Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    When is the word "J e w" on its own ever an insult?
    To be fair, I know that saying someone "Jewed you over" is a diss... do we block "gyped"?

    And, no, you cannot write just that you are "J e wish" because the first three letters will be blocked out.
    Jewish worked.

    H itler is another word on the censorship list. How this could be an insult is anyone's guess ("You have a moustache that reminds me of H itler's!" Ooooh, burn!)

    N azi is yet another.
    Well, saying "you're just like Hit-youknowwho" os "that's what the Nazwords" would do" are bandied about a LOT on the internet.

    All of this may be moot anyhow, because Palm is dead and, soon, soon will TC. (or is that some sort of insult that is going to get me censored?)
    For a company that's "dead", HP sure seemed interested.

    Hand to M-d, here... did not intend to start a "thing".
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Interesting observation. Does the censorship of the word "J ew" also lead to posters talking less about "J ews" and Judaism?

    Does censoring the word, in fact, work to censor the ideas of the religion and the culture?
    I don't think it "censors" anything. My understanding that "censorship" is something only a government can do.

    What they do here is filtering. I might filter differently, but I still appreciate that they do so it is safe for me to show to co-workers and family members.

    I'm glad for the value I get from this forum, and I don't get wrapped around the axle about how they decide to run the site. Sort of a glass-half-full thing, I guess.

    Although for those that are engineers, it's not half full or half empty, its a container with redundant capacity... but I digress.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    HP bought the company but it's not going to keep the name "Palm" on its products. HP bought WebOS, not the Palm operating system found in Treos.

    So yes, Treo is dead; Palm is dead.

    WebOS is seemingly alive but who knows?
    And you know this because....?

    How did they treat the name Compaq? That probably will indicate their most likely direction. It doesn't matter to me, as long as they stop using names like Pixi and Pre... which don't tell a prospect anything about the device, and sound "weak" at best...

    As in, "Hey Ralph, I'll order pizza for the superbowl party on my *pixi*. Hey guys, let me show you why I love my *pixi* and couldn't live without it."

    or "Hey Mack, after our soccer scrimmage, let's get some barbeque. I found a local sportsbar on my *Pre*. You should see all the cool stuff I can *do* with my *pre*, especially when I'm waiting for a meeting...I'm never bored when I have my *Pre* with me."

    Read those out loud in a rough voice and you will see what I mean...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/10/2010 at 12:54 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Ummm...Censorship is something only a government can do?

    Really?

    Filtering is another way to say Censorship.

    As a private entity, TC has every right to do what it wants--but it's still censorship. I would, however, like to determine what's safe for me to show my co-workers and family members, not an outside entity.
    Yes. Filtering keeps you from saying it HERE. Censorship keeps you from saying it ANYWHERE.

    The meaning has become more generic over the years, but the distinction still matters... IMHO

    You get to determine what is safe by choosing where you take them. If this site doesn't meet your definition, you don't take them here. But if I am more easily offended, your "decision" shouldn't impact what I see if we both come to this site...

    That's why you can't put pron on a billboard by the highway, but you can put it in a book. We decide by opening the book, etc etc...

    ...just sayin'
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    HP bought the company but it's not going to keep the name "Palm" on its products. HP bought WebOS, not the Palm operating system found in Treos.

    So yes, Treo is dead; Palm is dead.

    WebOS is seemingly alive but who knows?
    Got a source for that? Because they've kept the Compaq name.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Interestingly, "Jewed over"--the real insult--got right through the filters but J ew--never an insult-- doesn't.
    Growing up I thought the term was "chewed" as in "chewing down a price". I felt really stupid the first (and only time) I said that as an adult to a friend that happened to be jewish. He was quick to set me straight in a nice way, but I still felt really ignorant for not knowing that. It turns out that the term "gyp" or the phrase "they gyp-ed me" has a similar origin from the gypsy camps in eastern europe. I never used those terms again.

    I think it's important to know stuff like that. But we shouldn't take it to far, as in "our canine-american just had puppies"...

    ...just sayin'
  7. #27  
    If only you all saw the volume of reported posts...

    The filtered words list is in fact a part of the software we use. But consider some of the posts we delete...

    "You and all you H itler buddies...don't you have a rally to go to you N azi?"

    The Jewish references are worse.

    Our goal as moderators is to delete 99% of this stuff before anyone sees it.

    The filters keep things from exploding. The filters prevent 20 infractions for every 1 that we still have to give.

    Most users truly do NOT come here to talk about any of these things. There are way better forums for religion, sex, etc.

    Of the 366,000 users, all but about 200 are here for help with their smart phones. Could we please put our efforts into helping others?

    - Craig
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

    Our goal as moderators is to delete 99% of this stuff before anyone sees it.

    The filters keep things from exploding. The filters prevent 20 infractions for every 1 that we still have to give.

    - Craig
    Wow, I didn't realize there was that much garbage being posted. And you guys do this as volunteers. Let me just say "thanks" for all that volunteer effort. Please pass that on to the other moderators, so they all can feel appreciated for what must be a thankless job.

    Thank you very much!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Really? Where are you getting this warped definition from? "Filtering" is a type of Censorship.

    I'm not saying all censorship is terrible--for example, I don't think Billboards of p ornography on the highway would be appropriate (now, why is "p orn" censored??)--but that's just me. Others may argue for such Billboards. Either way, not allowing it is censorship--the owner of the Billboard is not free to place to the pictures on his Billboard. There may actually be no laws against it--but there's alot of self-censorship we do in order not to offend.

    I'm not saying that the program that determines what should be censored on TC is evil--it's just a slave to puritanical America.

    America has grown up now and these words don't offend most people. Sure, you can always find someone who is offended by the word, p enis, for example, but should we really cater to the lowest common denominator particularly when p enis is just the proper name for a body part?
    This is a phone site, not a p enis site.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The censored words list is really simpler than that.

    It is not about political correctness. It is about the fact that we only have a handful of moderators for the PreCentral/TreoCentral smart phone forum.

    This is a forum about smart phones and related software. That is why we exist. The only place you can mention religion or politics is in Off Topic. The Off Topic forum causes more problems post-for-post than all of the other forums combined. So many problems that we need a team of mods just for Off Topic.

    Until last year we were constantly banning users for language and hateful usage. We said enough. We went back through the words that were most often said in hate and put them on a censored words list.

    So words that are often used in hatred such as "Why do you have to be such a ___?" or "You are just another ___-boy!" are gone unless they have a legitimate usage in a smart phone forum.

    It was like magic.

    The hate and anger all but evaporated. The people wanting to call others those names found new homes. Regular users started coming here in droves, growing from 130,000 to 366,000 today.

    There are many forums to discuss your religion. There are many forums to talk about sexual preferences.

    This is a forum to talk about smart phones.

    If you ever find a word that is needed to discuss smart phones that is censored, please let us know.

    - Craig
    Can't you just censor the 7 words that can't be said on TV? The fact that f-a-n-b-o-y is censored is just ridiculous.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    or "Hey Mack, after our soccer scrimmage, let's get some barbeque. I found a local sportsbar on my *Pre*. You should see all the cool stuff I can *do* with my *pre*, especially when I'm waiting for a meeting...I'm never bored when I have my *Pre* with me."

    Read those out loud in a rough voice and you will see what I mean...
    Somewhat off-topic here, but I am having trouble seeing your point? Could you tell me what possible phone names you find more appropriate? From this point of view, everywhere I look there are naming faux pas: Evo, Incredible, Spiro, Vivaz, Elm,... the list could go on and on. Out of all of the above I actually find the Palm Pre amongst the better named phones.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelas View Post
    Somewhat off-topic here, but I am having trouble seeing your point? Could you tell me what possible phone names you find more appropriate? From this point of view, everywhere I look there are naming faux pas: Evo, Incredible, Spiro, Vivaz, Elm,... the list could go on and on. Out of all of the above I actually find the Palm Pre amongst the better named phones.
    LOL, I was poking fun at the way Palm and verizon kept positioning the Pre as a phone for women... One series of commercials had the tag line that it is the only phone that "can keep up with a busy mom"... And to me, the Pre and Pixi names are feminine sounding. A Pixi is another name for a fairy like you see flying around the Disney Magic Castle, etc.


    I terms of names, my point is that most phones have names that don't tell about them. The best name (of course) is iPhone. Even without the iEverything branding of apple, it tells you what it does. An internet-centric phone... Perfect.

    Blackberry has a few good ones. Curve was the first with the rounded style, the Tour had international capabilities, etc (assuming everyone already knows what a blackberry is). Or the LG Touch (tells me it had a touch screen before they were so common). Razr told us it was thin...

    I always wanted Palm to return to the "Pilot" name, but apparently they had to stop using it because the Pilot pen company wouldn't let them... Which os ridiculous.

    So we need to help them come up with either a meaningful name, or one that is recognizable (like Blackberry, Droid).

    HP owns names like iPaq that they could use, as well as some new names in their PC brands that they could tie in to...

    Does that make sense?


    Anyway, most phones have really stupid names (like Chocolate)
  13. #33  
    yes Craig this about smart phones. Why even have the off-topic fourm?? lets keep it about Palm Pres And Pixi and Apps. software .and stuff like that?
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  14. #34  
    Why the heck is fan boys considered a bad word???
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions