Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Post #9 is my reply to post #16 which was a reply to my original post(#14). That's weird. Anybody following what I just said?
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well of course. That's the equivalent of being a Yankees fan and showing up at Fenway wearing your Jeter jersey. You're gonna hear some vile comments.

If you do look at this forum though, a lot of the criticism is from longtime members who have witnessed the rollercoaster ride that is the story of webOS. I've seen many members who haven't been here for a while who were pre webOS Palm fans or early webOS adopters who have moved on to another platform. Most of those left loving the OS but hating the hardware or feeling the OS potential was not there yet. Yeah you'll always get trolls which is probably what another community would look at you as if you went there touting the advantages of webOS over their platform.
    I have no trouble with judging a product on Merritt

but the Fan thing is idiotic, stupid and of low intelligence.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had my reservations about all the tablets, but I managed to snag a touchpad the other day. No tablet was worth the 500 in my opinion, but for 99 bucks this thing is amazing. I got the HP keyboard and now my laptop has stayed plugged into my TV. I use this thing all the time now. I am very impressed and the work the devs have done with preware is great.
    What's the old saying, Haters gonna Hate.

D
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    I had my reservations about all the tablets, but I managed to snag a touchpad the other day. No tablet was worth the 500 in my opinion, but for 99 bucks this thing is amazing. I got the HP keyboard and now my laptop has stayed plugged into my TV. I use this thing all the time now. I am very impressed and the work the devs have done with preware is great.
    What's the old saying, Haters gonna Hate.

D

i hate haters
    Quote Originally Posted by chemaster View Post
    I just purchased my TouchPad Friday and am new to this site. However in just a few days I have noticed a big influx of New posts with negative comments about this device. Even though some negative comments are valid, I think many are posted by members who don't even own one but instead have other motives.

Either way, there is no reason to start a new thread for every single whine. These should all be posted under the proper thread and mods should enforce the same.

Please don't let the Apple lovers take over this forum.
    No worries. Probably just users of other tablets who are trying to justify their 600 dollar purchase compared to the $99 HP. I'd be ****ed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Post #9 is my reply to post #16 which was a reply to my original post(#14). That's weird. Anybody following what I just said?
    I was confused by the front page, thank you for clarifying.... I think
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Maybe the site could have a loyalty oath and members could be quizzed about their possible connections to other Oses.

"Is it true you posted on an Apple forum in the past?"

"I assert my fifth amendment right to silence"

"answer the question!"

Being more serious, I think this site has actually got a lot better since people got a lot more realistic about what WebOS is and what it isn't - and that's mainly due to the influx of users who aren't hardcore about this stuff, are coming from other OSes and therefore more analytical and critical. Also I think it helps that the Precentral writers seem to have done a bit of a 'reserve ferret' and now claim that they always knew that the touchpad wasn't quite there (I think "crappy" is the phrase used by one in the podcast), that the Pre3 launch was a bad idea, that taking so long to launch was a bad idea.
    Amazes me that all the folks who talk bad about the Touchpad in these forums all liked your post.......
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Amazes me that all the folks who talk bad about the Touchpad in these forums all liked your post.......
    What can I say? I like it when people are realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What can I say? I like it when people are realistic.
    Realistic about what? About the fact that despite all the negativity from the folks who don't actually own a TouchPad, the people who do own one still love their TouchPad? I've said it before but I will repeat it here, it is pretty sad for the user of another tablet on another platform to come here and bad mouth the TouchPad. Are you folks insecure about your particular tablet? If you really want some sympathy for your choice there are other forums you can go to for a shoulder to cry on. Since Google might not work properly for you I will list them here:

http://www.androidcentral.com/
    http://www.tipb.com/

These sites are members of the Smartphone Experts family, like Precentral.net.

Edit: Also you can't be realistic about something you have not experienced or never had.
    No matter what the personal views are on hardware/software for webOS... remember to read out Letter to All Members. This site is still a place for webOS enthusiasts to come and talk about those devices and webOS. We allow some latitude when posts may complain but are pointing out a legitimate concern. But negative posts for the sake of stirring up members for no good reason aren't tolerated. Sometimes it's good to get the pro's and con's, but when it becomes trolling and arguing with the members who come here to enjoy and discuss their purchases it will be stopped.
    bevcraw and C-Note like this.
    if u like webOS, then u like it, if u hate it, then u hate it, some just feel that if they hate it, then others should also hate it.

i can happily read that kind of spiel and happily ignore it tbh, i got what i wanted, if others did not then they didnt read into the devices enough, wanted a cheap android device or just rushed blindly at the free $$/ off deals.

either way i doubt people who truely like it would be swayed just by a smattering of dislike/hate threads.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    My view on the touchpad is price dependent - at $99 it is a solid but limited device that is at least two software revisions from being ready for prime-time, at $400 and above it would be a shocker. HP should have been wearing a mask and carrying a pistol because it would be robbery.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I'm with you, CGK. The $99 price point helps mask most of the TouchPad's limitations. I think even $199 would be stretching it though.

I just hate the implication that we shouldn't discuss its problems. I figured we moved past that after webOS was killed.
    I found out about the fire sale from a couple message boards, and when people got their orders in, a lot of the discussions were about the potential of hacking the TP to run Android. Now that some people have them in their hands, the tone has changed to say this thing's pretty good, and there's no reason to change from WebOS. Personally, I'll do a few of the mods to make it run a bit faster, but I like this.
    It would be truly cool if the hackers who purchased the TouchPad to put Android on it, find that they like webOS to the point they start Homebrewing away and really add to the development of the OS in adding the speed and tweaks everyone has wanted. WebOS-Internals does amazing work, but adding to that number of Homebrewers could really be cool.
    I loved the Touchpad at $600 (plus tax) and was planning (saving up) on buying another one for my wife at the same price. The price drop helped me get another one quicker. I see no reason to "justify" my purchase to anyone but my wife, since it is our money and no one elses. I do see people here all the time trying to "justify" why I should not have bought one. Bottom line it is none of their business. If I really wanted to buy an iPad, Xoom, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, or --insert other tablet I tried and did not like here-- I would have bought one, since I obviously had the money and knowledge to do so. It is still very sad that other people feel they need to come to PreCentral to justify their purchase of a non-webOS tablet. There are other forums for that.

I think the negativity has to do with the fact that they are not happy with their purchase and see the Touchpad, even in it's dying state, as a threat to their preferred platform. In some sad and desperate way, they are scared of something that really does not poise a threat to them personally (unless they work for Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft, Samsung, etc) and this is their way of expressing their fears. They see people happy with their Touchpad, regardless of the minor problems with it (that most other tablets have, btw), and their fears are elevated to the point where they feel compelled to drown out our happiness. Again, very sad.
    hrminer92 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I remember when people who bought the tp for $500 tried to justify their purchase. Few weeks later the product was cancelled then liquidated. It's kind of funny.
    at least we got the device, even at the lower price theres many who still wanted one and didnt get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think the negativity has to do with the fact that they are not happy with their purchase and see the Touchpad, even in it's dying state, as a threat to their preferred platform. In some sad and desperate way, they are scared of something that really does not poise a threat to them personally (unless they work for Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft, Samsung, etc) and this is their way of expressing their fears. They see people happy with their Touchpad, regardless of the minor problems with it (that most other tablets have, btw), and their fears are elevated to the point where they feel compelled to drown out our happiness. Again, very sad.
    Come on, let's be serious. The only thing webOS threatens is the profitability of the company that owns it.

Why is it so hard to believe that a product that has failed twice (for a myriad of reasons) might have some legitimate problems that folks outside of the webOS bubble might consider showstoppers?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Come on, let's be serious. The only thing webOS threatens is the profitability of the company that owns it.

Why is it so hard to believe that a product that has failed twice (for a myriad of reasons) might have some legitimate problems that folks outside of the webOS bubble might consider showstoppers?
    Why would folks outside of the webOS bubble even come to a place like PreCentral or webOSroundup? The folks on these sites can't change what HP does or does not do with webOS. This site is not run by HP. It is ran by folks in the webOS bubble for other folks in the webOS bubble. Replying negatively to every good or bad comment about webOS here is a very desperate attempt to poison the webOS community. It has nothing to do with getting you so called "legitimate" problems with the platform addressed at all. In order to do that you need to go to Palo Alto and camp outside of HP's headquarters or buy enough stock in the company to get them to listen to you. Posting your vile comments here don't help the platform or the community. You can start your own "why webOS sucks and I will never buy it regardless of what anyone thinks or who owns it and I will continue to belittle it even though I don't use it" forum and take the other naysayers with you.
    Cantaffordit and geekpeter like this.
    Why do you think I don't use webOS?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast