View Poll Results: How do you prefer the 'New Posts' page?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Display all new threads, even if you read them already.

22 57.89%
  • Display new threads only if they have unread posts.

16 42.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So that's what happened. Now I have to go to Quick Links/Today's Posts for the same functionality. UGH!!
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Was wondering what was going on!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I did indeed ask. Actually I PM'd the site admin... Hopefully he can either help or tell me who to ask. I'm kind of wondering if it is a change caused by updating settings for the Tap@Talk client. Timing seems to coincide with that...
    Try cleaning your cookies. The only change made is for allowing the client show the read threads properly. Maybe your cookies are conflicting with the new configuration.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    This is particularly aggravating in the unofficial Pre|Central app.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I would like to add my name to the list of frustrated regulars. The new posts feature is my primary way of following the site, the new format really creates a problem for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I did indeed ask. Actually I PM'd the site admin... Hopefully he can either help or tell me who to ask. I'm kind of wondering if it is a change caused by updating settings for the Tap@Talk client. Timing seems to coincide with that...
    so tap@talk is server side? If this is required for tap@talk to work I would say it does more harm than good for most forum users.
    for what it's worth, a thread I started yesterday does not show up in New Posts. http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...31#post2714031

I just bumped it and still nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I would like to add my name to the list of frustrated regulars. The new posts feature is my primary way of following the site, the new format really creates a problem for that.

so tap@talk is server side? If this is required for tap@talk to work I would say it does more harm than good for most forum users.
    It's not required, just recommended. But do as I've suggested and try cleaning your cookies.

I'll try to clarify this:

Forums (it's the definitive name of the app) uses a plugin on the server side to interact with the forum engine.

This plugin is totally independent of the forum, and doesn't affect at all to the forum.

But, for the app being able to show the unread posts, topics and forums accurately, it needs to change the tracking configuration of the forum, as forum systems usually uses cookies on the browser side to store this data. After changing this configuration, the unread tracking data is stored in the forum's database, but maybe your cookies are sending tracking info to the forum and causing this issue.

9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    This is particularly aggravating in the unofficial Pre|Central app.
    Yea, it sucks when you're using the mobile forums...

I think most of the regulars here primarily use the 'New Posts' link to browse the forums... Maybe if we could have a 'Today's Posts' link right next to the 'New Posts' link? I know we can click the Quicklinks then go to Today's Posts, but that's annoying since I click the New Posts link very frequently lol

for what it's worth, a thread I started yesterday does not show up in New Posts. http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...31#post2714031

I just bumped it and still nothing.
    With how 'New Posts' is currently set up, if you bump a thread it still won't show up until someone else posts to it...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    It's not required, just recommended. But do as I've suggested and try cleaning your cookies.

I just cleared my cookies and cache. Didn't help...
    This is really annoying. Usually I would have 6-7 pages when clicking new posts, now it's always 20 pages Me No Likey
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I just cleared my cookies and cache. Didn't help...
    Same here
    I was just signing on to start a thread to complain about this, and here I see that there is one already.

As someone mentioned, the "Quick Links -> Today's Posts" is a fair workaround. However, this option is not available in the Mobile forums, and it's actually on the Mobile forums that I'm more likely to want to be able to see threads I've posted in show up, as stuff is harder to find in general.

Any possiblity this can be changed back to the way it used to work? Or is it a change in the forum software that PreCentral has no control over?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I was just signing on to start a thread to complain about this, and here I see that there is one already.

As someone mentioned, the "Quick Links -> Today's Posts" is a fair workaround. However, this option is not available in the Mobile forums, and it's actually on the Mobile forums that I'm more likely to want to be able to see threads I've posted in show up, as stuff is harder to find in general.

Any possiblity this can be changed back to the way it used to work? Or is it a change in the forum software that PreCentral has no control over?
    if you log out of precentral and view the mobile site, the "todays posts" link replaces the "new posts" link, and works for browsing. However it is a bit of a pain to re-login every time you want to post.
    if you log out of precentral and view the mobile site, the "todays posts" link replaces the "new posts" link, and works for browsing. However it is a bit of a pain to re-login every time you want to post.
    yeah i would say so windzilla !!! geez that would bite !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I wonder if Science Apps can add a "Today's Posts" link to their PreCentral app....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Actually I think the above might be a good possibility... all he would have to do is change the link:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/search.php?do=getnew

to:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/search.php?do=getdaily
    My device history:

- Jim J.

hi !

it seems that those 2 links show the same result. you want to change because you don't have to be logged in to view new posts?

however, everytime i use precentral app,I stay logged in.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    hi !

it seems that those 2 link show the same result. you want to change because you don't have to be logged in to view new posts?

however, everytime i use precentral app,I stay logged in.
    'New Posts' doesn't show recent threads that you read already anymore...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast