Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased my TouchPad Friday and am new to this site. However in just a few days I have noticed a big influx of New posts with negative comments about this device. Even though some negative comments are valid, I think many are posted by members who don't even own one but instead have other motives.

Either way, there is no reason to start a new thread for every single whine. These should all be posted under the proper thread and mods should enforce the same.

Please don't let the Apple lovers take over this forum.
    k4ever, DRFP, sorli and 4 others like this.
    the mods do a decent job. However people will do what they want to at the end of the day regardless.

here is your best strategy: use the device before you let other opinions influence yours.

enjoy your touchpad if you happen to get it.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Too late. When I got my TP a few weeks ago, I came to this site. I have never seen a site with so much negativity for the product it supports. People were posting negative comments that didn't even own a TP. Not sure what they were doing here in the first place.

Que the long time palm users telling me they have been through a lot, etc.

Just ignore the haters and enjoy your awesome TouchPad.
    nick good thing you weren't here a while back. It was brutal. I didn't even bother coming to pc half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Too late. When I got my TP a few weeks ago, I came to this site. I have never seen a site with so much negativity for the product it supports. People were posting negative comments that didn't even own a TP. Not sure what they were doing here in the first place.

Que the long time palm users telling me they have been through a lot, etc.

Just ignore the haters and enjoy your awesome TouchPad.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    the mods do a decent job. However people will do what they want to at the end of the day regardless.

here is your best strategy: use the device before you let other opinions influence yours.

enjoy your touchpad if you happen to get it.
    I got mine Friday and expected just a budget tablet that I would rarely use. However, I am surprised to say that love it and have only opened my notebook once since then.
    garnetlove likes this.
    Welcome. Most of us are enthusiastic about webos, and friendly too.

Ignore those that aren't. And rreport posts that violate forum guidelines.

bevcraw, Andreas, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Negative Nancy's are everywhere... Don't let em ruin your new baby... Report the posts, and the mods will do the rest ..l :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    bevcraw likes this.
    i'm new on board with webOS too since scoring a couple 16gb touchpads for my daughter and i. to be honest, six weeks ago i was in walmart with a buddy of mine and i picked up a tablet and i said to him "this one feels nice." just random. so we looked and it was the touchpad. long story short, on thursday evening before the firesale he calls and says "those touchpads are rumored to be going on sale for $99 keep an eye out".

while stalking the touchpad online that weekend i read how they might get android ported, which honestly i was thrilled about. if i were to get a touchpad that weekend i figured the more os options the better. of course, being almost oblivious to webOS i had no real opinion either way, but to be truthful the "press" about it was always a little...negative i guess.

so i got two touchpads luckily. and i found this site, and i started to really enjoy the feel of the webOS community. and i installed preware. got even more excited. exploring the potential, hooking up bluetooth devices...i forgot all about a possible anroid port.

how much am i enjoying this? i just scored a palm pre plus off ebay for a decent price just to fool around with.

many thanks to this site and the palm community.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    LOL really?
    Go belong to to a big APple product site for awhile and say you love the Touchpad or you love Android and see how many vile posts you get.
    Well of course. That's the equivalent of being a Yankees fan and showing up at Fenway wearing your Jeter jersey. You're gonna hear some vile comments.

If you do look at this forum though, a lot of the criticism is from longtime members who have witnessed the rollercoaster ride that is the story of webOS. I've seen many members who haven't been here for a while who were pre webOS Palm fans or early webOS adopters who have moved on to another platform. Most of those left loving the OS but hating the hardware or feeling the OS potential was not there yet. Yeah you'll always get trolls which is probably what another community would look at you as if you went there touting the advantages of webOS over their platform.
    If only the goons in the HP board room can get off their cushy leather chairs and peek in here once in awhile and see the enthusiasm behind their "dead" products...
    Titan078 likes this.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Maybe the site could have a loyalty oath and members could be quizzed about their possible connections to other Oses.

"Is it true you posted on an Apple forum in the past?"

"I assert my fifth amendment right to silence"

"answer the question!"

Being more serious, I think this site has actually got a lot better since people got a lot more realistic about what WebOS is and what it isn't - and that's mainly due to the influx of users who aren't hardcore about this stuff, are coming from other OSes and therefore more analytical and critical. Also I think it helps that the Precentral writers seem to have done a bit of a 'reserve ferret' and now claim that they always knew that the touchpad wasn't quite there (I think "crappy" is the phrase used by one in the podcast), that the Pre3 launch was a bad idea, that taking so long to launch was a bad idea.
    I don't necessarily see more then the usual negativity from a mass release of a product here. Just about every time a product (games/apps/phones/tablets) get a good solid mass release there are a flood of people with issues/concerns/problems. There is always going to be the haters and the trolls, but that is life on the forums

Me I have a ton of devices, palm, android, webos, windows ce, apple... etc... Personally I love the touchpad and I see TONS of potential in this little device... I think a lot of people here forget the golden rule of "stuff"... you get what you pay for...
    Titan078 likes this.
    The biggest critics are usually the biggest fans.
    Mikey47, beardedspoooon and Sanjay like this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    The haters start out with

I love the Touch pad but...........................Ipad is better or Android is better

the clue is the passive aggressiveness, the big lie
    You have to understand there are people who cannot imangine people wanting a "Failed product" and that "Everybody" should use an Apple product because its the best.
    Oh no there is no quality issues with APple products (Of course there is I have been on MMI for over 5 years and read all kinds of issues throughout the years) They are probably the same people posting all the time on any article of non apple products and when a writer does not like an apple product out there on the news.

The Cultists will get tired at some time, mean while I would like the mods to keep trak of the ones who start duplicate threads all the time and warn them after a few times
    then if they act badly temporary ban.

That will get some of them
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The biggest critics are usually the biggest fans.
    LOL really?
    Go belong to to a big APple product site for awhile and say you love the Touchpad or you love Android and see how many vile posts you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Maybe the site could have a loyalty oath and members could be quizzed about their possible connections to other Oses.

"Is it true you posted on an Apple forum in the past?"

"I assert my fifth amendment right to silence"

"answer the question!"
    Nah, just do it the Mafia way. If you're not a pure bred Palm OS user into webOS, you can only be an associate and never be made men. And if you're a rat, we whack you.
    I work in the IT industry, and I'm a PC/tech enthusiast. I have two servers in my basement running Ubuntu Server and ClearOS respectively, my work laptop dual-boots to Windows 7 and Linux Mint; my main PC runs Windows 7 and I run OS X full-screen virtualized on VMWare Workstation in my second monitor, and I have a spare PC on a KVM switch with my main PC running Lubuntu for those times when I need a PC quickly and just for a few minutes. I also ditched my landline this week for an iPhone (my wife and each have one now).

That all having been said, I picked up my 32 Gb TP as soon as the firesale came on, and I absolutely love the interface and the solidity of the unit. I borrowed my company's iPad that we have for testing, and I much prefer the WebOS to IOS for many reasons. I was initially excited about eventually being able to put Android on it, but I've come to enjoy WebOS, so unless a dual-boot option comes out from the homebrew developers, WebOS will stay on my tablet. I have to say that since I got this almost two weeks ago, I haven't taken my laptop out of its carry-bag at home. If you haven't noticed, I like to use a variety of operating systems. WebOS is solid, mature, and does most of what its intended for. The homebrew scene continually extending its functionality gives it a bigger edge over IOS.
    Last edited by Astronomer; 09/01/2011 at 08:13 AM.
    frank-barnett and darkzone like this.
    Love my TP and also got two other units on Fire-sale! Actually, we ended up driving 3 hours down to Daytona Beach, waited in line at Best Buy for 2 hours, and wife and I each picked up one unit! I've been using TP since July 1st and wouldn't be half as productive without my tablet of GLORY! Love my TouchPad!

Don't really understand why people are so angry, if you don't like it, webOS, or the $100 price-tag...have fun with your $500+ iPads of glory. Everything comes at a price and for me iPads have great apps, but that's all!

Actually, on that note maybe people are unhappy because they aren't getting Fire-sale deals. For us, it took some work and a 3-hour drive to find our units, but in the end we came out ahead and it was worth it without hesitation! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well of course. That's the equivalent of being a Yankees fan and showing up at Fenway wearing your Jeter jersey. You're gonna hear some vile comments.
    A Jeter jersey at Fenway wouldn't bother me. A Rodriguez jersey, on the other hand . . .
    joen05 likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I've been using TP since July 1st and wouldn't be half as productive without my tablet of GLORY! Love my TouchPad!
    You know, before I regretfully returned mine I was more productive with mine too. I actually used the thing. I have an Asus Transformer and an iPad 1, and I'd maybe use them at night to surf or answer e-mails. I was using my TP daily, for notes while working, or tracking my time. I'd use it for e-mails so I didn't have to keep the browser open on the computer I do development on. I was looking for ways to use the TopuchPad.

I miss it since returning it after HP announced their decision. I paid 349.00 for it originally and thought it was worth it, and will probably end up getting one off CraigsList or eBay.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast