1.    #1  
    Hello!
    Just wanted to shoot back a recommendation for the advertisement on the bottom of the front page. Sorry, Im not very technologically literate, so this may be incorrect terminology.

Lately, (im guessing for the holidays), there has been a best buy "pop up" advertisement on the bottom of the front page of Precentral. Is there anyway to change the size of that? The width of the advertisement is just larger than a netbook's 1024 x 600 resolution, so the "X" to close it out(in the upper right corner of the ad) is just outside the screen edge and their is no way to scroll over to clear it out (without zooming out, etc...). This makes it kind of a pain to see the front page on an already tiny netbook screen.

Not sure if this can be changed, but just a recommendation for convenience to those of us that have Netbooks!

Thanks! You guys (and gals?) are awesome!

-Rich
    I am having the same problem. I can't close it and it takes up over a third of my screen.
    Are you using the browser's pop-up blocker?

Internet Explorer:

"Pop-up Blocker is turned on in Internet Explorer by default. To turn it off or to turn it on again if you've already turned it off, follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
    2. Click the Tools button, and then click Pop-up Blocker.
    3. Do one of the following:
    *To turn off Pop-up Blocker, click Turn Off Pop-up Blocker.
    * To turn on Pop-up Blocker, click Turn On Pop-up Blocker."

Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker: frequently asked questions

Firefox:

"At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options.

Select the Content panel."

Select - Block Pop-up Windows

Pop-up blocker | How to | Firefox Support
    I ran in to the same issue. I just clicked the "new posts" and it disappeared. It seems it only shows on an interval of page views, so going to a new page makes it go away.
    By Front Page, I believe you mean:

PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

I have my browser's (Firefox) pop-up blocker enabled and I've never seen a pop-up on the Front Page.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Are you hurting for profits such that we need these annoying banners in the forums?

I at least would like to know, as a patron of this online watering hole, if that money is coming back to us forum members in upgraded services or Something. Yeesh
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Welcome to the 21st Century! Use an ad-block program if you don't want them - easy enough.
    same topic as being discussed here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/treocen...rtisement.html
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    True true. I've gone so far without needing one though

Edit: What's worse is that now many things are integrated between twitter, facebook, and other sites like engadet (or at least that is what Buzz Out Loud people were saying a couple days ago) Meh
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    @cantafford Can you merge
    <<merged>>
  12.    #12  
    Hmmm. I see this request has not gone far... I am still having the same problem.

It's not that I mind the advertisements, its just that it centers on the screen and the ad width is beyond the almost standard resolution of Netbooks. This makes it impossible to 'X" out of the ad. It's just a convenience request.

This is not a traditional, new page pop-up, like the pop-ups of old. Its more like those flash (maybe?) based popups. I use firefox with its popup blocker enabled.
    If you are using either Firefox or Chrome, try this: http://adblockplus.org/en/
    HelloNNNewman is right. I disabled Adblock Plus on my Firefox browser and the ads appeared. Adblock Plus will definitely take care of the OP's problem.
    The OP wasn't objecting to the ads, but to the way they are displayed so they can't be closed. I see this clearly because I run 4 browsers most of the time. Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari. Each of them handles the ads differently. I can't recall which ones work properly and which don't.

But I think the point here is that PreCentral might want to test them with multiple browsers and adjust them so they work better so there isn't a need to block them. Eh?
    I can tell everyone that they don't work right with Safari!
    Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!