In the last Engadget podcast, it was noted (with good humor) that I am in a relationship with a Palm employee, Lisa Brewster. It's probably past time I make a statement about this and my reporting ethics in general, so here goes:

I keep my work life and personal life separate. We never have and never will discuss inside information about Palm. Lisa has never been nor will ever be a source for a story I write on PreCentral or anywhere else.

Lisa's specific role is within Developer Relations, which has a small PRPRPR $element$ $to$ $it$. $Whenever$ $something$ $related$ $to$ $Lisa$'$s$ $role$ $at$ $Palm$ $comes$ $up$, $we$ $are$ $rigorously$ $ensuring$ $those$ $conversations$ $include$ $both$ $other$ $people$ $at$ $Palm$ $and$ $at$ $PreCentral$.

Insofar as dating somebody who works for a company I cover is concerned, I hope that my 10 years of reporting on Palm is evidence enough that I will put the company's feet to the fire when I feel they deserve it. This relationship in no way ensures positive coverage and I regularly publish items that Palm would rather I didn't. That won't change.

I feel the best standard for this situation has been set by Kara Swisher of All Things D and I encourage you to read her statement and trust much of it applies to me as well.

PreCentral is a site that combines webOS enthusiasts, discussion, reporting, apps, podcasts, and I'm proud to say is the center of the webOS community. Those factors have the biggest impact on our reporting by several orders of magnitude. What matters is doing right by our readers. That's what drives my reporting.

As long as I'm making something like an ethics statement, I may as well add that I do not own any Palm stock (or, much to the chagrin of my family, stock of any kind).

Finally, although I may be a very minor internet personality, I do like to keep my private life somewhat private. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. If you have any questions, comments, etc, please feel free to email them to me directly at dieter@smartphoneexperts.com