1.    #1  
    I'd like to be able to search in the Off-Topic area (at least using Advance Search) but this appears to be totally broken (perhaps as a side effect of Dieter's "fixes" to the "New Posts" logic).

I can't imagine the intent was to totally break advanced search. Does anyone know a workaround? (Is anyone on the P|C staff looking into fixing this?

thanks in advance!
    --
    (The Public)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    It's been like this for a while now (even before the New Posts changes). Off Topic does not show up in any search results.
    That is the nature of "Off-Topic"... the posts are excluded in the system as Dieter doesn't want OT posts showing up in on-topic searches for answers to phone questions.

The work around would be to use Google itself as the webcrawlers do cache these forums.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    It's been like this for a while now (even before the New Posts changes). Off Topic does not show up in any search results.
    That's totally fine, but when you click on Advanced Search and specifically ask for it, you should be able to drill into it. (Just my opinion.)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The work around would be to use Google itself as the webcrawlers do cache these forums.
    Yeah, I've been doing that (but it's a PITA). It's misleading to list Off-Topic as a forum in the lower-right area of advanced search if it cannot be searched. Ideally it should give a nice error message indicating why results are being excluded (along with a pre-formed URL for the search in Google instead).

thanks
    --
    Bob
    Agreed

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    add this to the beginning of your google search:

site:forums.precentral.net/off-topic/

and the add the text you are looking for, like this (but without the quotes):

"site:forums.precentral.net/off-topic frenzy alert"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    "site:forums.precentral.net/off-topic frenzy alert"
    It's the "/off-topic" as part of the URL that was escaping my brain last night. (I was including that part among the search terms part and my results were predictably less than desirable. (thanks)