View Poll Results: How do you prefer the 'New Posts' page?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Display all new threads, even if you read them already.

22 57.89%
  • Display new threads only if they have unread posts.

16 42.11%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    ....and....... It's back to the way it was!

Thanks Dieter! I'm sure these guys will give you a standing-0 for this one!
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Obviously we have many more web users. I'm going to change it back.
    Thank you!

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    So much nicer Now.. no complaining that you liked the other way, people!!
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    So much nicer Now.. no complaining that you liked the other way, people!!
    Well, the voting was pretty close in my very scientific poll... lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I did make a change to vBvBvB $to$ $make$ $read$ $posts$ $based$ $on$ $the$ $DB$ $instead$ $of$ $on$ $cookies$, $which$ $is$ $why$ $new$ $posts$ $is$ $acting$ $differently$. $I$ $did$ $this$ $so$ $that$ $tapatalk$ $users$ $would$ $have$ $a$ $better$ $experience$ - $I$ $didn$'$t$ $realize$ $it$ $would$ $change$ $the$ $default$ $New$ $Posts$ $behavior$ $for$ $web$ $users$.

Obviously we have many more web users. I'm going to change it back.
    thanks dieter !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I haven't seen too many opposing viewpoints here, so I thought I'd share my 4 cents...

Personally, I don't use New Posts very much to guide my P|C reading... occasionally, but not every day. For me, I almost exclusively use "Subscribed Thread" to read about the things that I follow and are of greatest interest to me. Because of this, I was ECSTATIC about the change to the NEW way P|C was marking forums as read for a few days.

Why?: The old way would essentially erase my "read" status history after a certain time period once I was logged in. Obviously, this has something to do with Cookies on my computer (based on deCorvett's explanation above). Basically, anytime I am logged in and I am not able to read through every "Unread" thread in my subscribed threads list - I'm screwed- because those threads eventually get marked as read and later when new posts are added the "First New Post" button brings me down further than I have actually read at that point -- I've missed entire days and pages of discussion because of this. So, most days, I just feel OBLIGATED to work my way top-to-bottom of every UNREAD thread I subscribe to -- sometimes multiple pages per thread. I waste a lot of time doing this to avoid losing my current place in the thread. Using the new system for several glorious days (database on the server side to track read status by thread), allowed me to skip certain threads for catching up later. I loved it. Obviously, this also facilitates the New Threads tracking for the "Forums Beta" app -- an app which is much less valuable if this cannot be done - since I can't really use that app for quick forum catch-ups if I feel forced to read through all of my unread threads in one sitting.

Having said all of this, what this really comes down to is personal use case and that we all read the forums in different ways. So, while I understand why certain users of New Posts were frustrated, it would seem to me that "New Posts" should only include threads which have NEW posts since the last time you read them! "Today's posts" in combination with the NEW way of marking posts as read, as has been mentioned, would seem like a good compromise. Am I missing something here?

So how do people read the forums and is there a solution that works for all of us? I'd love to hear from others and from P|C forum admins or Dieter about how these two groups of users can be satisfied (the poll seems relatively evenly split). In general, I'm glad we're talking about it, because this has been a HUGE frustration for me with this site for going on 5 years now!!! (and I've never really spoken up about it). My boss would really appreciate it if I did not postpone another meeting for 30 minutes so that I can finish getting through my subscribed threads with new posts!!!

Thanks,

Greenawayj
    Thank god it's back to normal. It was super frustrating using my phone full version. :meh
    agreed
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    @ greenawayj ...agreed..

i used to never use the new posts link.. same like you.. but now i do and its actually more frustrating with the change back.. essentially because i am experiencing 3 negative effect NOW compared to the 1 before.

1. My new Posts thread still works as it did prior to reverting back to the original way, even though i cleared cache cookies etc.., therefore i still use the Todays Posts link in the quick links
    2. If ever my session ends due to closing the browser or logging out i am shown no New posts and even with the Todays posts it marks all forums read
    3. Forums Beta doesnt work properly

i didnt think it would be ths painful... i want the way it was before the last change...
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Thank god it's back to normal. It was super frustrating using my phone full version. :meh
    It sure was, and thank sweet zombie jesus it's back
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Hey Dieter -- any chance you're still following along here? Any chance you and the other members of the P|C Brain Trust can figure out a solution that works for all?

As I noted in my manifesto a few posts above, it seems that we could all find a way to be happy if P|C could implement some minor changes to pre-configured (pun intended) forum views in the full and mobile versions of the site ...

- adding "Recent Threads" (aka Today's Posts) as a menu bar item on the P|C forums landing page (full and mobile versions). "Recent Threads" would include all threads from the previous 24 hours sorted descending by the thread with the most recent post -- all threads shown in this view regardless of their read / unread status

- In this model, "New Posts" (already in the menu bar) would then only show actual New Posts -- those threads that have "Unread" posts since the thread was last opened by a particular user --- as it was gloriously doing for a few days this week.

... Obviously, this would be done alongside changing the 'marked as read' status back to the NEW approach (stored in database and updated to "Read" on a by-thread basis --- and not based on clearing all threads to read-status based on the browser session time. Annoying!!)

Anyway, the poll in this thread seemed to be pretty evenly split on this issue, even though the most vocal had requested you to change it back due to how it impacted their own use case. So, I am legitimately interested in hearing others' opinions and from someone at P|C regarding how the site views this -- and if a win-win solution can be implemented. It's certainly not world peace, but the way it works now seems pretty broken to me (and to others who do their reading based on 'what's new since I last read a particular thread" - especially in the subscribed posts area.)

Thanks for your consideration.

JG
    I am not sure that we can get a "Today's Posts" that behaves like the current 'New Posts' if we switch to the database system. Since that's the way it's worked for a long time and how I think most people prefer it AND it's less intensive on our servers, I won't switch to the new system unless we can be confident that we can keep the original behavior for people that prefer it.

Will try to do some testing this weekend.
    Thanks for continuing to look into it Dieter.

The main reason this became an issue worth raising in the last few weeks is that (for me) the legacy and now again current approach make the "Forums Beta" app fairly useless for following new posts.... It's OK to manage my forum reading when at a PC, but from the Pre it's fairly hard if all my threads get marked as read as soon as I open the app to read just one or two.

While, I do hope it can be done, I'll understand if not and i'll just continue to adapt my own use and visit the site less frequently (but for longer periods of time)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345