Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    To the PC owners/editors/article writers.... You're still missing the point, YOU just shot the palm dev coomunity in the foot, we want to test our apps against the new version and doing what you did just made it harder, yes the ***** who leaked it is to blame, but hurting dev's the way you did is wrong and stupid on your part, why would you try and kill the great relationship palm has with the dev's on such a small issue as a VKB. Yes I know you where not available when Derek posted the article but Derek must be reigned in and kept in check, its not the first time one of his articles have caused problems
    Abe, I love your apps, but...

We're not "missing the point", but many of us ARE disagreeing w/ you.

If a dev leaks something, THEY are the ones breaking THEIR NDA, Reporters report.

...and thank god they do... Watergate, (remember "deep throat"? he "leaked" everything, and Woodward and Bernstein reported.) Contra-gate, and all the other big news story's over the years, would have never seen the light of day.

<<now we have a new leak by the same guy tian tao from wacko land china, thanks P|C for hosting the leakers>>

So, yes, thank-you Pre Central, ...for doing your job. and doing it well.

Hey, and lighten up on the "wacko land china" stuff, I have friends and relatives from China, so... play nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Abe, I love your apps, but...

We're not "missing the point", but many of us ARE disagreeing w/ you.

If a dev leaks something, THEY are the ones breaking THEIR NDA, Reporters report.

...and thank god they do... Watergate, (remember "deep throat"? he "leaked" everything, and Woodward and Bernstein reported.) Contra-gate, and all the other big news story's over the years, would have never seen the light of day.

<<now we have a new leak by the same guy tian tao from wacko land china, thanks P|C for hosting the leakers>>

So, yes, thank-you Pre Central, ...for doing your job. and doing it well.
    Problem is

DO YOU WANT the devs to get the access they need to test their apps to make sure thay work with the next update...

OR DO YOU rather want to know whats going to come now, but when it comes get a half-assed beta webOS 2.0, ().

I could leak all the information and actually leak some of the updated apps if I wanted to, but I'm not doing it because, in the future I want to be able to get my apps ready for the next update to satisfy my users.
    Abe,

... You said "I could leak all the information and actually leak some of the updated apps if I wanted to, but I'm not doing it because..." of the NDA.

Leaks are inevitable.

Well. What do you propose for a solution?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Problem is

DO YOU WANT the devs to get the access they need to test their apps to make sure thay work with the next update...

OR DO YOU rather want to know whats going to come now, but when it comes get a half-assed beta webOS 2.0, ().

I could leak all the information and actually leak some of the updated apps if I wanted to, but I'm not doing it because, in the future I want to be able to get my apps ready for the next update to satisfy my users.
    I WANT you to stop over-reacting..... ;-) But, it's OK, I don't NEED you to! I'll just ignore this thread, ... it's all good. (as the kids say)

Relax, chill out, and come on down to Cape Cod, and I'll buy you a cold beverage, and we can go ask stupid questions at the Apple store.... :-D

(I LOVE PreCentral, ...they better keep reporting, or then, I'll be p i s s ed off!)
    Guys, this is hardly an Alpha or earlier release, leaking beta specifics hardly does Palm or the developers any harm.. Closing down the program for a day hardly changes anything with developers either.. Compared to new releases of iOS and Android, developer access to early releases is a walk in the park in comparison.

I'm surprised by the overreaction on both sides.

I also laugh at the fact people think any code leak at this phase is going to hurt Palm.. If other larger competitors really cared about the palm source in beta phase, they probably have an insider in the program in the first place I'd be surprised if Palm were not doing the same with its competitors.
    The irony of Derek posting about the leak, is that HP has probably started bugging his phone. Can't wait till all the details of how Derek's wife bosses him around get leaked
    Can't we all be friends? Palm needs to be careful because although this is a tight community, things like this will prevent it from growing. I agree that Palm is playing with fire, and every move they make is heavily scrutinized here. I only hope that Palm learns from it's mistake here and extends an olive branch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Relax, chill out, and come on down to Cape Cod, and I'll buy you a cold beverage,
    green apple bite smirnoff?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Abe,

... You said "I could leak all the information and actually leak some of the updated apps if I wanted to, but I'm not doing it because..." of the NDA.

Leaks are inevitable.

Well. What do you propose for a solution?
    I would love it if P|C could report these things as rumors
  10.    #50  
    green apple bite smirnoff?
    Too froofy. Come to Miami and I'll buy you a scotch
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by kkhanmd
    If precenral had not published this story than they would have lost credibility from me

Someone else would have published it!
    Apparently not. It was posted in a PC forum and only became widely known when it hit the front page and Palm reacted to the wider dev community.

I was mostly kidding, but truly it shows the influence of PC because they are the only reason anyone knew about it. The other sites missed it until Palm reacted.

It goes to show you that webOSroundup and engadget need to spend more time in the PreCentral forums!
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I think Dieter's post is excellent, as to be expected. My main thought about this is how this harkens back a bit to some of the heavy-handedness that Palm displayed with the PreDevCamp community before the Pre was launched, which alienated a slew of devs. Luckily, this got corrected and relations have been mostly excellent since. Obviously, this one incident doesn't compare, but it's a bit remeniscent all the same. I've been saying for months that Palm needs to have leaks because leaks are GOOD. They generate buzz, rumors, etc. HP has a particular culture that may frown upon leaks of any kind. Heck, Palm itself has a history of at least trying to keep things under wraps as long as possible. Strategically, some might say that they were correct to do so and they came out at CES in 2009 with something that surprised and amazed everyone (WebOS and the Pre). But also look at home much hype there was around the iPad. Not a lot of details, but still, HP/Palm's problem right now is that they are a very dark horse when it comes to mobile OS's and phones. Really they should be trying to generate buzz and publicity whenever they can. I understand the strategy of trying to cause a big stir from a big reveal, but little leaks and slips can help and as long as you don't reveal a few big juicy chunks, you still have some stuff left over to wow people with. The whole package displayed in video, live, with these additional pieces, will still be very exciting because a) they are a lot more dynamic than just a few screenshots and lots of speculation, and b) they are official.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Apparently not. It was posted in a PC forum and only became widely known when it hit the front page and Palm reacted to the wider dev community.

I was mostly kidding, but truly it shows the influence of PC because they are the only reason anyone knew about it. The other sites missed it until Palm reacted.

It goes to show you that webOSroundup and engadget need to spend more time in the PreCentral forums!
    Thanks for the info and I agree "It goes to show you that webOSroundup and engadget need to spend more time in the PreCentral forums!"
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123