Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I tried to type that I was a J-e-w in a post about religion, and it blocked the word?

    Is there a reason my faith is a dirty word here?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Hi. I tried to type that I was a J-e-w in a post about religion, and it blocked the word?

    Is there a reason my faith is a dirty word here?
    Unfortunately there are many words out there that can be derogatory when used in a certain context. I am sure that is what has happened. You could always just say that you are Jewish.
  3. #3  
    It is banned because a minority of people use it as a word to insult others.
    They have not banned the word because of what is stands for (yours and others religion) but rather because of how a small few who use it to insult.
  4. #4  
    That's just silly. In an attempt to be politically correct, one has to discriminate upon a religion by banning the word? Any word could be used as an insult, if so intended. Personally, I would feel offended myself, if I could not use the most direct way to describe myself and instead have to resort to workarounds.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I'm not so much offended as I am... perplexed.

    It's mainly just an adjustment. On the other three forums I spend my time on, someone using a word in a derogatory manner would be temp banned, then banned again instead of the word being "blacked out", you know? If anything, it seems more like a "patch" for the issue.

    Still, it's not my forum and I abide by what the Mods decide. I'll just have to find other ways to mention it it, as some suggest, if there's some sort of need.
  6. #6  
    Hello, we are the Knights who say 'Nee', and there is only one word that is banned here, and I won't be able to tell you what it is....AAARRRGGGHHH! I said it! I said it again! Oh the humanity of it all....AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

    Sorry, vague reference to (read "blatant stealing of lines from") Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

    BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a shrubbery, would you?
  7. #7  
    You're right, 'perplexed' would be the better word. I'll be honest with you, I thought it must be some sort of bug for you and you alone, so I went ahead and tested it for myself. I tried all the major religions out there and I can only confirm what you described: The word J.e.w. is officially censored, while none of the others are.

    Being the Political Scientist student that I am, however, I always feel an urge to set things right (or what I believe to be right, anyhow) and question the system, rather than abide by it. I can't help it, they drill it into us at Grad School. ;-) So personally, I would like to see it changed, in the spirit of equality and the 'oh so beloved (un)word' political correctness.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Hello, we are the Knights who say 'Nee', and there is only one word that is banned here, and I won't be able to tell you what it is....AAARRRGGGHHH! I said it! I said it again! Oh the humanity of it all....AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

    Sorry, vague reference to (read "blatant stealing of lines from") Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

    BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a shrubbery, would you?
    All MP&THG quotes are awesome.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelas View Post
    That's just silly. In an attempt to be politically correct, one has to discriminate upon a religion by banning the word? Any word could be used as an insult, if so intended. Personally, I would feel offended myself, if I could not use the most direct way to describe myself and instead have to resort to workarounds.
    I would have to slightly disagree with this. I don't think that any word can be used as an insult solely on the fact that it is intended that way. If no one else uses it as offensive and they don't know what it means, then is it really offensive? If I called you a table, would be be offended even if I meant it as an insult? I would guess probably not because you would have no idea what I'm talking about.

    That being said, it's unfortunate that some words have been abused by some and banned from this site. Ultimately, it is not our site so we don't get to make the rules. I respect that and will abide by them regardless of how perplexing it may seem. No real harm in asking the question though.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I would have to slightly disagree with this. I don't think that any word can be used as an insult solely on the fact that it is intended that way. If no one else uses it as offensive and they don't know what it means, then is it really offensive? If I called you a table, would be be offended even if I meant it as an insult? I would guess probably not because you would have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Point taken. I will have to revise my statement: Not every word can be used as an insult just out of thin air. You're absolutely right. I also believe intonation and facial expressions play a vital role in this, which are of course rather lacking via the internet. But please, whatever you say, I don't want to be a table!!

    But in all honesty, I am just as perplexed that the word J.e.w. would be used in a derogatory way. Of course I am aware of the historical usage (and this history goes beyond 20th century events), but in this time and date? It's really saddening and leaves me at a loss for words. Maybe it's just for the fact that I am from a non-English background, but I can honestly and gladly say that I have not witnessed its misuse. I pray it remains that way, because I sure would not stand for it.

    Personally, my disagreement with this particular policy does not affect my future usage of this forum. I still enjoy it just the same, but it is just like you and the OP have said, "Doesn't hurt to ask the question." I would even go one step further and say, it also doesn't hurt to try and bring about change. All within reason, of course. I would love to hear a statement from a moderator who can provide more insight.
  11. #11  
    The censored words list is really simpler than that.

    It is not about political correctness. It is about the fact that we only have a handful of moderators for the PreCentral/TreoCentral smart phone forum.

    This is a forum about smart phones and related software. That is why we exist. The only place you can mention religion or politics is in Off Topic. The Off Topic forum causes more problems post-for-post than all of the other forums combined. So many problems that we need a team of mods just for Off Topic.

    Until last year we were constantly banning users for language and hateful usage. We said enough. We went back through the words that were most often said in hate and put them on a censored words list.

    So words that are often used in hatred such as "Why do you have to be such a ___?" or "You are just another ___-boy!" are gone unless they have a legitimate usage in a smart phone forum.

    It was like magic.

    The hate and anger all but evaporated. The people wanting to call others those names found new homes. Regular users started coming here in droves, growing from 130,000 to 366,000 today.

    There are many forums to discuss your religion. There are many forums to talk about sexual preferences.

    This is a forum to talk about smart phones.

    If you ever find a word that is needed to discuss smart phones that is censored, please let us know.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/10/2010 at 10:14 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Well, that makes sense.

    I guess I just never thought of J e w as a hateful word before now. It's just... what I am.

    Still, like you said, this is a forum about smartphones.

    Thanks for the response.
  13. #13  
    But there is a webOS program on being a "Good J E W", so it may be legitimately related to smartphones. There are also versions of the B I B L E in WebOS... the K O R A N, etc. A shame that banning the evil people who abuse others is not easier to do than just banning "words".
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  14. #14  
    The hard part about the word J e w, is that it not only represents a faith, but a whole race of people. One, I might add, that has been put through a lot over time.

    I think that banning a word will increase the stigma associated with using a word even in proper context. Giving a normal word a metaphorical "scarlet letter" is counter-productive when 95% of the time it is used properly. Our world will never get past our prejudices if we continually ban everyday words that a few dunderheads use as a slur.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  15. #15  
    I think we can all just agree to blame southpark. Those who don't know how it can be derogatory can probably watch almost any episode and see what I am talking about.
  16. #16  
    Yeah. They won't let you post a tutorial on how to f-s-c-k the filesystem on your phone either. Censorship is stupid. Moderate if you must, but seriously, censoring words destroys communication, regardless of intent.
    : (){:|:&};:
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The censored words list is really simpler than that.

    It is not about political correctness. It is about the fact that we only have a handful of moderators for the PreCentral/TreoCentral smart phone forum.

    This is a forum about smart phones and related software. That is why we exist. The only place you can mention religion or politics is in Off Topic. The Off Topic forum causes more problems post-for-post than all of the other forums combined. So many problems that we need a team of mods just for Off Topic.

    Until last year we were constantly banning users for language and hateful usage. We said enough. We went back through the words that were most often said in hate and put them on a censored words list.

    So words that are often used in hatred such as "Why do you have to be such a ___?" or "You are just another ___-boy!" are gone unless they have a legitimate usage in a smart phone forum.

    It was like magic.

    The hate and anger all but evaporated. The people wanting to call others those names found new homes. Regular users started coming here in droves, growing from 130,000 to 366,000 today.

    There are many forums to discuss your religion. There are many forums to talk about sexual preferences.

    This is a forum to talk about smart phones.

    If you ever find a word that is needed to discuss smart phones that is censored, please let us know.

    - Craig
    **** (that would be eff ess see kay). How that is on the banned words list is beyond me. And if people want to use it as an alternative for cursing, I say let them. They are censoring themselves with it, so probably not out to ruin the precious forums with vitriolic hate. They could just say 'frak' instead, so I still don't see the significance of banning a frakking linux command name.
    : (){:|:&};:
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    **** (that would be eff ess see kay). How that is on the banned words list is beyond me. And if people want to use it as an alternative for cursing, I say let them. They are censoring themselves with it, so probably not out to ruin the precious forums with vitriolic hate. They could just say 'frak' instead, so I still don't see the significance of banning a frakking linux command name.
    The bottom line is that the forums are privately owned. We are all here at their pleasure, but the owners get to make the rules.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    If I called you a table, would be be offended even if I meant it as an insult? I would guess probably not because you would have no idea what I'm talking about.
    "Table"? Take that back!!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The bottom line is that the forums are privately owned. We are all here at their pleasure, but the owners get to make the rules.
    I like the way they do it over at woot.com

    They replace the words with funny words or phrases. Some are just funny, but the more offensive, the more the replacement phrase reflects poorly on the poster.

    So a really bad word might be displayed as "I haven't showered in weeks" or "I'm afraid of clowns so I don't own a mirror", etc.

    They change them for variety and lighthearted amusement. They also do it for over-used words, like "first", and terms that are specific to woot users - "bag of crap" becomes "bandoleer of carrots" or "boring old crabapple". It all becomes an inside joke to amuse everyone.

    It prevents the issues that this forum allows the word "Jesus" but not the race or faith he grew up in...

    ...just a suggestion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions