Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Harvey32
  • 2 Post By dj ozone
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    I am an original Pre- guy on Sprint. I check in here and WebOSRoundup (and the Sprint) forums all the time looking for news. And no solid news has come.

Instead, too many of us fall for purveyors of rumor made up from whole cloth. Bearing 0% fact. Wishful thinking. The way it works is that somebody just makes something up, or sometimes it's phrased like "I wish....". Then everyone jumps on board and talks about a non-existent event as if it were real. Then everyone gets disappointed for a week. Then we jump on the next rumor. It's almost like a form of board trolling.

I'm not trying to shill the other site, but because this is Aug 11, I pick this for my example. Supposedly in 4 days, Sprint will launch a 3D webOS slab phone. How would I think that? Because some made-up rumor says so: <<link removed>

Obviously, there will not be a 3D, webOS powered slab phone launched on Aug 15th. But this is what I'm talking about.

Let's all resolve to stop participating in "I heard from a source" threads. Let's let them go unanswered and fall to the bottom of the page. Let's only discuss things with a factual basis.

Yes, that means that we'll have little to talk about. But then, that silence should tell all of us about the contempt that HP has for its mobile phone user base. And, as much as we love webOS, maybe it's time to just pack up and vote against HP's lack of engagement with our feet and wallets.

My dos centavos.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: we don't link to competing sites.
    sorli likes this.
    My two cents is people are free to participate in whatever thread they want to...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey32 View Post
    Let's all resolve to stop participating in "I heard from a source" threads. Let's let them go unanswered and fall to the bottom of the page. Let's only discuss things with a factual basis.
    • An original Sprint Pre- guy?
    • Who just joined in June?
    • Who has just 4 posts?
    • Who links to a fanciful rumor?
    • Who tell users that HP has contempt for them?
    • And that they should abandon the platform?

Who really is the troll?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm... just sayin
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    e-gadget-guy likes this.
    IMO, Rumors, good and bad, as long as they are clearly labelled as such, shouldn't be discouraged.

Many modern day events were predated by "Rumors".
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    IMO, Rumors, good and bad, as long as they are clearly labelled as such, shouldn't be discouraged.

Many modern day events were predated by "Rumors".
    I tend to agree. If anyone sees a post that looks like a rumor, but it is not labelled as such, please report to the mods. We will make sure that a rumor label is added.
    Yep! The OP looks like a "new form of trolling" to me. But this is just a rumor.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    1 Create news website
    2 Post controversial story
    3 Post controversial comment to story
    4 Site back and watch the page counts increase
    5 Profit !
    Quote Originally Posted by lactose View Post
    1 Create news website
    2 Post controversial story
    3 Post controversial comment to story