1.    #1  
    Hello,

I was hoping a mod or someone else could explain some of the ground rules for posting to me. I've read through much of the info, but my main question is how much is humor/satire/sarcasm allowed to be used in threads?

Here's an example. In the thread that was started by a gut on his third TouchPad because it has some light bleed issues in the upper left corner on boot up, there is a bunch of discussion of bleeding.

I posted, "All of the talk of the TP bleeding makes me realize why it's so moody" or something similar. After posting, a re-entered the thread to read another post that had been made while I was typing and saw my response while I was viewing the thread. Now, my comment is gone.

Admittedly, the comment wasn't adding anything technical to the discussion. It was simply meant as an attempt a humor in a thread that was devolving into a bunch of posters ganging up on the OP.

Are posts like these out of line? Or was my post not moderated and a system error sent it into the internet black hole?

Thanks.
    meh....it was just a post on a message board. It is not like they deleted your only copy of your Magnum Opus.

If you cross the line, they will send you a PM telling you to cool it. If they just found the post to be a bit skeevy (but, not a real violation) they just delete it.

Not worth making a deal out of and the lack of a PM means you are not close to banning or anything.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    meh....it was just a post on a message board. It is not like they deleted your only copy of your Magnum Opus.

If you cross the line, they will send you a PM telling you to cool it. If they just found the post to be a bit skeevy (but, not a real violation) they just delete it.

Not worth making a deal out of and the lack of a PM means you are not close to banning or anything.
    I'm not making nearly as big a deal of it as you imply. I'm simply asking for clarification so I know whether to waste my time making these types of comments in the future and trying to get some more information about the community since I'm not a longstanding poster. That's all.

In the other message boards/forums I post in, those types of comments are welcomed and maybe even encouraged. Just trying to blend in here, too.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm just surprised they haven't deleted this one:

Ah well, mods are human too, contrary to popular belief.
    Imagine hours of reading off-topic posts derailing thread after thread.
    You gotta feel sorry for them.

Next a mod will come around telling you to next time ask a mod in PM about a deleted post, and not start a new thread about it.
    And then they will close it.
    See, I'm learning proper protocol already. Thanks for the response.

I'm a mod on a forum full of college sports fans, so I feel the mods' pain.

And I am more of a KK than KM fan, for the record. And I actually like the little bit larger profile of the TP to the iP.
    Last edited by AZBigE; 07/27/2011 at 10:19 AM.
    GFN is correct in pointing out that the mods are only human. But each of us tries to apply the forum guidelines fairly to everyone.

What would be acceptable on a college forum is not necessarily acceptable here. PreCentral is a family-friendly forum, that is, members of all ages who are interested in webOS are welcome here. This is one of the reasons why we have appropriate language guidelines here.

The bottom line is to remember that all posts should be relevant and meaningful to the discussion at hand. Before you hit that post button, please review your post to be sure that it is on topic, adds to the discussion, and will not insult or offend another member.

And yes, you should not post publicly about a moderator's actions. If you have a question about a moderator's action, please send a private message to any moderator.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/27/2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added thought