View Poll Results: How satisfied are you here @ Pre|Central?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Satisfied

30 40.00%
  • Neutral

18 24.00%
  • Unsatisfied

27 36.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Really dude? Come on...

I tried that, but unless you're one of the "rockstar" developers you can't break in. That is to say, they'll just see you as "someone else". Got disillusioned there too.
    I make apps in Ares and I hang out with them. Who knows what they actually think of me but I have fun
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I agree with the OP's theme.

I too came to treocentral, briefly strayed to wmexperts, and came to precentral to learn all about my device, tips, tricks, hacks, upcoming devices, etc.

but I have a vzw pre plus. Many that joined precentral have the same device, or a pre minus or pixi +/-. Our devices have become deadbeats...no more tips, no more software updates, no carrier support, no more hacks, no more overclocking, no more apps, etc...some of us are still under contract, some of us are so enamored with webos that we don't want to leave but don't see a compelling reason to get a veer or pre2...but with general surfing, there isn't much going on in pre2 or veer land either. Everything is about the touchpad, of which I own and love...but its a novelty device, not something we carry on the go. With the impending release of the pre3, we still don't know which US carrier(s) will carry the device...and even when we do, can we expect any carrier support? Look how long it takes vzw to release a software update. Its become a negative atmosphere here at precentral, but a big part of it is because of the lack of any real phone related news by hp and palm. Think about it- had palm and/or hp been cranking out devices and software updates, and releasing on multiple carriers, would there be as many complaint threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Think about it- had palm and/or hp been cranking out devices and software updates, and releasing on multiple carriers, would there be as many complaint threads?
    yes

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've been a member here for a little over a year and there are always ups and downs. If theres bad news people complain, if theres good news, people forget all about the bad news. There have been times when Id come on here and everyone was in a good mood. Now is just one of those down times. People need to calm down. Its just a phone. Or its just a tablet. Some of us like coming on here to talk about the things we LIKE. Isnt that what this site is for?
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    This is why I suggest you do - take it for what it's worth:

The device specific forums are renamed in some way so they have "Tips, guide" or whatever, they are specifically for posts about using the devices, problems with devices and that sort of stuff.

Same for the WebOS development forum.

Then you have an opinion section which pretty much every other sub-category is in - the difference is that this is "Opt-in", you have to opt in to actually *See* it (VBulletin is capable of this).

All the opinion stuff and rumours go in there - if you want to get involved in that sort of stuff, you have to actively *want* to go in there, otherwise you simply don't see it.

I'm a member of another (Private) forum that is set up that way and it works really well.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Further to my previous post, IGNTNUNLMTD division would be perfect:

Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    When I come to a forum about webOS, I want to discuss:

My phone.
    My tablet.
    Tweaks, hacks, patches and homebrew.
    Cool app ideas.
    Cool apps that already exist.
    New ways to use my platform, such as installing Ubuntu on it.

Things I really don't want to discuss:

Corporate politics.
    Why my platform is dying.
    Why my platform is worthless.
    Why my platform is late to the game.
    Why my platform can't compete.
    Why the hardware sucks (it doesn't!).

The top half would be in the publicly visible forum, the bottom half would be in the invisible opt-in forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    You can't moderate the entire community imploding. The negativity here is overwhelming. I'm not going to report someone who is not being a troll, but just being a guy with a different opinion, people are allowed to have their opinions. It's just not fun to be around. Most would agree.

This is a webos site, and 95% of the active community hates webos. What good is that.

It's sad, frustrating, and makes me angry.
    I make snarky and sarcastic comments against HP Palm's stupidity at times, yet I'm active with reporting bugs and ways to fix problems with my Veer...

So where do I sit?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    kkhanmd likes this.
    boredom and disappointment in the absence of something to be excited and inspired by. I think this is an underlying issue that is growing on this site, with the webos community. I love webos, ask anyone that knows me and they will probably roll there eyes in regards to how I "preach the gospel" of webos. But lately my enthusiasm has taken on a slight embarrassed edge to it. When looking at it it is because what I celebrate about webos is alot of the "possibilities" or " what is coming". My webos experience is exactly what I need and want, but when I talk to others and they are interested and excited and say which phone should I get, I am hesitant to recommend old hardware that has great "possibilities".

I think in the absence of something to get excited about, the boredom and disappointment reigns
    Titan078 likes this.
    Theres alot and i mean alot of trolls and flamers on here but hey what do you expect, this is the Internet!...I just look at it as a form of entertainment and dont get too worked up over it...
    I love the reviews, info, and ability to find new apps and Homebrew.

I get tired of those who want to trash something because they don't have it/can't understand it/can't afford it. While I appreciate honest reviews that can be negative, the internet has provided a pulpit for the idiots who just want to be negative without any authority behind their opinions.
    This is a bigger problem than this forum:

1) Sarcasam and snark (rudeness) is what passes as intelligence and independent thinking these days. So many of the people who feel the need to present like jerks actually THINK they are showing off their intelligence. Negativity gets eyeballs and reactions and many of these trolls are just attention *****s.

(Start rant) For all of you trolls, look up the constitutional meaning of censorship. A private forum has the right to allow or disallow whatever it chooses. You have the freedom to start your own forum (if anybody bothers to come). Get over it! (rant over)

2) HP has not helped. Not in the products released, but in building a sense of momentum. The products many not necessarily be top notch, but they are far from the worst, but marketing is less than is needed given their current position. Marketing is not just advertising, but the timing of announcements, presenting a compelling roadmap, AND responding to negative press in an effective way.

The current story about the Best Buy "problem". The numbers don't make sense, but in the echo chamber that is the tech press, it will be repeated over 100 times by sites more reputable than the original source... and take a life of it's own. This will affect the choices developers and consumers make and it is painful to watch this and no response by tight lipped HP.

3) Lack of news. Scroll to the bottom of this page and look at the news in the other forums (even Crackberry) vs the news available for webOS users. News - actual hard news. Enough said. In the absence of fact you get rumor or speculation. And then you get people pushing an agenda in place of honest discussion.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    soccerbudd likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I want to spend my time with like minded individuals. There is so much negativity on this forum it spoils it for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    I want to spend my time with like minded individuals. There is so much negativity on this forum it spoils it for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    But there are still a lot of people here who actually LOVE webOS. And lately, a lot of new people are joining. We just have to not fuel the flames so to speak and just ignore the crabby people.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    When I come to a forum about webOS, I want to discuss:

My phone.
    My tablet.
    Tweaks, hacks, patches and homebrew.
    Cool app ideas.
    Cool apps that already exist.
    New ways to use my platform, such as installing Ubuntu on it.

Corporate politics.
    Why my platform is dying.
    Why my platform is worthless.
    Why my platform is late to the game.
    Why my platform can't compete.
    Why the hardware sucks (it doesn't!).

I want to discuss:
    Up and coming WebOS hardware and Apps

How WebOS hardware and Apps compare to i-anything
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    [QUOTE=RedMist;3072028]I want to spend my time with like minded individuals. There is so much negativity on this forum it spoils it for me.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using [url=

You have a Pre3 (I'm envious) - how do you like it?
    I really like it here. It's very civil, has all the topics to keep me from boredom, and everyone is helpful. No Nick burns here. It can feel a bit too moderated sometimes but maybe that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    3) Lack of news. Scroll to the bottom of this page and look at the news in the other forums (even Crackberry) vs the news available for webOS users. News - actual hard news. Enough said. In the absence of fact you get rumor or speculation. And then you get people pushing an agenda in place of honest discussion.
    THIS. The Best Buy "news" yesterday is still only a rumor, and if you've been browsing AllThingsD in the past day, they've been taking subtle jabs at HP everywhere, like they have some sort of anti HP/webOS agenda at work (I just had to remove them from my Google Reader subscription, it was too much).

And then today, the "news" comes out that they might spin off the PSG, and already you see everyone spinning it as "Oh, HP admitted webOS is a failure and they're trying to get rid of it," and if you try to tell them it's only a rumor and even if it is true it doesn't mean webOS is dead, they will troll you into giving up.

I wonder when Precentral will finally hit the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I really like it here. It's very civil, has all the topics to keep me from boredom, and everyone is helpful. No Nick burns here. It can feel a bit too moderated sometimes but maybe that's a good thing.
    You have not read the Precentral comments then, or ventured into the cross-platform or Touchpad forums.

And it's nowhere near too moderated here. If you want too moderated, see how the webOS Roundup forums are run. You can't say one thing critical of HP before they censor you. It's the opposite of what you have here, really, and it's more ridiculous.
    Guys.. while we appreciate the feedback (and we do take it to heart), please refrain from bashing on staff (they are all members here first, and volunteers second), and from commenting on other sites. We have never publicly commented on other sites and ask our members to follow that same philosophy. Thanks!
    pogeypre and bevcraw like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You have not read the Precentral comments then,
    I actually think the forums are bad until I hit the comments on the front page any more.

This is not directed at anyone, but maybe someone on staff can answer this. I know there is some moderation in the comments on the front page, but it seems almost non-existent. Is there a reason P|C doesn't IP ban some of the trolls on the front page to at least slow down the madness?

I only ask, because when someone has something insightful or someone that may not frequent P|C or follow webOS news has a question, the comments get blown up so fast there is zero discussion most times. If there is discussion it gets hidden beneath the garbage posts, etc.

Just curious, some of the threads in the forums get out of control, but nothing like 300+ comments on a front page article in under 24 hours, with a lot of repetition of the same halftruths/lies/rumors/negativity. I am not asking for strict moderation, but something along the lines of the forums would make the "face" of P|C more effective and attractive to new users. I think some new users seeing the comments may think the forums have the same garbage.

One example of this is when the 1.5 4G TP was announced, the article was so out of control with incorrect information (saying HP was using a different processor), you couldn't get the readily information in the comments that it was in fact the exact same processor.

Sorry for my little rant. I do enjoy it here overall, and most days the negativity in the forums is easy enough to ignore, just saying the news could really use some help.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/18/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I guess all the recent chaos was everyone reacting to something they knew was coming, they just didn't know what it was so didn't know how to react to it.

Well, now we know...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast