Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Something hit me after reading the latest rounds of posts in here. Many people are stating that the reason some people who have moved along from webOS and are back in PreCentral commenting of such are actually seeking justification. I find this to be a valid statement - and this coming from an individual (myself) that has moved along to iOS already. However, it isn't the only reason why I - myself - am still interested in news about webOS.

Well, I can explain. I moved on from my Sprint Pre (launch) device. I did so with justification. The justification that says why bother sticking around for what seems like a lot longer before you get the things you want out of the OS and hardware. The justification that says I have poured countless days of my life into the promotion of webOS as the right way to go for people considering to make a move elsewhere. That idea has completely backfired on me and now I have two individuals I work with who seem like they are in a panic over the situation now; and I can't help but feel as though I played a role in that. The justification that says technology has long since moved on from the capability of the existing devices and why am I deciding to "ride it out" when it's so obvious that the other guys currently have much more to offer (?); and developer support is a huge, huge one for me. When e-mails such as the one from Epocrates start showing up in people's inboxes about no longer offering support for the platform - that becomes a substantial factor in gauging the weight of the situation. The justification that comes in the form of noticing just how irrelevant webOS has become in the smartphone platform wars when you no longer see its name along side of Android, iOS, and Blackberry (who has been declining yet remains part of the conversation?). And honestly, further proof is out there that WP7 is more in the conversation than webOS is right now - not that its not deserving of being in the conversation but isn't that striking when webOS is not? And lastly, the validation of all this - that HP is ditching the Palm of the past and is now moving forward. Essentially pressing reboot on webOS and telling you - the current user base - that you can't come along. They are not Apple, this is not iOS 4 not being compatible with the iPhone 2G. More successful and proven devices had shown up since - on the same carrier - and offered customers the chance to upgrade even when they were traditionally not eligible to do so. No, they were Palm (now HP) who does not have the same ground to stand on as Apple did to take this approach in particular; they (HP Palm) are delusional to think they are in hopes of retaining current users with their future plans.

I am interested in the state of webOS because I still see the same hope for the platform as I did from day one. That new feeling that was seen at CES '09 is still there. Too bad Palm couldn't turn that hope into fruition due to a bad marketing campaign and an awful launch strategy (specifically on Verizon). Now, with the "influx of cash flow" that HP brings to the table, they all of a sudden have a chance? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know - and none of us can do anything but speculate as to how this will turn out anyway. All I can place on my maneuvers up to this point is that they are based on facts; things that have taken place already. However, I refuse to stay uninterested just because I left. For one, I am a student of technology anyway - my entire aim (career wise) is technology; specifically Information Technology - Computer Networking. I am not the kind of individual who chooses to be left in the dark about a promising product. How would you feel about someone who didn't know that Android is the operating system while Droid is a line of phones primarily made by Motorola (with the exception of the HTC Droid Incredible)? You know, they just constantly keep saying "droid this" and "droid that"? I can't help but look at them like they have made an unjustified purchase since they don't even know how to refer to the platform.

Anyway, I choose to stay involved. And guess what? I'm not only here, but I also frequent TiPb, Android Central, WP Central, Engadget, Gizmodo, CNet, and any other site I'm interested in to bring a total unbiased opinion to it all. Classify me as some "hater" but to be honest, PreCentral needs A LOT more people like me who may not be part of the bunch anymore but have chosen to stay interested. This keeps webOS relevant in just about the only way left - other than HP making their latest false promises to the masses. If it isn't for people like me - or doing what I'm doing as an "outsider" looking in - than webOS users are truly in their own bubble. Lastly, no matter how you feel - I'll stay interested in the platform until it either becomes a major contender (again?) or it goes Sega. Sorry folks, like it or not, you're stuck with me - and you're better off with me than without me.
    I stopped reading @ the part you said you moved to ios, sorry.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    im not sure to me if your considered a trader, someone who influenced others etc. I have no problem personally with people moving on, and if you advise to do so I dont think thats wrong either. People who are still here on old outdated devices, i hope are because its by choice not by major influence by others. Your not the only person who has moved on and has still kept in touch with precentral, to me its not a bad thing only when those choose to use their negative opinions on webos against people who support it. Though if you are still interested in Webos, regardless if you dont ever pick up another device I think thats great, and we welcome whatever insight and support you offer. Again my opinion.
    You're always welcome to hang around Precentral.

I'm still here because I'm still interested in webOS and plan on returning if HP gets it up to speed.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    If we got rid of everyone who no longer use webOS, P|C's forums would be down to, like, 7 people. Especially after the mutiny of last week.

Almost everyone who has jumped ship ends up looking at webOS with a different perspective and I think that helps keep HP honest.
    There's a difference between lurking here to learn or keep up with stuff vs lurking here simply to bash webOS/HP/Palm at every opportunity. I'm on the fence right now as well. I could get a Pre2 or I could get an iPhone or an Android phone or even switch carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    There's a difference between lurking here to learn or keep up with stuff vs lurking here simply to bash webOS/HP/Palm at every opportunity. I'm on the fence right now as well. I could get a Pre2 or I could get an iPhone or an Android phone or even switch carriers.
    Exactly. I don't mind people not owning WebOS devices -- I don't own one myself -- I mind people being here for the sole purpose of bashing the product most of us love. Stay here and learn and have fun.
    I personally love webOS, and even love my outdated Pre minus. When I first came to this site, everyone was very pro-Palm, everyone was very helpful, and it seemed like the kind of community I wanted to be a part of. The last six months or so has been horrible on this site. It has become full of people who do nothing but bash HP/Palm and everything about them. Believe me, I understand why there would be negative comments. There are many valid reason to do so. But there is also a positive way to go about negative statements, not just the trolling i have been seeing lately. How many times is someone going to say "Screw you HP, Im getting an Evo!" Fine, We respect that. But dont come in hear and talk all kinds of nonsense all day over and over again.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I stopped reading @ the part you said you moved to ios, sorry.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm not sure where that wasn't an implied possibly considering the title of this thread is "Am I the problem? (Former Pre owner)". Still, to me - that is the bubble I speak of when you're not hearing what anyone has to say that's speaking on the situation from the outside. Sure, take the obvious haters out of the equation - but please consider that there are people who are rooting for webOS that aren't current users; whether they are former or not shouldn't matter.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I really hope people are reading my entire post rather than assuming it's some bashing point I'm trying to make. It isn't. I'm just representative of the many people who have left but still hold interest in the webOS platform. Deep down inside, it would be the only reason to come back whether they admit that or not. When I was a Pre owner, I didn't go around to iOS sites bashing their users...LOL! Whoever does that needs to get a life!
    All and all its a nice read, but I try to speak for myself and not as a hole group.
    If you PM'ed all the past Pre owners and ask for their thoughts on this and stated that you was going to be speaking on their behalf, you can make a valid point on you're research. I might poke fun here and there at what is going on with HPalm at any given moment but I do read as much as I can and post my thoughts (as one). Its not a good time for some Pre owners as they have to make a choice. to stay or move on and if you can help us with our dilemma, thats great.
    I'm not bashing you in any way. I'm just trying to understand why you (as one) can speak for all past Pre owners with only reading on the forums?
    Last edited by warlord9159; 02/13/2011 at 03:17 PM.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

I hardly think that the OP can be considered a problem with a lifetime total of 28 posts. It's good to see genuine interest in webOS and the smartphone market. The problem comes with former webOS users think they need to convince current Pre owners that they've made a bad purchase or need to get something else or be considered crazy.

The OP seems like someone that may even want the Pre3 when it ships. Sounds great!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/13/2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hardly think that the OP can be considered a problem with a lifetime total of 28 posts. It's good to see genuine interest in webOS and the smartphone market. The problem comes with former webOS users think they need to convince current Pre owners that they've made a bad purchase or need to get something else or be considered crazy.

The OP seems like someone that may ven want the Pre3 when it ships. Sounds great!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord9159 View Post
    All and all its a nice read, but I try to speak for myself and not as a hole group.
    If you PM'ed all the past Pre owners and ask for their thoughts on this and stated that you was going to be speaking on their behalf, you can make a valid point on you're research. I might poke fun here and there at what is going on with HPalm at any given moment but I do read as much as I can and post my thoughts (as one). Its not a good time for some Pre owners as they have to make a choice. to stay or move on and if you can help us with our dilemma, thats great.
    I'm not bashing you in any way. I'm just trying to understand why you (as one) can speak for all past Pre owners with only reading on the forums?
    Sorry, I guess I should've cleared that up. I know for a fact that I'm not representing those people who are former webOS users but are still around. But I at least want to feel as though the interest that webOS sparks stays relevant in the minds of former users to the point they they come back; and that's what we share. However they choose to express that is on them. Some will choose negativity and others will have an open mind. At the end of the day, I do speak solely for myself.
    I couldn't imagine anyone caring if someone left WebOS and then stayed in touch with us at Precentral. Yet, to leave and then to return to bash Palm / HP / WebOS makes no sense . . . unless the bashers are just trying to convince themselves they made the right choice in leaving.
    as I was stating before as long as there are no slick comments like what Nappy seems to always make on here your always welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I couldn't imagine anyone caring if someone left WebOS and then stayed in touch with us at Precentral. Yet, to leave and then to return to bash Palm / HP / WebOS makes no sense . . . unless the bashers are just trying to convince themselves they made the right choice in leaving.
    exactly and those certain people know who they are and should just move on, right now there are a handfull of them too.
    I would understand if you had to come back to help with apps or patches that you made or help us with the knowledge gained working within the OS itself.
    most of the People that stay try to help out and I greatly appreciate all that they do.

(Not @ the OP)
    Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, I don't know why people must try justify moving on to other platforms.
    "They need to convince current Pre owners that they've made a bad purchase or need to get something else or be considered crazy".

It does seem to me that the OP really likes WebOS and would come back.

None of his statement seem as to bash WebOS but as to "talk it up"

Ive had my thoughts about moving on but It was more of a "wow what to do now" lol
    Last edited by warlord9159; 02/13/2011 at 04:13 PM.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should've cleared that up. I know for a fact that I'm not representing those people who are former webOS users but are still around. But I at least want to feel as though the interest that webOS sparks stays relevant in the minds of former users to the point they they come back; and that's what we share. However they choose to express that is on them. Some will choose negativity and others will have an open mind. At the end of the day, I do speak solely for myself.
    That is true you speak for yourself. You do represent many who are in the same boat. People who have moved on but still are rooting for WebOS. We all saw the promise of it and its miserable downfall by a company to cash strapped to do anything. That and the continuing soap opera that is HP and it's customer relations to Palm devotees. Has not made anyone happy.

In the end we all hope this can come back. Lets hope it's true.

As far as the bashers are concerned, it goes both ways. For every Basher on here. There are just as many delusional Fanbios on here to get very defensive and hurtful toward anyone that doesn't tow the cult line. I myself moved to and Evo (not that i wanted to). Is it the best No. ATM it's alot more then HPalm. If HP does something good i'll praise them. If the screw up. Then expect a rational criticism.
    That is how I feel, I had left the webOS community because my Bell Pre broke about 7 months ago and I couldn't get a replacement because in Canada they did not carry it at the store anymore so I had to buy a HTC Legend. It is a durable phone but Android does not have the same feeling as webOS. I still keep around these forums to see whats new and I have applied for a developer Pre 2 and I hope I either get a complimentary Pre 2 or a discount coupon for it.

I miss webOS and I don't want to use Android anymore, there are problems with some of the versions and the ROM's people create and there is not a big homebrew developer base for some of the Android phones. (The the thing I miss the most is the homebrew and customization of the webOS interface.)
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast