1.    #1  
    Not new to palm, still consider myself in start up phase with pre; used to using app search sites like PalmGear.com. am finding the search for apps on Pre Central exhausting, time consuming and terribly inefficient!

The search boxes offer a way to search by category - yet NO categories are listed or selectable! A drop down box or list with clickable links should be located within these areas.

When typing in a search term there doesn't seem to be much continuity or the search engine within the Pre Central site gets stumped easily - I have better results using web search engines then following the links to an app from OUTSIDE of Pre central!

Case in point: I downloaded Minimum Brightness (To allow me to reduce the screen brightness to its lowest point) but I think this app /patch is interfering with the Phone app so I UNinstalled it from the PRE.

I want to write a heads up to the developer about my experience and could not remember exactly WHERE I got "Minimum Brghtness from - App Catalog? App Gallery? Homebrew? Can't even recall if I downloaded from the cloud, or via Wi Fi or from WebOsQi so I came to PreCentral to locate the app and cannot even locate it from a simple search in the App Gallery!

This is EXTREMELY frustrating, time consuming and terribly inefficient.

Sure hope this searchability improves!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    That's a recognized problem, it's even been mentioned in the Palmcast.
    Searching in Preware is much better.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Ugh this is one of my main problems with this OS. Wasn't this to be fixed in a coming update? I thougt I saw something about this in the dev day slides from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    Ugh this is one of my main problems with this OS. Wasn't this to be fixed in a coming update? I thougt I saw something about this in the dev day slides from Palm.
    The OP is talking about precentral's search engine and not the palm app catalogue.
    But yes palm did mention the app catalogues search engine in the dev day and said they are trying to fix it.
    don't know if precentral are changing their search options though
    there is supposed to be a redesigned app catalog coming soon. it was mentioned during the dev conference recently. ironically, the search capability is actually better in the preware catalog. if you turn on the palm feeds, you can search the palm catalog from within preware... one more example of how good the home brewing is for webOS...
  7.    #7  
    Yes, I do see category search from within Preware while on my Pre - but I don't ALWAYS search for stuff on the PRE - I like to utilize PRE Centralfor insight from other users before I delve into a patch.

In this particular case I am experiencing a bug and was wanting a way to post the issue to the specific area/ developer/ tweak and figured a simple search in PRE-CENTRAL would be the place to start. But this is turning into a Sisyphean task!

You'd expect to have limited searchability from a mobile device - but a widely used internet forum? Since searching for "minimum brightness" or "minimum brightness tweak" or minimum brightness patch" brings up woefully few posts - from either the general forum search or the app catalog search guess I'll start my quest in a blank thread!

Having categories to select from as a drop down menu or clickable links would be a great way for users to simply browse the app catalog from Pre-Central without having to wade through from the beginning! I don't know about you but page after page of scrolling is NOT my idea of efficiently locating information!

Even the app store for Android "DOES" utilize a drop down list from their category search bar. Apple's app search is more graphic intensive and at first glance focuses only on "featured" apps, but still categorizes them for the browsing user.
    I have to agree with the OP. There is drop down boxes for selecting catagories for the preware section of the catalog, but none for the official catalog. You actually have to type in the actual catagory name. I know it is just a few key strokes, but it is annoying and I dont understand why its done for one but not the other?
    YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!

Palm Pre
    Bell Mobility

Patches: 4x4Iconsv1, Add Date MM/DD,Default to Month View, Device Warning Temperatures, Enable Add/Delete Pages, Glass Effect, More Reminder Times, SMS to Two Seconds, Unhide Dev Mode, Unthrottle Download Manager
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    We are working on improving a lot of things on the backend. I can't give an ETA, but hopefully won't be too much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    That's a recognized problem, it's even been mentioned in the Palmcast.
    After reading the thread more carefully, I realize I mininterpreted the OP. I thought the reference was to searching within the app catalog on the device (which truly does suck).

My apologies.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  12.    #12  
    vza33,

I am well aware of how utilize the search menu for Pre Central and it's various forums.

what you aren't getting is that browsing for an application from the app gallery on Pre Central is cumbersome, inefficient and lacks a simple drop down list of categories to search within.

Ironically the Homebrew section for apps DOES have just such a drop down menu! So it's a simple fix on the website.

Dieter mentions he's looking into it. I have faith it will be accomplished soon.

This is just a simple heads up from someone new to the Pre (but NOT the Forums) and wanting a quick way to locate apps and info about them.

Rather like going grocery shopping . You can browse the bread aisle (category) and then examine various loaves or buns (apps) before making a selection. But if you can't even get to the aisle (category) how do you know what bread there is to purchase, much less try?

looking forward to the fix!
    Cheers!