1.    #1  
    Is it only me, or you too almost never get good results from this forum's inbuilt search function? I always end up finding things better via a Google search with "siterecentral.net" option... Isn't it a pity?
    Yes - the search engine on pre|central leaves a lot to be desired and there have been other posts about it in the past. They also seem to be working on the Page presentation as the rendering of the home page header on Windows 7 - IE8 has been miss-aligned for about two weeks now. The problem seems to be with the gray navigation bar at the top of the page not opening completely thus throwing off the page alignment.

Edit: The front page alignment problem is also noted in Windows XP with IE8
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 01/17/2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  3.    #3  
    Thankyou for your reply. My other gripe with this site is a JavaScript error on line 20 ("undefined is null or not an object"), that pops up on most pages. It happens inside obfuscated code, so its a pest to look at...
    OP is correct. A few suggestions that have helped me:

1. Use Google. Start with site:forums.precentral.net at the beginning of your search parameters.

2. When using the precentral search, limit it to titles only

3. Use the "new posts" link near the top to see the most current posting activity. That shows threads across all forum categories so you don't have to scroll through each one individually.

4. When you find multiple threads that cover the exact same topic, hit the report icon (red/white triangle) for the first post, include the url for the other thread(s) in the report. That helps the moderators combine threads and edit titles to be more meaningful than just generic titles like "help needed" or "does anyone know if..." which are useless for searching.

5. Send a PM to someone with a "forum leader" badge under their name. They can often direct you to an existing thread or another member with expertise around your specific need.

happy hunting
  5.    #5  
    Fantastic advice, thankyou very much for your efforts on enlightening me. I'll use your tips in further searches with the inbuilt function.
    just so I have this straight, your pointing out that the google search engine is better then the search function on this site? Hmm that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Is it only me, or you too almost never get good results from this forum's inbuilt search function? I always end up finding things better via a Google search with "siterecentral.net" option... Isn't it a pity?
    The problem is that there are 2 sites here precentral and treocentral.. Plus some words are automatically excluded from search. Compile that with the fact that there hasn't been a DB cleanup in years and voila!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -merge in 3 - 2 - ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Fantastic advice, thankyou very much for your efforts on enlightening me. I'll use your tips in further searches with the inbuilt function.
    FYI, another thing that hamstrings the search engine (and member responsiveness) on these forums is creating duplicate threads. That is why the forum guidelines don't allow it. (A moderator will be along to merge your threads shortly.)

Part of the reason is that it creates more threads to index and search - and lots more for you to hunt through when searching. Equally important is that members don't want to post the same answers over and over, especially in identical threads. Answers and responses get a bit snarky or abbreviated after a member has to post the same info time over and over and over.

Also, new users that come along behind you may get incomplete or misleading answers of the information is spread across multiple threads on a topic.

Please keep these tips in mind when creating a new thread:

1. Only create one thread.

2. Create concise and clear titles so that it is easier to tell if threads listed in search results are worth drilling down in to look for info. Creative headlines that mislead readers (like "I'm getting rid of my Pre" for someone actually just getting a warranty replacement) or vague titles (like "help me..." or "I'm so annoyed at...") make it hard for users and search engines to determine relevance without drilling down and wasting a bunch of time reading only to realize it's not helpful for your current search.

3. If you don't know which forum to put it in, hit the report button (red/white triangle to the right) on your original post and a moderator will move it for you if it isn't in the correct forum.
  10.    #10  
    Indeed, mantaining a forum is no easy task! There is no exact method to avoid users duplicating subjects. Well, there is: A good search engine, or a categorized FAQ, none of which are easy tasks either.

Anyway, the important thing is covered: This site seems to have all the answers one might ever need!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I can't even find the place to post a new thread! Need to vent; my Palm Pre is old and need to upgrade, but no word on new Palms or WebOS 2. Been waiting for months. Still on Sprint cause it's the cheapest "unlimited", but they never came outwith upgraded Pre, they have no info on new Palms and since no more Palm phones was going to change to Widows 7 phone, but they don't have those either. What up Sprint? No I-Phone, no new Palms, and no windows phone. Not sure how much longer I'll wait.
    If you look around on here, you'll see Sprint had an announcement scheduled for early February.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Re: the multiple postings on the same topic - I was having problems with my keyboard tonight, so I did a search for "keyboard" - title only - and I can't tell you how many threads were listed for just "virtual keyboard." My "keyboard" search yielded a total of 485 (or 465?) results.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    You usually get better results using Google.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpalm View Post
    I can't even find the place to post a new thread! Need to vent; my Palm Pre is old and need to upgrade, but no word on new Palms or WebOS 2. Been waiting for months. Still on Sprint cause it's the cheapest "unlimited", but they never came outwith upgraded Pre, they have no info on new Palms and since no more Palm phones was going to change to Widows 7 phone, but they don't have those either. What up Sprint? No I-Phone, no new Palms, and no windows phone. Not sure how much longer I'll wait.
    I'm very please that you didn't create a thread for this.

And we all need to vent occasionally. So we have a general complaint thread for posts like this if you need it:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...ts-thread.html

Remember, Sprint is making major announcements on Feb 7th, and Palm is making major announcements on Feb 9th. Hang in there. Your choices will be much clearer after Sprint and Palm tell everyone what they are planning!
    I have some complaints myself there Mr. cantaffordit !! lol ltm ltm ltm lol ha HA just messin !!

the white will show you the way !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    "not good"

This must be the kindest thread title of the year.