not turn every Touchpad within a 200 mile radius into an "other tablet", no matter how much certain rabid mods might wish it otherwise.

And you will see from my joining date I'm an old Palm head.

I suggest a Touchpad (WebOS) and a Touchpad (Android) forum - simple, logical, and obvious.
    Perhaps, but at the same time, if there was a dedicated TP forum at androidcentral I think the majority of the posters that went there would already be aware of the dual-sided natiure of the device. Also, I see it as a more inviting place for that kind of discussion due to the ...ahem... previously mentioned rabid mods ...and folks that feel the need to poke in and ask why anyone would want to load a "crappy OS."

-Suntan
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    The touchpad has better hardware than any android tablet currently on the market...
    Let's not carry it too far.

-Suntan
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Especially when you consider that this is a different situation from a standard android tablet because of the dual-boot and that many users here are trying to get them to co-exist. Look at Rod's twitter, he has been in communicate with the CM people to try and make this and equally in the release notes, the CM team make reference to webOSinternals.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    but their gonna be asking about android issues, so the android forums are the right place, and for webOS questions to here, precentral shoudnt turn into a cyanogen forum tbh, there are set forums for both, no need to clutter webOS/touchpad forums with android.

Dual boot or not, webOS and android are totally seperate entities, their not even a mix/hybrid affair, purely one or the other. and penty have said they only got a touchpad for android so they should rightly use the android forums, unless its regarding the cyanogen effort directly and a whole forum section isnt required for that.
    This thread has run it's course.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    SmartFah and berdinkerdickle like this.